Replacement battery for V11 sport

Buttaknife

My red frame had the ORIGINAL battery when it was parked in 2007 . I got the bike running last year and the battery just would not cut the mustard . A new PC545 went in and took care of business .

• Like 2

The unfortunate thing about this subject is ; there are the riders that are using the Odyssey battery and there are those those that rationalize why not .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

The unfortunate thing about this subject is ; there are the riders that are using the Odyssey battery and there are those those that rationalize why not .

I spite of my encouragement to go to the trouble to condition the Odyssey to get the most out of it, and take the load off of our nefarious charging system, an 80% PC545 has still been a vastly better performer for me than any other "power sports" battery I've ever seen or owned.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, docc said:

I spite of my encouragement to go to the trouble to condition the Odyssey to get the most out of it, and take the load off of our nefarious charging system, an 80% PC545 has still been a vastly better performer for me than any other "power sports" battery I've ever seen or owned.

A quote from the movie Stripes popped in my head - we are willing to learn! LOL! This has been my 1st time using an Odyssey and it has remained in a consistent state even when not on a tender or should I say a specific tender for the Odyssey because I haven't gotten around to ordering one yet...    

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hi. very late response from Germany: what is the max size of the V11 Sport battery, 2) what model is the motobatt that is compatible with the v11 3) what alternatives are available to the Yuasa and Odyssey? thanks. Jonathan

6 hours ago, BallabioJoj said:

what alternatives are available

Wendel has this:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/batterie-12v-13a_gu01704501-p-1025230.html?ref=expl

Stein Dinse has that one as well, and this:

https://www.stein-dinse.com/de/batterie-12v-13ah-genesis-reinblei-zinn/item-2-1112694-300202001-.html

That is only the result of a search there (I have been looking for my own interest recently...). I haven't tried either of them (yet).

• 5 months later...

I'm one of the very few who've had a bad experience with a PC545, which apparently lost a cell and wouldn't charge over 10.8V after just over two years.  It can happen. 
I replaced it with a Sigma STX15L-BS ($40ish at the time) which lasted just over 10 years without issue.  This means leaving it in the bike in an uninsulated shed during CT winters and finding it not needing a charge in spring. 
It's finally got the end of its tether.  Now that it's knocking on November, and they are out of stock everywhere, I might wait til spring to get another.
I've thought about LifePO4 but, at the price ($47 when they come back in stock), I can trade the extra weight for the savings.

2 hours ago, Bob Hartman said:

I'm one of the very few who've had a bad experience with a PC545, which apparently lost a cell and wouldn't charge over 10.8V after just over two years.  It can happen. 
I replaced it with a Sigma STX15L-BS ($40ish at the time) which lasted just over 10 years without issue.  This means leaving it in the bike in an uninsulated shed during CT winters and finding it not needing a charge in spring. 
It's finally got the end of its tether.  Now that it's knocking on November, and they are out of stock everywhere, I might wait til spring to get another.
I've thought about LifePO4 but, at the price ($47 when they come back in stock), I can trade the extra weight for the savings.

I like Lithium batteries, but it is kinda silly to think the weight reduction is going to be an advantage, or even noticeable, in a V11. That said, Lithium batteries are good by now and hold their charge better then lead acid batteries.

You did get great results with your last lead acid battery, I hope you have equal luck with your next. But I would not bet a donut on it.

By the way, my wife's V11 had a PC545 in it. I replaced it because it was old just before we left on a trip. I didn't want it to be an issue on the trip. After a couple years of her old PC545 sitting in the garage, I needed a new battery for my lawn tractor. I grabbed the PC545 and put it in my lawn tractor. It has been there for some 7 or 8 years running my lawn tractor. It was already probably 7 or 8 years old before it got pulled from her V11. Then it sat for a couple years. It does struggle now, and should be replaced. But it keeps starting the tractor.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

...it is kinda silly to think the weight reduction is going to be an advantage, or even noticeable, in a V11....

You're right, of course, and the diffenerence in acceleration is certainly so small as to be irrelevant.

But still, a couple of kilos less high up on the bike can't be bad for the handling. :huh2:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, audiomick said:

You're right, of course, and the diffenerence in acceleration is certainly so small as to be irrelevant.

But still, a couple of kilos less high up on the bike can't be bad for the handling. :huh2:

It's a cumulative thing at the end of the day. On my bike the wheels and axles have saved 9 kg's and the clipons a bit as well as the mufflers and cross over and various Titanium bolts (In fact just about 90% the bolts on the bike) A 4-5 kg weight saving on the battery would be quite a nice reduction in one hit added to the other stuff when it comes time to buy a new battery. A good saving in dollars/KG esp if you need a battery anyway. Free weight reduction. I still use the std battery but next time I'll go to the Lithium I think. I must weigh my bike and see what the total is.

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

...A good saving in dollars/KG ...

I read once in a push-bike magazine "the cheapest place to save weight on th bike is on the rider". B)

Still, I expect to be putting a lithium battery in at least one of my bikes in the foreseeable future. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

I read once in a push-bike magazine "the cheapest place to save weight on th bike is on the rider". B)

Still, I expect to be putting a lithium battery in at least one of my bikes in the foreseeable future. :)

Yea. Guess what look you get when you tell a club racer that before he starts drilling shift levers and foot peg brackets to save weight he may want to consider shedding the extra 20kg he's carrying.

Phil

• Haha 3