On 4/2/2024 at 1:29 PM, LaGrasta said:

MotoGP, now American owned, but no US pilots, hmmm…

Joe Roberts said that if Trackhouse was in need of someone, he is ready to serve, while admitting that he has not gotten the necessary pedigree to pretend to a place in MotoGP.

• Like 1
On 4/2/2024 at 11:28 AM, LowRyter said:

iberty Media has confirmed Pirelli, the Italian brand responsible for the control tire in Formula One and in WorldSBK, will become the sole tire supplier for MotoGP, replacing French company Michelin who will be demoted to supplying the tires for the Dorna personnel golf carts seen in the MotoGP paddock.

Kidding aside, the Dunlop replacement by Pirelli in Moto 2 and 3 has not gone smoothly.

The 2025 GP25 Ducati attribution plot thickens....

While Pramac was the single recipient of the identical millesime bikes same as in the factory team, it seems that for 2025, they may only get a single year current bike, while the second GP25 could go to another team.

What do we know?

Fermin Aldeguer will be on a GP25 in 2025, this is a clause included in his contract.

Jorge Martin will be riding at a factory team in 2025, thus no longer with the Pramac Team; he confirmed that much in interviews.

So, which team would get the second GP25 in 2025? VR46 or Gresini?

What do we know?

VR46 is currently negotiating with Ducati to exercise their contract's option to continue with Ducati.

Gresini will continue using Ducati machinery in 2025.

In Moto2 Joe Roberts is sitting second in points two races in. That would be partly due to the lack of consistency by most everyone. For example, Lopez is 5th in points with a win and a 25th place finish. Canet is in first place in points with a win and a 10th. So consistency in the first two races hasn't really been there. Roberts in second has a 2nd and a 7th it seems. I only know all that because when I heard Roberts was second in points and rumors were swirling about him and Trackhouse I looked at the results.

I respect Joe Roberts, he works hard at it and has put in the effort. But his results have not been very good, despite being on one of the best teams in the class. He does not seem to have the natural ability that someone like Acosta seems to have. But he does make up for his lack of natural ability with hard work and commitment. So in a way I see a little of myself in him. I never felt I had that natural ability to ride motorcycles. But I was still able to do well through hard work and commitment. So I can relate to Joe in my own way.

5 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

So consistency in the first two races hasn't really been there.

I heard through the grapevine that Pirelli's tires have been having a hard time to last for the entire race, Moto3 and 2.

This may explain the lack of consistency.

57 minutes ago, p6x said:

I heard through the grapevine that Pirelli's tires have been having a hard time to last for the entire race, Moto3 and 2.

This may explain the lack of consistency.

Odd as it may sound, I like that the tires fade. I think that can make for better racing. Racers have to use their tires as a limited resource. Use them up too much early on and they may not have enough later in the race.

In fact, limiting tires could be a better way to slow down MotoGP bikes then reducing engine capacity (which has already been shown to NOT be a good way to slow them down).

• Like 1

Another shoe dropped!

Fabio Quartararo will remain at Yamaha. From some of the French media, Yamaha made him an offer he could not refuse.

I think it was the best decision for him.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:31 AM, GuzziMoto said:

In Moto2 Joe Roberts is sitting second in points two races in. That would be partly due to the lack of consistency by most everyone. For example, Lopez is 5th in points with a win and a 25th place finish. Canet is in first place in points with a win and a 10th. So consistency in the first two races hasn't really been there. Roberts in second has a 2nd and a 7th it seems. I only know all that because when I heard Roberts was second in points and rumors were swirling about him and Trackhouse I looked at the results.

I respect Joe Roberts, he works hard at it and has put in the effort. But his results have not been very good, despite being on one of the best teams in the class. He does not seem to have the natural ability that someone like Acosta seems to have. But he does make up for his lack of natural ability with hard work and commitment. So in a way I see a little of myself in him. I never felt I had that natural ability to ride motorcycles. But I was still able to do well through hard work and commitment. So I can relate to Joe in my own way.

I was reading another article about the Liberty Media take over of Dorna.

Their CEO says they are not going to apply the same changes they did to F1 to MotoGP. An example is the Umbrella girls, or Grid ladies. For the time being, they are going to continue in MotoGP.

Something he acknowledged, is the need to have more riders representing markets where they want to grow. Something that Carmelo Ezpeleta answered by stating the current MotoGP riders have the required level to be where they are.

It is going to take sometimes before they can find overseas riders that meet the criteria, and that want to go through the discipline. From what I understood, Cameron Beaubier did not continue in Moto2 because he did not want to spend too much time overseas. Exactly the same reason given by Petrucci for not staying in Moto America.

Maybe Jack Gagné could be given a shot, if he was interested? I think he is already too old.

