Replacement battery for V11 sport

Buttaknife

On 10/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, GuzziMoto said:

By the way, my wife's V11 had a PC545 in it. I replaced it because it was old just before we left on a trip. I didn't want it to be an issue on the trip. After a couple years of her old PC545 sitting in the garage, I needed a new battery for my lawn tractor. I grabbed the PC545 and put it in my lawn tractor. It has been there for some 7 or 8 years running my lawn tractor. It was already probably 7 or 8 years old before it got pulled from her V11. Then it sat for a couple years. It does struggle now, and should be replaced. But it keeps starting the tractor.

My CubCadet, swampee (or is that "swamp-pee? :huh:) has mySport's third PC545 from 2010. It's been in the neglected garden tractor (a 750cc Kohler twin) since 2014. Without the grunt to turn the starter, I use this NOCO booster to fire it up and just carry on . . .

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=asc_df_B015TKUPIC?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80882941400106&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482468493509&psc=1

71aF7GY0cEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, docc said:

My CubCadet, swampee (or is that "swamp-pee? :huh:) has mySport's third PC545 from 2010. It's been in the neglected garden tractor (a 750cc Kohler twin) since 2014. Without the grunt to turn the starter, I use this NOCO booster to fire it up and just carry on . . .

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=asc_df_B015TKUPIC?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80882941400106&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482468493509&psc=1

71aF7GY0cEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My old PC545 still starts the tractor without help. It does occasionally struggle, especially if it is cold, and the tractor has a low battery light that does come on. Then it goes out once the battery gets charged back up. But it still starts it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just had a no crank situation with the Le Mans last Sunday. This happened after riding to College Station from La Grange.

I just had made a stop at Kyke Field for the Texas Tour, and I refueled shortly after. When attempting to restart the engine, the dashboard lights intensity went down, but the starter did not turn.

I attempted a push start in fourth, did not start the bike, but managed to revive the starter. I was lucky.

Back home, I checked the battery under load, and only got 9.6 Volts. Charged the battery, and get to 10.8 Volts under load.

Seemed obvious something was wrong with the battery. An Odyssey PC545;

I have now gone through all the posts I found related to batteries for the V11. I also went to Cyclegear to check what battery they had in stock;

First and foremost, I found out that the Odyssey PC545 I was using was not best rated for the hot temperatures we have in Texas; https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/ods-agm15l-battery-pc545/

The better choice, would be the PC545MJ with a better operating range span, up to 176 degF (80 degC); the conventional PC545 top operating range is 113 degF (45 degC); https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/ods-agm15lmj-battery-pc545mj/

There is a significant price difference between the two: US$ 148, versus US$ 172.

I also found out that for most of the sites offering a battery selector, the V11 is missing.

Last I looked at Lithium batteries; several have warnings about the charge from your motorcycle, that should be between a specific bracket. For example, the Duraboost reads that voltage coming from the bike should be between 14.0 and 14.9 volts. After riding through all the posts, I learned the V11 charging current is all but stable and predictable.

What I could do, is a battery cross-reference table, with all the brands and models, that are useable on our V11s.

For example @MartyNZ was/is happily using a Shorai LFX21L6-BS12; I looked it up on the Shorai site, and it is in back order.

Back in the 70's, most of the bikes from Japan came equipped with Yuasa batteries;

If you look up Yuasa' site, you will find the proposed battery for the V11 is the YTX15L, and is no longer manufactured.

I am going to go with the Odyssey PC545MJ.

My PC545 dims: L: 173mm; W: 83mm; H 129mm

20240225 La Grange:College:Nava map 25-Feb-24

"MJ" is for metal jacket. If I recall correctly, same PC545, but with a metal jacket.

I also recall the EnerSys Hawker Odyssey nomenclature changed. The V11 OEM battery has a new designation (but still manufactured) . . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, docc said:

See if searching the new nomenclature gives better results/availability:

I just went by the spec sheet of the PC545L and PC545MJ;

one has a lower temperature rating than the other. 113 degF versus 176 degF. This is why I went MJ; last year, during some of my rides temperatures were up in the 120 degF.

The battery performance is exactly the same for both, only the casing changes.

I ordered the MJ.

• Like 2

Be aware of Odyssey's specific charging amperage (and voltage).  Common low amp trickle chargers/"Battery Tenders" can be damaging. (Odyssey is unequivocal about this.)

I have seen PC545 brought back from the deep discharge state with proper "conditioning" . . .

1 minute ago, docc said:

Be aware of Odyssey's specific charging amperage (and voltage).  Common low amp trickle chargers/"Battery Tenders" can be damaging. (Odyssey is unequivocal about this.)

I have seen PC545 brought back from the deep discharge state with proper "conditioning" . . .

I attempted resuscitation technique on my PC545;

In my line of work, we used batteries to power instruments to be run in wells. While Lithium came to the knowledge of the public rather recently, my company was directly sponsoring SAFT into finding better batteries for our applications. Lithium appeared in the early 80's, and we quickly learned the danger and limitation of it.

One of the known issue of Lithium batteries is named "passivation". It happens during storage before use. Prior to use the battery, you need to depassivate it, which is basically applying a load for a given period of time followed by a rest. Repeat until full capacity is restored.

I did manage to improve my PC545 a little, but I have not been able to get back to what it used to be.

This is why I have decided not to take the risk, and I will install a new battery.

When I got the no crank situation, it brought back some bad memories. Not again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, docc said:

What is the date code of your outgoing PC545?

0770-2019;

The installation date was never marked. I purchased the bike in December 2020; I got it in April 2021.

What are the last four digits in the serial number (month/year)?

Your "0520" looks to translate May of 2020. In which case the battery is not even four years old. 

In that case I would be investigating the charging system, grounds, and external charging protocol . . .

• Like 1

@docc

It was not the battery!

I received the new Odyssey battery; they have retired the model name PC545 (MJ).

The additional thermal protection is achieved by having the battery encased in that metal jacket.

I conducted some comparative tests on both batteries, and they were similar.

I installed the new battery, and the starting was not straight at the push of the button. Not sure how to describe it. May have been something to do with the Solenoid.

But I have not been able to reproduce it. I have made multiple starts, and it cranks properly each time.

Odyssey battery installed 29-Feb-24

• Like 1

Seems you enjoy mileage, so just install a good regulator that connects direct to the battery. Your electric system on your bike will thank you.  I have installed 4 Shindengen 847 from Roadstercycle, GLAD I did.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Seems you enjoy mileage, so just install a good regulator that connects direct to the battery. Your electric system on your bike will thank you.  I have installed 4 Shindengen 847 from Roadstercycle, GLAD I did.

Cheers Tom.

Found it; http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen Mosfet Regulator about.htm

This is a drop-in replacement of the stock one?

No, but fairly simple to do. I put it under the battery tray, check clearance. Idling 14.73 on my greenie, and not even a red one. :bier:. I did install extra terminals + and - , only 1 cable on the battery. Some pictures on the forum somewhere. Others here have installed it to, all seems happy.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1