Greenie refurb

Gmc28

59 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Freed up another small chunk of time for Greenie today… so wondered out and popped the Stucchi fly screen on.

”Popped” is a stretch of a term, because what I figured would be an easy afternoon in the shop with a game on in the background and messing with the fly screen and then other stuff, turned into a few hours  of me getting some good curse-word practice.  Not hard, just a bigger production than I had figured. 

Fuel tank + body bits next.

valves are done, so decent tune-up with the laptop magic will follow after that. 

The pic with the speedo shows the poor cosmetic condition of triple tree area, which I need to work on, somehow. 

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

Pull it off and spray can silver it, preferably 2 pack spray can silver. This is why I don't use key fobs or crap dangling off the ignition key as well as it's not great having a bunch of comparatively weighty stuff flapping around under the influence of forces tugging on the switch assembly.

Phil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Pull it off and spray can silver it, preferably 2 pack spray can silver. This is why I don't use key fobs or crap dangling off the ignition key as well as it's not great having a bunch of comparatively weighty stuff flapping around under the influence of forces tugging on the switch assembly.

Phil

Hi Phil-

that’s what I was thinking.  I got the bike that way, and   I think that’s what I’ll do (paint), though the chrome finish will be another thing. 

35 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Hi Phil-

that’s what I was thinking.  I got the bike that way, and   I think that’s what I’ll do (paint), though the chrome finish will be another thing. 

The original triple is painted silver. I went with a stainless steel yoke nut and a black rubber grommet. I'm not a fan of chrome personally on the V11 Sport.

Phil

That’s a great idea 

Perfect.  

You went black… I like that.  But I also see I didn’t think to paint the backside of the fly-screen fairing.  Didn’t occur to me till I saw yours.  

And which mirrors do you have?  I think you’ve noted which they are in other posts.  I forgot how beautiful your greenie is.  Will stare more at some of your photos for ideas.

Where’d you source that top stainless yoke nut?  I’ve got some likely sources here local that I can check.

4 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Perfect.  

You went black… I like that.  But I also see I didn’t think to paint the backside of the fly-screen fairing.  Didn’t occur to me till I saw yours.  

And which mirrors do you have?  I think you’ve noted which they are in other posts.  I forgot how beautiful your greenie is.  Will stare more at some of your photos for ideas.

Where’d you source that top stainless yoke nut?  I’ve got some likely sources here local that I can check.

Rizoma mirrors. I have a set of knock off the same in matt black on my Enfield but they are disappointing in that the ball adjusters are so tight they are unuseable. If you knock them out of adjustment you need to loosen the mounts to re align. Just buy Rizomas, expensive but quality.  The top nut came from Stein Dinse.

Phil 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

... to paint the backside of the fly-screen fairing. ...

I find it surprising how much difference that makes. I had the fairing from my V35 Imola re-painted, and didn't think to specify that it should be black inside. In fact, they could have just not painted the inside, as the (then original) fairing was made of black ABS. They didn't, so the inside became red as well. Annoyed me quite a lot.

Fortunately ( I cursed a lot at the time, but now I have realised the advantage... B)) the bike fell off the side-stand again, and that fairing got broken beyond repair. The one on it now is a bit shabby, but it is black on the inside. Much better. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 11:17 AM, Gmc28 said:

Freed up another small chunk of time for Greenie today… so wandered out and popped the Stucchi fly screen on.

”Popped” is a stretch of a term, because what I figured would be an easy afternoon in the shop with a game on in the background and messing with the fly screen and then other stuff, turned into a few hours  of me getting some good curse-word practice.  Not hard, just a bigger production than I had figured. 

Fuel tank + body bits next.

valves are done, so decent tune-up with the laptop magic will follow after that. 

The pic with the speedo shows the poor cosmetic condition of triple tree area, which I need to work on, somehow. 

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

Hi Gmc28

I have a V11 LM that seems to drink petrol - to the tune of getting ~ 100 miles on a 5 gallon tank.

That strikes me as pretty crap fuel economy.

It has Agostini pipes on it; I have no idea if it has been chipped or any other voodoo worked on it.

When you say a tune is required with the laptop magic, is this something that could potentially rectify the situation? 

I've had somebody tell me that it should be taken to a dyno, etc, but that's $$$ I don't have.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mate

My V11 Sport has open Mistral cans Stucchi crossover & open air box lid..

The ECU has been re-mapped to suit and I get 250 kays before the low fuel light comes on ( if I behave ) so I think somethings wrong there!

Cheers 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, innesa said:

Hi Gmc28

I have a V11 LM that seems to drink petrol - to the tune of getting ~ 100 miles on a 5 gallon tank.

It has Agostini pipes on it; I have no idea if it has been chipped or any other voodoo worked on it.

When you say a tune is required with the laptop magic, is this something that could potentially rectify the situation? 

I've had somebody tell me that it should be taken to a dyno, etc, but that's $$$ I don't have.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, guzzler said:

Mate

My V11 Sport has open Mistral cans Stucchi crossover & open air box lid..

The ECU has been re-mapped to suit and I get 250 kays before the low fuel light comes on ( if I behave ) so I think somethings wrong there!

Cheers 

Thanks guzzler

Yeah, I'm getting 150-175 when the orange worry light appears. I had it recommended to me that I should carry around a tin of petrol, & just drain it (the tank) on a ride to see just how far it gets me. Of course, I'm quoting city riding, but I find that I don't get much better on the open road.

Do you have a particular mechanic you go to?

Are you a member of the MGCoV?

Cheers

Mate, Drouin is not that far out of Melbourne (or are you in the Western Suburbs?). Why don't you go and visit Guzzler to swap experiences?

I would, but the ride from Germany would take a couple of days... :whistle:

Incidentally, regarding your question

1 hour ago, innesa said:

Do you have a particular mechanic you go to?

Did you follow up on this?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, innesa said:

Hi Gmc28

Thanks in anticipation.

Looks like audiomick and others have thoughts on where u might go.  I enjoyed visiting Melbourne, wouldn’t mind going back especially this time of year, but as an Oregonian I don’t know any guzzi techs over there :->    I could however recommend some good wine tasting places in McLaren Vale and Barossa Valley, which is only 8hrs away 😉

The “decent tuneup” from docc is key, even for those who have and use tech shops near them, where they may have techs do some things their own way that may not be ideal.  I can say with confidence that it ain’t the shop, it’s the individual doing the work that matters.  (Not that you can’t have the right person overseeing someone else’s work, but you get the idea).  

The “laptop magic” I’m referring to would be part of the tune up, and could address things that are part of your fuel burn issue, but  unlikely to be any kind of silver bullet.  In broader terms however, the “computer magic” pertaining more to your ecu map and exhaust configuration may be a hot lead. Don’t need a dyno for that, but do need to know if your bike is chipped or re-mapped (and the laptop can show the map)

• Like 1

The first things to check . Look at your cylinder head temp sensor connector and air temp sensor connector . If they are not connected or the sensors are bad the PCM will think these temperatures are COLD and your bike will get this low mileage result . 

Are you capable of testing with an electrical meter ? You can test these sensors to see if they are open (bad) or not. 

• Like 5