New member, New 2000 V11 Sport "greenie"

vtwins4life

Thanks for the warm welcome guys ! Some more info and feedback on your comments:

1) the intake boots were replaced during the service (forgot to list that). 

2) The bike has an old looking K&N branded Power Commander hooked up - no idea how it's tuned or if it's adding value or not. The bike's only perf mod that I can tell was the removal of the stock airbox and the fitment of open element foam filters (which I replaced with K&N cones). 

3) The bike certainly runs rich and only gets 35mpg. My EV gets 45-48

4) Valves were set to Intake - .004 exhaust .006 - is that the stock setting and are those a typo (should be .04/.06) ?

5) My tach is bouncing around 1k rpm and not adding much value. I need to try running a new ground to see if that addresses it

6) The bike is a funky mix of burning smells - need to see if some gearbox oil is leaking down to the xover and burning as some of you have noted

7) The bike is not really what I'd call "nimble" (I had an Aprilia Shiver a few years ago that was like a scalpel in the twisties) and over the next year I want to look at the suspension and ride heights front/rear to see what can be done there. It does however know what straight ahead is and it does that superbly. 

Thanks again for all the help and ideas. Please keep them coming!

VT4L

Ditch the PC. Way better tuning tools with the stock ECU.

It’s a Guzzi, not an Aprilia. It will turn when it gets around to it.

Removing the air box is not a performance mod, it’s a farkle mod.

• Like 1

Thanks - remember I didn't remove the 'box...it came that way. I may try to track one down and put it back to stock at some point, but for now the K&Ns are way better at filtering than some crumbly foam. 

Will yank the PC and see how she responds....

VT4L

Re#2/#4) yeah, loosing the PC will simply things. Then perform a "Decent Tune-up". That will get your valves set to a relaxed 0.006"/0.008" and provide a solid base-line state of tune.

Re:#5)  Bouncing tach could be a Relay issue (common).

Consider installing a full set of OMRON High Current relays.

Also, make sure the battery is at (or near) a full state of charge (12.84vDC) and the terminals are clean, tight, and sealed.

I agree with dumping the Powercommander, but with the airbox gone, you might end up running dangerously lean without some other fueling mods.

On the handling, another way to speed up the handling is to run tires with a more "pointy" profile vs more "rounded". It works but it worked a little bit too well for me on one bike.

I have disagree with some of the advice here:  keep the PC unless until you are capable to program your ECU with Guzzi Diag.

The PC on my bike was set up right and works great.  I don't know how to set up a PC nor use Guzzidiag.  But if you have no airbox, for sure you'll need to run it richer and will need to keep the PC until you get up to speed on Guzzidiag.  Also, many aftermarket tuner shops with chassis dynos know how to set up the PC but certainly not GD. 

• Like 1

My opinion and AFR based experience is so that without airbox the engine runs rich. It goes that far that even removing the snorkels makes things worth, not better.

BTW, "dangerously" is definitely completely overboard in this context. I cannot speak for other colours, but Greenies usually sport a rather healthy nature.

It defies logic to me that taking the airbox off would make the bike run rich.  Perhaps the airbox is pressurized?  

Still the PC allows the rider to adjust the mixture.  I can't understand what is wrong with that.

My opinion and AFR based experience is so that without airbox the engine runs rich. It goes that far that even removing the snorkels makes things worth, not better.

BTW, "dangerously" is definitely completely overboard in this context. I cannot speak for other colours, but Greenies usually sport a rather healthy nature.

Goodness, I hate it when I'm definitely completely overboard! :o   I hope that's a forgivable offense. If not, I will leave quietly.

I also don't understand how airbox removal would make it run rich, but I have never played with an airboxless V11. Just speaking from experiences with many bikes with major airbox mods or removal, often they run so lean as to not be rideable at all.

Luhbo, I don't doubt your experience on this, just don't understand it. Is it because the filters are placed right on the throttle bodies and you lose the ram effect of the long intake tubes?

And I did say might! :rolleyes:

Goodness, I hate it when I'm definitely completely overboard! :o   I hope that's a forgivable offense. If not, I will leave quietly.

I also don't understand how airbox removal would make it run rich, but I have never played with an airboxless V11. Just speaking from experiences with many bikes with major airbox mods or removal, often they run so lean as to not be rideable at all.

Luhbo, I don't doubt your experience on this, just don't understand it. Is it because the filters are placed right on the throttle bodies and you lose the ram effect of the long intake tubes?

And I did say might! :rolleyes:

There is marginal ram air effect from the airbox.  The air path is crazy convoluted. Ever see a guzzi race bike with an airbox?  :mg:

I think that if you simply take a stock bike and throw pods on it you will have an issue.  However if you tune for the change using guzzi diag or in the case of carbs re jet... you can over come many of the "issues".  I believe most people do not do that however because they likely lack the knowledge to do so.   

Those are my thoughts anyway.  

RAM effects can give positive effects at speeds over 250 km/h. 200hp rockets like Ducs or Kawas can make additional 4 or 5hp at such speeds, 200hp they have anyway.

The advantage of a big enough airbox is that it provides calm and maybe slightly pressurised air to the engine.

The airflow behind cylinders and rider's knees, near the gap to the rotating rear wheel, under cross wind effects etc. is totally different to the above mentioned calm and maybe slightly pressurised air, consistently delivered to both cylinders.

Oh, and a nice welcome to another Green keeper around here. Be nice to it :)

• Like 1