New member, New 2000 V11 Sport "greenie"

vtwins4life

Hi All,

I am new to V11 Sport ownership, but not to Guzzis (also have a 1998 EV) or riding in general (been on 2 wheels for >30 years and 100k miles). 

After perhaps more than an appropriate amount of alcohol one night (for ebay shopping anyway), I pulled the trigger on a 2000 V11 Sport. The price was better than most I'd seen ($3500) and I figured "it's a Guzzi...shouldn't need much". I should have run away when the seller didn't have a scrap of paper showing maintenance. 

Well it got here a few days later thanks to the miracles of the modern economy (uship). And immediately off to the shop....

I don't do a ton of wrenching any more so I left the fixing to Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry NH as they have been good to me over the years. They did the following:

new tires (Dunlop)

Tune and valve adjustment

voltage regulator (kept blowing headlight fuse)

brake pads

K&N's to replace the old foam filters

It's now rideable and damn...what a fun ride it is. I LOVE the sound and it's an absolute freight train at speed in a straight line. It rivals my old FJ1200 actually which surprised me.  It has Rizoma bars and hydraulics which give it a little more upright seating position. It also has the red frame and red powder coated wheels which really work for the look imho. 

What it still needs:

clutch - slips under heavy load when passing groups of Harleys :-)

idle work - still stalls here and there

tail lights - hate the cheap units the previous owner installed

cans - the mufflers sound great but are a little tattered looking and I am looking for a deeper tone that's a little more subtle 

I'll have questions I'm sure - been reading a lot here to get myself up to speed. If any of your are in New England please drop me a line or meet me some Sunday AM at the VB in Pomfret CT for a ride. 

I am happy to upload more and better pics if someone can point me to a way to upload larger images to this site. 

VT4L

V11Sport.jpg

I blame Barry :-) Those of you in the long time Guzzi world may know him. I worked for him for years in the Marlboro and Maynard area at a large computer maker. He now has 5 Guzzis and is responsible for getting me on this path. He's relocated to the Left Coast now, but still rides every day he's able. 

VT4L

Congratulations... and welcome.  A couple suggestions for you:

1. Consider adding a supplemental ground from the voltage regulator case to engine case or frame.
  2. Based on my experience with a slipping clutch, you probably have 1,000 miles or so until it starts slipping from standing starts.
  3. If you're going to have someone do the clutch work, you should have them install the brace between the top of transmission and frame at the same time.
  4. Check all the rubber boots and vacuum caps on the throttle bodies for air leaks - those can cause problems at idle.
  • Like 1

Hi, VT4L! You've come to right place to enjoy your V11 Sport!

Looking forward to following your evolving relationship with this Guzzi.

Larger images are best posted from a hosting site. There are quite a few options there, but take a tour of ImgZeit (built by one of our members):

https://imgzeit.com/tour

On the idling and stalling issue, opening up the valve clearance helps a lot with idle and low speed running, and will make the bike just a bit more torquey as well. I'm running .011" intake and exhaust. Most people don't go that loose, but my bike idles flawlessly and the valves aren't much noisier than they were. Can't hear them with earplugs!

Also if you get the 2 cables to hook your laptop to the bikes ECU, you can use Guzzidiag to set your CO trim. If the setting is off it can make the fueling too rich or, more likely, lean and that will mess with the idle, among other things. It sounds really involved but it's really pretty easy to do. Also set the TPS voltage to 157mv.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19641

http://lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12204

Tinkering with all these little things makes a huge difference in the happiness level of your bike!

• Like 1

.011? Good God, the humanity! You're losing power with those poor rockers flapping around. Not to mention making everyone deaf.

.011? Good God, the humanity! You're losing power with those poor rockers flapping around. Not to mention making everyone deaf.

My bike is set to 0.25mm (0.010") on both in & ex, and it is awesome.  B)

• Like 1

Meinolf told me to go with .012"!  I'll gladly give up a bit of top end for more power in the real world rpm range. Not a huge difference but I'll take what I can get.

It's not half as loud as my BMW airhead was. :rolleyes:

It rivals my old FJ1200 actually which surprised me.

I had a Yamaha FJ1100 and when I first rode my V11 it brought back some memories of the "Velvet Sledgehammer." But unlike the V11, the FJ never seemed to run out of breath - at any speed. I think the Guzzi is a better handling bike though - and more fun to ride under real-world conditions.