Indian FTR Sport / Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

So many may know I own an Indian Chieftain and follow the Indian brand as a whole. For the 2023 year Indian has made some styling changes to the 2nd Gen 17' wheel version called fittingly FTR Sport, the result has in my opinion similar styling DNA to our beloved MG V11 Sport. BTW the FTR Sport isn't exactly light at 490lbs and has around 120 horses, so its not a modern super naked, but V11 Sport was never quite a Ducati Monster either in its day weighing in at 482lbs with 91HP :ph34r:. My wife likes it and stated it looks more Italian now, well not quite but definitely an improvement or change to the original dirt racing inspired Flat Track Racer. The white color is called White Lightning possibly a homage to Buell's of the same name :huh2:. The promotional video has highlights of the Moto America Hooligan class, with KTM 890's, Harley Pan America and the Indian FTR, its American racing series for sure, but fun to watch.  B)

ftr-sport-my23-84bb-model-hero-xxs.jpg

• Like 1

It looks good, undeniably. 

My "Iron Works Supply" dealership has added Indian to its portfolio, so I have seen the FTR Sport close and personal. The dealership (in Pensacola), where I purchased my V11 also had freshly added "Indian" to their selection.

If anything, there is some US interest to these.

Unfortunately, for me, I can't get past the radiator.

1 hour ago, docc said:

Curious about the fuel tank/ range. When looking at these when they first came out, it impressed me as more of an "around town bike."

Docc, the fuel is stored under the seat, the “tank” is all airbox, that said you get 3.3-3.4 gallons. With 30 mpg that’s not much range. At least on the V11 we have decent fuel range. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

And I found it is a lot longer than it seems like it is.

Interesting bike, but not my cup of tea. I have no use for a bike that big with that small a gas tank. An "around town" bike should be much smaller and nimble.

• Like 3

I rode the first year version set up with the Flat Track styled tires on it.   It rode OK.  The wide bars helped the steering.  It was close to my Ducati for engine performance.  Yes, it's got a small tank.  I think they should've done a Cafe version with a sport touring practicalities and ergos. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, p6x said:

It's all in what "decent" means to you....

It means fuel light doesn’t come on in 90 miles. I owned a 2020 Suzuki Katana 1000, the light would do this, give you gas station  range anxiety. My 2001 V11 Sport does a little better, decent.

• Like 1

In US "sport-touring", 200 miles has often been considered a desirable fuel range goal. The way I ride mySport, fueling at 150-160 is comfortable. Sure I've made it to 175, but also had to tip-slosh at 165.

I have also ridden sport-tours with a "short stick" in the group that required fuel closer to the 100 mile mark. Not the right tool for the job, IMO . . .

• Like 2
6 hours ago, docc said:

In US "sport-touring", 200 miles has often been considered a desirable fuel range goal. The way I ride mySport, fueling at 150-160 is comfortable. Sure I've made it to 175, but also had to tip-slosh at 165.

I have also ridden sport-tours with a "short stick" in the group that required fuel closer to the 100 mile mark. Not the right tool for the job, IMO . . .

The short stick issue would be compounded by a ride leader :helmet: hauling @ss for 80 miles then stopping in BFE nowhere near 😳 just saying….

1F98878F-4F2F-4EA0-9B20-3AB182E017A2.jpeg

• Haha 4