Is there a condensed thread about Startus Interruptus...?

radguzzi

1 hour ago, radguzzi said:

Two things...

1/ - Is the PC 545 the correct Odyssey or the V11...?  I use a much larger Odyssey on the EVs and the V1000 Convert. 

2/ - Which contact on the starter solenoid...?  The lug with the nut or the blade with a connector...?  If it is the blade, should the connector be taken off..?

Thanks,

rad__

1) Yes, the PC545 is the OEM battery for the V11 series.

2) The blade connection is the solenoid. Simply slide the connector off and attach a shielded clip, then touch the other end to the battery positive. The starter should spin normally. (Did I mention to make absolute certain the bike is in neutral?) :huh:

I your video, it sounds to me like the starter solenoid engages, but the starter does not turn. A weak battery will certainly act like this. And also may start the bike once, but not the next time.

Combined with a weak starter, this condition becomes doubly frustrating. The method of tapping the starter is concerning as this could dislodge the already dodgy magnets.

So, jumper test: next . . .

34 minutes ago, docc said:

So, jumper test: next . . .

Yup, done.  The starter spins as it should.  So, "Things" it is...  We are in the middle of a painting project so I'll get back to the LeMans later today and check on the main ground. 

Gaining...

Thanks

7 minutes ago, radguzzi said:

Yup, done.  The starter spins as it should.  So, "Things" it is...  We are in the middle of a painting project so I'll get back to the LeMans later today and check on the main ground. 

Gaining...

Thanks

Okay, progress with the troubleshooting!

That main ground is just a little fiddly, but worth the effort to remove, scrape/roughen the surfaces, seal with Vaseline® or Caig DeOxit®.

Probably going to be considering the Ignition Switch next . . .

DSCN1270.JPG

• Thanks 1

10-4

I should be able to get at the ground later today... fiddly as in hard to get at...? Or get back on...?  

I did have the presence of mind to back the V11 up onto the lift so that I could get to the ignition switch if need be.  Premonition...?  

More later,

Thanks much

6 hours ago, docc said:

That main ground is just a little fiddly, but worth the effort to remove, scrape/roughen the surfaces, seal with Vaseline® or Caig DeOxit®.

Probably going to be considering the Ignition Switch next . . .

DSCN1270.JPG

Well. the main ground was not a tight as I would have expected AND the mating surface on the trans had Paint on it, black paint.  I was so hopeful that the issue had been found. 

No. Back to being Mr. Intermittent.  At first attempt the familiar click happened, second try she started right up.  THird time, click...

So :

1 / What am I bound to find or actually look for and test for in the ignition switch...?

2 / Is this an obvious candidate or the Startus Interruptus Fix Kit from MPH...? 

Edit:
I guess to put a finer point on that second question..  Is there testing I can do to prove that any particular component(s) are faulty...?

Thanks,

rad__

For certain the battery is holding up to the repeated start attempts?

Regarding the ignition switch, look at that blurry image I posted above. It shows the two cross-head screws that hold the switch in place from below. Removing them will separate the switch from the lock mechanism.

The switch can be opened by prying the catch tabs over the white nibs and the contacts exposed to be cleaned and treated, as well as inspecting the wiring for strain damage.

Stand by, I'll fetch up a thread with images . . .

• Thanks 2

@docc

That was a read...!  Wow...! 

Ok, I'll pop that ignition switch out and have a peek.  It makes sense that wire strain "Could" be the issue although only one time did the starter button go from clicking to starting the engine by turning the front end left to right...

• Like 1

[ Just a pointer on those "shared" links to click on the top-most arrow on the right to go directly to the specific linked post. Clicking on the topic title in the center of the window opens the thread at post # 1. ]

For example, click on the upper right arrow, below, to go directly to one of @Kiwi_Roy's brilliant posts complete with his Startus Interuptus Booster Relay diagram:

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, docc said:

Revisiting that thread reminded me that both @stewgnu and @Tinus89 had similar intermittent start issues that were revealed by inspecting the starter magnets . . .

10-4,

I may have mentioned that my 2000 Quota had the magnets come unglued but that just stopped, quite abruptly.  Boom, done.

Ok, going in.. or off actually.  I do not recall whether I replaced the starter or had the local generator/starter/alternator repair guy repair it. 

BTW, yes, the battery is staying up during all this. 

Appreciate the assist, docc,

Rob 

• Like 1

I pulled the starter off, I cannot recall what I did when the magnets came unglued on the Quota, years ago.  I think Gene the starter guy did the repair... 

Is disassembly a big ta-do...?   Does the starter come apart by removing those three screws on the Bendix end...?  Any cautions in pulling it apart...?

I pulled the other end cap and there are brushes and all kinds of little bits in there...!  

5hsDkZ.jpg

8vJJTN.jpg

18 hours ago, radguzzi said:

Well. the main ground was not a tight as I would have expected AND the mating surface on the trans had Paint on it, black paint.  I was so hopeful that the issue had been found. 

No. Back to being Mr. Intermittent.  At first attempt the familiar click happened, second try she started right up.  THird time, click...

So :

1 / What am I bound to find or actually look for and test for in the ignition switch...?

2 / Is this an obvious candidate or the Startus Interruptus Fix Kit from MPH...? 

Edit:
I guess to put a finer point on that second question..  Is there testing I can do to prove that any particular component(s) are faulty...?

Thanks,

rad__

A simple test is to connect a 12v test lamp in series between the solenoid power wire and ground. If it lights every time, look to the starter/solenoid. If it doesn't, look to relay/connectors/wire rubs. 
When you say 'click' do you mean the underseat relay, or do you mean the starter solenoid? If the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn that's a certainty of trouble in the starter itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, radguzzi said:

I pulled the starter off, I cannot recall what I did when the magnets came unglued on the Quota, years ago.  I think Gene the starter guy did the repair... 

Is disassembly a big ta-do...?   Does the starter come apart by removing those three screws on the Bendix end...?  Any cautions in pulling it apart...?

I pulled the other end cap and there are brushes and all kinds of little bits in there...!  

5hsDkZ.jpg

8vJJTN.jpg

Good question . . .

Someone here knows what to take off to visually inspect the magnets . . .

• Like 1

I dropped the starter off with Gene, the starter repair guy.  It bench tested great of course, no load from a flywheel to stop it.  

He did go on to say it still May be a magnet or two has come undone... I should have it back in a day or so.

Back soon,

rad___

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1