Steering Damper - Free play - how much is normal, if any?

PJPR01

A side benefit (tongue in cheek) of having taken off the tank to do a few repairs on filter/fuel hose etc...is checking everything else on the bike and finding stuff to fix!

So far all else is good, but I notice that the steering damper (part # 01530230) has quite a bit of free play in it at the center mounting point.  

Tried tightening up the hex bolt there at the center mounting point, but to no avail, so I'm assuming that I need either a new bracket or washer/filler to tighten this up, and hopefully not needing to replace the actual steering damper, which feels smooth and with no catches from side to side.

Have others had success sourcing an equivalent mount or have you done some other fix here, as this particular part is not sold separately by Guzzi.  Feels like an important item to fix so the mounting bolt doesn't break, as in that case, for sure I'll have to buy the whole damper.

Mille grazie...

If by Rose joint, you mean the center anchoring joint vs. the end mount, then yes...that's where the movement is.  I see about a 1/16 of an inch movement, you can see the frame of the steering damper be flush and then rotate open a bit.  The "free play" is inside that circular mount where the hex bolt goes thru.  There seems to be a little spider screw there as well, but on mine at least it does not appear to be adjustable, and my hex bolt is as tight as it can get, so I'm guessing there's looseness in the washer/mechanism inside that circular mount.  

If that's normal...great, but it feels sloppy to me.

Yeah, they look to flop around, but that is normal.  Mine actually came loose at the mount (lock nut) once. I can't remember if I LocTited it . . .

Most common failure with the Bitubo damper is leaking oil. I have heard of people rebuilding them, but I replaced mine with a Japanese made Shindy.

Most common failure with the Bitubo damper is leaking oil. I have heard of people rebuilding them, but I replaced mine with a Japanese made Shindy.

Interesting...how did you figure out which is the right one for the V11?  

Looking at their site, I just see dampers for Harley and other Japanese bikes.

Interesting...how did you figure out which is the right one for the V11?  

Looking at their site, I just see dampers for Harley and other Japanese bikes.

They are listed by stroke and overall length. You need a replacement that can at least match the stroke of the stock unit, and the length of the shaft over all should be about the same.

Swoosh...yes...moves about the same amount, a tad less on mine.  What did you end up doing to fix it, if anything, or just accept it as normal as docc has said?

Thanks Guzzimoto...will take a look.  Replacement OEM runs about $320...so I'll compare price on the Shindy.

I'm guessing then that this "free play" is for fork compression to allow a bit of angle change while still allowing the damper to function linearly.

I used the Shindy on my LeMans for a while. It lives on the Greenie now. Same type of back and forth play. It should be tight side to side. Got the part number from a past post of Docc's.  

@Docc - if you feel motivated, maybe you could add that damper to our encyclopedia of compatible parts. I recall it being only about $120.00.

At that price...it's a steal, would be great as a future reference in case a replacement is needed.  Good thing is that the side to side motion is clean and with zero catches...nice and smooth.  

Looks like I'm all good then here...thanks all for the timely feedback.