Classic Tank Badge

al_roethlisberger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh heh.... well that would be true if I lived in Southern CA :P

It gets into the 40s at night at times here on the coastal mountains, even in the Summer. And it's regularly getting into the 50s at night now. In just a few weeks it's going to start to regularly get even chillier at night.... and at 60+mph.... brrr :rolleyes:

And of course, although this last 18 months has been a "bust" for any long trips, but when I used to take them.... my favorite areas have to be the Western basin, and high deserts... which get cooooooooold at night. So I'm just preparing ;)

And of course, the Battery Tender hookup is just super convenient :thumbsup:

I highly recommend the Powerlet products.

:grin:

Guest MotoMessiah

Looks good to me!

Say I noticed your post on wildguzzi regarding the broken trans spring. You mentioned your bike has 4K on the clock and it's a 2002. Do you ever ride it, or did the spring break when you rolled it out of the garage to wash it? :D

Thanks :rolleyes: .... yeah, actually it did break in the driveway :P ... as I was riding it to work. I actually have ridden the bike to work relatively frequently, but it's such a short trip that it doesn't add up to much.

I rode it a good bit when I first got it ~15 months ago, then it went immediately in the shop a couple times for things like the timing cover gasket blowout and the trans real seal going south. But this last year(esp Summer) has been something of a "bust" for motocycle riding in our household what with the new baby in June and some other family issues like kid's soccer, and a myriad of never ending home improvement projects that always seem to take precedence :huh2:

The bike also sat in the shop for something like 3 months earlier in the year, then had a handful of other running issues on-and-off that nit-picked time, and yeah, I had it all buttoned up and running well again(so I thought)... and the spring breaks going out of the driveway :blink:

Some of it is my own doing what with tinkering, but to the greater extent I've yet to have much confidence in the bike taking me much further than my neighborhood without worrying about some "issue".

Currently it's now got some weird "shudder" at low RPM in the clutch that it never exhibited before... just something else to "track down" I guess :unsure:

And it's going in the shop again soon for an indeterminate amount of time for the case replacement.... more down time.

Still love the bike, but whether it's blown gaskets, relays vibrating loose, ECUs dying, or shift linkages falling off on the freeway.... just about 1 out of 3 rides yields a new "surprise" that doesn't build confidence that inspires more long distance, or frequent, rides :huh2:

I think this is just indicative of some of the '02 QA issues. Earlier and later bikes seem better sorted.

al

...whether it's blown gaskets, relays vibrating loose, ECUs dying, or shift linkages falling off on the freeway.... just about 1 out of 3 rides yields a new "surprise" that doesn't build confidence that inspires more long distance, or frequent, rides...

Al,

You worry too much....

You got breakdown cover? Mobile phone? ...you live in sunny California! ...start off - small circuits around the house (wait til the kids are out) , each time a bit further but always centred on home - pretty soon you'll be ranging far & wide :D:bike:

KB :sun:

Al, your bike hasn't run in yet. Once this is over, no problems.

But taking the whole thing out in pieces, can in the end deliver a nice "blueprinted" engine, or a lot worse, depending on the shop.

and a myriad of never ending home improvement projects that always seem to take precedence

You have to have your priorities right

But in the 10 years I have the daytona, there have been low milage years. But kids grow, and then you'll have more time again.

Currently it's now got some weird "shudder" at low RPM in the clutch that it never exhibited before... just something else to "track down" I guess  :unsure:

You'll be able to check this when the engine is pulled. A shudder in the clutch is often indicative of oil on the plates or a plate that has separated. Ask me how I know.....

Really, it does sound like you are getting your bike all sorted out. As you get more time, you'll be able to ride more. Now that school has started again, my riding time has dropped considerably. :(

Cheers,

Jason

Al, really cool. How did you remove the eagle? and where did you get those bad cylinder head protectors? :!: and how about those nice red valve covers? :P: where can I find those :food:

Hey Al, we should go for a ride up to Cedarville in the next 2 weeks! Perfect time of year as long as the passes are open.

Al, really cool.  How did you remove the eagle? and where did you get those bad cylinder head protectors? :!:  and how about those nice red valve covers?  :P:  where can I find those :food:

Hey Al, we should go for a ride up to Cedarville in the next 2 weeks!  Perfect time of year as long as the passes are open.

33988[/snapback]

Well, I didn't "remove the eagle" so much as I replaced the tank ;)

My original tank split, and was being replaced under warantee. But before I received the waranteed tank, I had found a wrecked 2003 LeMans and bought the tank and it's guts to get the advantage of the new internal fuel plumbing.

So I just had the black 2003 tank painted "champagne" and glued on the MG badges.

So I didn't remove the eagles, I just didn't put them on the 2003 tank :D

...then I sold my 2002 tank to cover the costs.

The head gaurds are from Harpers Moto Guzzi.

I had the valve covers, sideplates, and a couple other bits custom powder coated. So, apologies, you can't just go out and buy them :P

...and yes, although in the Sport Bike communities I've already heard people complaining that "riding season is coming to a close"... I just have to roll my eyes. This cooler weather is perfect :D

al

the eagle and name look good on the tank. On another subject, I have 2002 Scura with the red plate on the side and would like matching valve covers (red anodized aluminum?) Yours look good but might be a different shade. Can you direct me on how to acquire some matching covers? thx

sorry, didnt see the other responses, now I know the answer. thx anyway.

the eagle and name look good on the tank.  On another subject, I have 2002 Scura with the red plate on the side and would like matching valve covers (red anodized aluminum?)  Yours look good but might be a different shade.  Can you direct me on how to acquire some matching covers?  thx

sorry, didnt see the other responses, now I know the answer.  thx anyway.

34027[/snapback]

Yeah, a few points....

First, the valve covers in the photos of this thread, were my "phase I" attempt at powercoating the covers red. They turned out quite nice, but were definitely more orange, and had some nifty metal-flake in them. But they didn't really match the bike so I tried again.

In the end though, I never found a finish that exactly matched the original red sideplates, so I had them both coated the color I liked, which BTW was pretty close to the original red of the sideplates before they started fading.

The red valve covers that I have on the bike now are a deep candy red, along with the side-plates, and some other bits. It's a very "rich" color.

Now, WRT to matching the Scura(and other "anodized" appearing red sideplates)... you have two options:

1) You can order a set of red valve covers from the Rosso Mandello, Rosso Corsa, or Nero Corsa. These will match, although not quite perfectly if I recall. Anyway, the last time I checked, these were about $300 for the pair. They may be more now that MG increased their parts prices across the board by about 13%(from what I heard) earlier this Summer prior to the buyout. Keep in mind that although they appear to be anodized, neither the sideplates nor the valve covers are. They are painted, and as such chip pretty easily. They seem to have a true "candy" paint scheme, with an initial coat of silver/gray, then the red "candy" overcoat. It chips quite easily as MG put the paint on thickly to get the anodized "effect". Plus, as mentioned, the original finish on the valve covers tends to fade to an orange over time, if that bothers you :huh2:

2) You can have you existing valve covers and/or sideplates painted or powdercoated to match. Again, this is what I did, and in the end it costs about the same as option #1(if you remove/reinstall everything yourself), but you are guaranteed a match, and if you choose powder coating, it is much more durable than the original finish.

Hope that helps.

al

Guest vkerrigan

Al.............I'm way late on this but your bike is truly a rolling work of art. Very Distinctive!........Molta Bene!..........................vk