Interesting Guzzi Builds

footgoose

Man-oh-man!

I watched this vid before, but what a great watch! Something about shaping your motorcycle with *colorful* language! :luigi::o:grin:

And: it's *silver* . . . (did ya notice: *silver* . . .) ;)

Footgoose,

thanks for posting that video.

I'm always fascinated by metalwork like that, but end up with questions;

What gauge sheet metal was he forming ?

Was that aluminium ?

Was he TIG welding ?

I need to find a shop class

It was aluminum, and he's using tig. Somewhere in there he gave the gauge of it, but I don't remember. I too am fascinated by panel beating-shaping. (must be the wood worker in us) I'd love to do some moto bodywork, and do plan to 'some day'. But takes a bit more dedication than I can give at the moment. As Michelangelo so aptly states "art is a jealous thing, it requires the whole and entire man" and his level of metalwork is truly an art.

You can tell by the way he works it, it's second nature to him. I'd like to spend 3 months in his shop as an apprentice. As a bonus, I'd learn to "spake Austrialyin".

I'm reminded of something guitar virtuoso Eric Johnson said about getting "good" (paraphrasing) "it's not how many years you play, It's how many hours"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

• Like 1

"'m reminded of something guitar virtuoso Eric Johnson said about getting "good" (paraphrasing) "it's not how many years you play, It's how many hours"

I put in the hours on guitar.. even won a regional contest in Ohio.. then finally realized I am a mechanic. Don't have any talent. The same goes with panel beating. It's a learned skill, but still requires talent. :)

• Like 1

That is true of many skills we practise. Hours & hours of practise will teach you how manipulate the tool or tools but there comes that point when you face that self-imposed question of if you have 'talent'.

Many of us have had perfectly good careers being competant 'mechanics'. I have had the humbling oppertunity to meet & work around some of my woodworking Gurus when I was in college & shortly after & knowing when you can't match that standard & talent becomes liberating. Knowing you can't reach that high.

As a woodworker, metal work is fascinating. Nothing I work with responds well to being beaten with a hammer ! To compress & expand the metal to get it to curve on a wheel. Amazing ! Then to be able to polish that dinted & dented sheet till its so smooth. Gobsmacked !

In the video he visits the 'Guzzi Doctor' who from his website is based in Chicago. Does this mean this Auzzie is also from there ?

Does anyone know him, is he show at any shows?

• Like 1

Chuck, that is a thing of beauty. I miss the odd flight in 'unserviceable' aircraft since I retired as a CAA Licenced Engineer. Looking at that makes me wonder if I should actually PAY to go up sometime although I preferred being paid.

37383243150_3b8b0d17c9_b.jpg

I ran into Craig at Barber. I was hoping to get them to cut together a short film we could use in our film festival. No luck this year.

I was hoping he could come out for the One Show. No, luck on that either, he says he's too busy with Guzzi.

I guess that's what passes as an excuse these days.  :glare: