Strange Handling

jonnymac

Hi Guys,

I have had the V11 now nearly a week. it has some curious handling traits, that doesn't seem normal to me.

When going into bends it seems to fall into them, much faster than expected. It's almost unnerving. It seems to wander a little on the road to, especially at low speed and sometimes is a little difficult to hold a line.

My thoughts are swingarm bushes/bearings, but being new to this model, I thought i'd ask if there is anything know to cause this?

Thanks in advance

What is the fromt / rear tire pressure ? Get the bike up on center andhave someone hold the front of the bike . Then try prying the swingarm from side to side . 

If you are uncomfortable with the handling , ask the former owner or someone you trust for helping sort this out .

Sounds like sticking steering damper/steering head bearings. I *assume* you know how to check the steering head bearings? You can take the damper off, of course, to see if that is causing it.

The thing is..strange handling is *not* what a V11S is about,  :)  so something is causing it.

After looking at tire/damper/bearings per above, take a look at your suspension. Start with the position of the forks - are they in the original spot, or are they sticking up out of the triple-clamps too much? Then measure sag to see if you need different springs.

• Like 1

After looking at tire/damper/bearings per above, take a look at your suspension. Start with the position of the forks - are they in the original spot, or are they sticking up out of the triple-clamps too much? Then measure sag to see if you need different springs.

Agreed , and the 40mm Marzocchi forks are terribly soft if that's what your bike has . Check the external settings on those. 

When I first got my 2000 sport, I did about 2k miles of commuting on it and with the narrow rear and sticky compound tires the rear tire (not sure how old it was to begin with) was pretty square.  Talk about dropping in fast and uncomfortable, again (see above), it is something worth checking.

Well I took it in this morning. Not only did it have the wheel spacers in the wrong side, it had the wrong wheel bearings in. Seems much more stable now. It still tips in quite quickly, but the vagueness and meandering has gone.

• Like 1

A little more info.  Is the bike a redframe or newer?   The redframes have quicker handling. BTW-  I wouldn't go stiffer with the front end, just the opposite. 

I love the handling on my redframe but high speed handling can be a bit twitchy, especially with HB bags mounted on the back.  To compensate, I've found that 30lb in the front tire and 40 in the rear work OK.  But that's not so good in the twisties when the bags are off, 34/38 works much better for sport riding (no bags).