New member, New 2000 V11 Sport "greenie"

vtwins4life

I forgot: ever seen a modern race bike without an air box? MGS01 without air box?

On a modern engine the primary role of the airbox is for resonant tuning, so the airbox works in concert with the engine and exhaust system as a whole. Its similar to tuned length exhaust but on the intake side. The volume of the airbox and its associated resonance has a significant benificial effect on the airflow into the engine. Its also used in conjunction with variable length untake trumpets and the shape of the lip on the intake trumpets. Its quite a scientific process these days, hence nobody removes airboxes anymore as it will lose you a lot of power. The ram effect has a negligeable benifit especially on a road bike and the ram ducts bigger contribution is in feeding cooler more laminar air into the airbox more than any small static pressure increase.

On the V11 Guzzi though the airbox is there to hold the air filter and for noise emission reasons, its design pre dates resonant intake tuning on production bikes. Still dont see the point of removing it though.    

Ciao

I'm curious for you to go a step further with the airbox analysis. What about the effect of removal of the top of the box, which has the snorkels, like when the BMC filter is installed? Looks like I only lose the cool air benefit, and laminar air flow.