Hopes for EICMA 2017/ Guzzi's 100th . . .

docc

While the Guzzi is a pretty little thing, I was hoping to hear of some oil or water cooling & re-engineering that would take Guzzi further into the future. Shrug !

It is going to be really interesting to learn what this "new" engine actually is. Is it just another iteration of the small block? Don't get me wrong, I think this is a compelling platform and I hope the world continues to embrace it:

586085-16x9-lg.jpg

It keeps being repeated that the V85 is a completely new motor . . . :huh2:

I think it's pretty cool that they introduced the new engine mounted in a Sawz-All (which I like), but we all know where this is going: applying the *new* driveline to other platforms leading to the next Moto Guzzi Sport/LeMans . . . :race:

The V9, when introduced. had a boss in the center like they were planning a 4V from the beginning. I've read 5V..maybe. A new LeMans would be what it takes to get me to open my wallet, but I may be too old to ride it by the time it comes to fruition.  :oldgit:  I'm still waiting on the Ippo. 

IIRC, Yamaha built 5 valve engines for about 20 years for their 4 cyl performance bikes.  Ferrari tried it in F1.  Mostly abandoned due to complexity and little performance gains.  The pentroof 4 valve design appears to be the standard. 

Yamaha's last 5v engines were eliminated from production maybe 10 years ago. Yamaha started to abandon the concept after Rossi tested several MotoGP prototype engines.  Rossi selected the 4v "big bang" inline 4 cyl.  Most MotoGP engines, whether inline or V4 engines, run 4v / 4 cyl big bang engines.  Yamaha R1 sportbike is a street version and the new Ducati V4 superbike is also street version of their GP design.

When Yamaha came out with the 5V heads their 750s were the fastest on the market. So they used this concept further on for marketing reasons.

When the 750 Suzukis came out they were also the fastest 750 bikes. Those were white and blue. So they used this colour concept further on for marketing reasons.

You could make the same story for the Ducati Desmo patents. They seldom were the fastest bikes, instead won 2 or 3 important race events, so they sticked to it for marketing reasons.

Originally the idea was to get rid of valve spring problems with their high reving race engines. An idea that could help to solve our G/B spring problems as well :)

The size of the valve cover on this new Guzzi motor certainly doesn’t look enough bigger for a cam; perhaps not even so many valves.

Without any reference for size, I can’t imagine the V85 to be very light either. Lighter than a Stelvio, perhaps.

Five valve was a typo. It’s a five speed.

What makes you say that? It "appears" to be the new 6 speed. (?) But then, we are looking at a prototype..

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20173&p=227332

"Two cylinder, five cylinder..."

Obviously a typo or bad translation but we know it can't have 2 AND 5 cylinders. So it's either valves or speeds. Or it could all be wrong.

I keep looking at it over and over, and I like it a lot.  Granted it doesn't have the full specs of the true full on ADV, but that's OK..it will still do 90 % of the job for off roading.

Any place I wouldn't take my Norge or Scura...I'm looking at forest roads, nothing extreme like where we go with the Rover, but many of the dirt, gravel and overland trails...I'm not looking for a rock hopper or a trials type bike.

• Like 1

Any place I wouldn't take my Norge or Scura...I'm looking at forest roads, nothing extreme like where we go with the Rover, but many of the dirt, gravel and overland trails...I'm not looking for a rock hopper or a trials type bike.

See? That's what I'm thinking. Something to take down the rough, dusty backroad shortcuts that I don't want to subject my Sport to.

As pretty as the show bike is (to me), I would still likely opt for a satin Tenni green and all else matte black.

How 'bout it, Swooshdave, wanna do a visual mock-up?

See? That's what I'm thinking. Something to take down the rough, dusty backroad shortcuts that I don't want to subject my Sport to.

As pretty as the show bike is (to me), I would still likely opt for a satin Tenni green and all else matte black.

How 'bout it, Swooshdave, wanna do a visual mock-up?

Don't have enough time to take off the stripes right now. Maybe later.

I figure if we wait long enough, Guzzi will offer us the subdued version. I really liked the Stelvio NTX in satin green.

Otherwise, this is not the full-lipped and shapely model I had in mind . . .

586434-16x9-lg.jpg