Flange - Gas Tank Scura Leak not yet fixed...Parts source help?

PJPR01

Well...

2 steps forward, 1 step back...Scura still leaking fuel.

Replaced the fuel line with Scud's upgraded item, new fuel filter, new petcock (original one was full of dirt and gunk), and put it all back together, and the damn thing still leaks, so now I believe I'll have to replace the famous Flange into which the petcock screws into as that appears to be the true source of the leak.  Bloody impossible to find this part, have checked at MG, Harpers, Moto International and Gutsibits, no luck!

Found it finally at Stein Dinse (Danke sehr!)...but I'm wondering before I place the order if anyone has a US source for this part # since the shipping costs from Germany are more than the cost of the flange itself!

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Complete-partlist/Unsorted/Flansch-Tank-V11::6671.html

Part # 01101830

Thanks all!

The flange itself is not broken, but it's leaking from where the petcock screws onto the flange, so the threaded part of the flange.

I don't see it leaking at the gasket on the tank...at least not at the moment! 

:)

There is a hard opaque plastic ring in there on the end of the shaft in the flange and not easily removed by the way.  It is smaller in diameter than the black O-rings, I did tuck a new O-ring in there and it fits snugly inside the flange around the opaque plastic one and a bit deeper, but it does consume 1 thread's depth of the locking nut.  I may try it again w/o the new O-ring and see if that allows me to snug it up a bit further. 

I'm guessing that using Teflon tape here on the threads is not a great idea, anything else I could add to the threads to get a better seal?

Can't you find a used one on e-bay or a bike salvage place? 

Thanks...No luck yet there Scud...the only ones on Ebay come from the Netherlands (are new also) and have the same freight charge as buying it from Stein Dinse.

I haven't gone the salvage route just yet...will play with the gasket situation a bit further and then decide on buying it from Germany..may just have to add a few more items to the order to justify the freight charge.

I think you're right Chuck...it might just be this plastic ring...anyway, a chance to get creative before I order a new part (probably makes sense to buy two of them anyway) as I'm sure that over the years the other side will need to be replaced at some point as well.

The only silver lining I have found so far is that since this part is as difficult to find as hen's teeth, it must mean that it fails very infrequently...so once fixed or replaced should last me a long time!  Philosophy lesson for the day!

Is it off the bike and can you show the flange, o-ring and plastic ring relationship?

Hi Dave...

It's back on the bike at the moment, so I'll have to get to the project after the holidays and will take some pics when I get back if I am unable to sort it by then.

Appreciate all the suggestions...something for me to ponder while enjoying some desert/mountain vacations over the next couple of weeks. 

. . .  while enjoying some desert/mountain vacations over the next couple of weeks. 

Now I'm havin' trouble feelin' sorry for ya.  :whistle:

Ya had me goin' there, for a while . . .  :grin:

• Like 1

Sorry I meant to say...

While huddling over a bonfire in minus 30 degree weather with only a thin layer of clothing, gloves with no fingers and only one tin of Tuna and a half package of year old ramen to last me a week!!!

• Like 1