2006 Moto Guzzi California Stone - Barn find - $50 - Go / No Go

I found this video interesting in many aspects.

Is this a project bike for someone? can't you redo the chrome on the tubes? I understand they need to turn a profit, but I think there is some potential.

The Stone was a nice model.  Depending on the initial investment, and one's goals, it certainly could be reasonable to rehabilitate.

For example, if one isn't looking to turn a big profit, but instead just have a nice running bike that could be ridden and then sold to recoup expenses, I think it could be done as long as the major components are good.

I'm sure it could be saved. If I understood them correctly, there are less than 7.000 miles on the clock. Sure, a lot of work. But possible.

And yes, I believe getting fork legs re-chromed is not at all difficult. :huh2:

One thing I know for sure: I wouldn't have pulled it out of the shed and tried to start it without even having had a close look at it. For instance, if there is any oil in the motor....

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

One thing I know for sure: I wouldn't have pulled it out of the shed and tried to start it without even having had a close look at it. For instance, if there is any oil in the motor....

I was also miffed about that. I felt bad when they discovered mice nests in the intakes. It felt a bit careless of them attempting to start it. They may have checked the oil before though, but did not show it on camera.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

They may have checked the oil before though, but did not show it on camera.

I'm convinced they didn't.

And as far as the mice go, the bloke with the glasses "took a bet" that there were mice in the airbox before the even wheeled it away from the shed they took it out of. And then he didn't have a look to see if that was true before the tried to start it.

I think the boys aren't really all that bright. :huh2:

Edit: It looks like it had a happy ending for the bike:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=adbcbd72268411ad01138e8e29437c64&topic=116045.msg1829928#msg1829928

In my opinion, Californias of that generation are pig ugly, but one doesn't like to see a Guzzi die a sad death. :)

It's tragic that a bike with less than 7,000 miles on the clock was just left to rot in a shed.:huh:

• Like 1

A longtime friend who has restored many motorcycles of all makes showed me to clean rusted chrome with 00 steel wool. That seemed awfully coarse to me, but works a charms and is softer than chrome, so no scratches . . .

46 minutes ago, docc said:

A longtime friend who has restored many motorcycles of all makes showed me to clean rusted chrome with 00 steel wool. That seemed awfully coarse to me, but works a charms and is softer than chrome, so no scratches . . .

You know what else miraculously removes minor rust from chrome?  ... aluminum foil  :sun:

I just discovered this a few months ago while researching restoring chrome on an old Schwinn bicycle.  It really is amazing.  You just wad up some aluminum foil, and rub. 

Check it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, audiomick said:

In my opinion, Californias of that generation are pig ugly, but one doesn't like to see a Guzzi die a sad death. :)

I thought it had/has a certain charm, just because of its lack of appeal. It reminds me of one of my early colleague with whom we rode to Grand-Prix. He had an MZ, possibly one of the least aesthetically pleasing motorcycle of these times, and an engine sound that went very well with it...

He would never bother putting an anti-theft while parked, since as he said, absolutely nobody in their right mind would want an MZ. 

His did not look as "good" as this one, but sounded very similar. It was the cheapest bike you could purchase at that cube size.

However difficult to look at, we grew accustomed to have it around, and it never ever left him down. Now, I have to say that not many feminine candidates were compelled to ask for a pillion ride.

I suppose you cannot have it all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wasn't a big fan of that generation of California series' aesthetic either, particularly the tank, however I did like the Stone a bit more because of its simplicity.

I think the California of that era was somewhat polarizing.  Some loved it, some did not...

Todd as GuzziTech loved his Stone... or was it a Jackal?  I forget...  and turned it into quite the hot-rod as I recall.

5 hours ago, audiomick said:

I've seen photos of that series of MZ before. "Unique" is a nice way to describe it.... :whistle::grin:

Kinda has a cool neo-retro eastern bloc, crappy vodka and itchy clothing "let's cram into a Trabant and risk our lives by smoking" vibe to it....🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1