Joe Roberts is definitively their best bet. He was offered a ride in MotoGP by Aprilia in 2021, which he declined. Let's see what he does this season.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, p6x said:

Another shoe dropped!

Fabio Quartararo will remain at Yamaha. From some of the French media, Yamaha made him an offer he could not refuse.

I think it was the best decision for him.

I think financially it was his best option. But from a competition point of view it was not.  he likely could have signed with Aprilia and had a faster bike that probably suited his style. But he would not have been signed at Aprilia for anywhere near that sort of coin.

Sad thing is, Yamaha could have used that money to develop their bike. It is in a way counter-productive to sign FQ for that sort of money when your bike is in need of wheelbarrows full of money thrown at it. But it is true that having him stay will allow them to better evaluate the required changes to the bike better. As long as they can still afford to make all the changes and don't start rationing.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:30 PM, p6x said:

I was reading another article about the Liberty Media take over of Dorna.

Their CEO says they are not going to apply the same changes they did to F1 to MotoGP. An example is the Umbrella girls, or Grid ladies. For the time being, they are going to continue in MotoGP.

Something he acknowledged, is the need to have more riders representing markets where they want to grow. Something that Carmelo Ezpeleta answered by stating the current MotoGP riders have the required level to be where they are.

It is going to take sometimes before they can find overseas riders that meet the criteria, and that want to go through the discipline. From what I understood, Cameron Beaubier did not continue in Moto2 because he did not want to spend too much time overseas. Exactly the same reason given by Petrucci for not staying in Moto America.

Maybe Jack Gagné could be given a shot, if he was interested? I think he is already too old.

Joe Roberts is definitively their best bet. He was offered a ride in MotoGP by Aprilia in 2021, which he declined. Let's see what he does this season.

Joe Roberts has not been that impressive, but he has done better with the switch in tires. Funny how a change like that can make all the difference. That is why I am not a fan of spec tires in GP racing. People say it levels out the playing field, but it really doesn't do that. A spec tire will always suit some people better then it suits others. The only question is who it suits and who it doesn't.

As to Joe Roberts, while his results have not been that impressive, the same can be said for Fabio Quartararo. He was not that impressive in Moto2, but when signed to ride for the satellite Yamaha he was suddenly very impressive. In the end, Moto2 is not that good a predictor of how well someone will do in MotoGP. You never know, he could do much better in MotoGP for the right team. I am just happy he seems to be doing better on the Pirelli tires. Sounds like he prefers the Pirelli front to the Dunlop front. Based on my ancient knowledge of the Dunlop front (which is probably no longer valid) I think I get what he is saying. I prefer a front tire that is grippier, more planted, and if there is any slip involved I want that slip in the back. But the difference in tires alone can be a major factor in which series a particular racer does well in and which he doesn't.

• Like 1

According to several media, Fabio Quartararo has gotten the highest payroll.: 12 millions per year.

Aprilia is said to have only offered 4 millions.

24 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

A spec tire will always suit some people better then it suits others.

True that. But it also has to do with the motorcycle too. Remember the days when Bridgestone had set shop inside Ducati corse? Ducati were their only customers, and the bike was literally built around the tires, the tires built to suit the bike, iteratively. It worked pretty well.

The "one size" fits all is not as efficient, and we could, can verify it with the difficulty of Yamaha with today's Michelin.

But if we take the example of Marc Marquez, using the same identical tires, he went from back rider to competitive.

29 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

As to Joe Roberts, while his results have not been that impressive, the same can be said for Fabio Quartararo.

I am in agreement with you.

Fabio had an impressive past before he joined the MotoGP. All achieved in Spain. Those successes did not seem to carry to Moto3 and Moto2 until the big reveal happened in MotoGP.

Let's see what happens, but with the Liberty Media deal, their focus on getting a better exposure in the USA, and Trackhouse ownership, I would not be surprised to see Joe Roberts promoted. He is basically the unique trump card they have to make MotoGP more visible in the USA.

Unless they want to lure back Cameron Beaubier, but it is less likely. Cameron was really adamant that the sacrifices to participate in MotoGP require him to spend too much time away from the family. Now he can maybe bought like Yamaha did with Fabio?

We are coming to COTA, and my QUOTA is still immobilized....

What do we know new and certain?

Michelin is bringing a new compound to the track; the COTA racetrack has been resurfaced partially, however the asphalt is still imperfect with dips and bumps and ribs at certain places.

The VR46 team has declined to be equipped with Yamaha M1s.

That is all we allegedly know.

I may go to see the long race on Sunday, depending on what will happen on Saturday. I am usually able to crash the free Ducati parking lot.

It's not Marquez....

It's Pedro Acosta! First KTM out of four KTMs!!!

He is 5th and the other three are 14th, 15th, 16th... before Friday, Brad Binder said he was expecting another improvement to get closer to the Ducati.

I think both races are going to be strepitose!