Should I buy this Moto Guzzi?

Robertguske

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to this forum. Thanks for allowing me to join.

I'm familiar with and a fan of Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I own a 1968 V700 that I'm restoring and owned a 2015 Griso that I sold a few years back (wish I hadn't sold it). I'm thinking that I'd like to get another Moto Guzzi for riding and, maybe, some longer trips (200 miles or so). There's a 2001 V11 Sport for sale in my area with 16,600 that claims to be very well cared for. Asking price is $5,900. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks!Product photo of 2001 Moto Guzzi V11

• Like 4

Hi, @Robertguske! Welcome to the best place in the world for the care&feeding of your V11 Sport!

Let me see if I can get your image to display. If you have any more images, they will help us suggest what questions to ask about the bike. Things like, "Is the VIN in the gearbox recall range?"

[I see it is a facebook image, so probably cannot get it to display here ]. . .

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t45.5328-4/273178129_4614528435339984_7365940288931500422_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=c48759&_nc_ohc=oQRq0mW5noYAX8kHlMI&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfDsFuixrxiKyGoVkMOktibFDS7qYd7lj0694cE10-XcFg&oe=6448F836

• Like 1

A few things I can see from the one image:

Very clean surface condition, original right side brake levers intact (a good sign it has remained upright on that side, especially since there is an aftermarket headguard which, sometimes, can suggest a tip-over), original turn signals including the front "extensions, a nice custom seat that was built to retain the passenger seat cover, rear "hugger" and swingarm tips intact, tank/chin-pad and side plate eagle all look in good shape. There appears to be a period correct factory accessory Stucchi Luigi-made color-matched front flyscreen and some nice (perhaps Mistral?) exhaust canisters.

The rear fender has been cut off below the license plate and the clip-ons converted to handlebars (which causes an odd throttle cable routing). For whatever reason , the clutch and front brake fluid reservoirs look painted fat black (I would prefer to see the level and condition of those fluids). [edit: those look like soft covers over the reservoirs. I am not sure why people do that.]

There is some wiring hanging below the right sidecover that I would endeavor to investigate.

A left side image, plus an image of the instruments. and a clear image of what is under the seat would be very helpful . . .

• Like 1

Okay, so, that is not the period-correct factory accessory Stucchi flyscreen (not sure what that is).

Left side levers are also intact along with the sideplate eagle badge. Starter cover and sidestand (wire) "lever" intact along with the sidestand "stop." :thumbsup:

Aftermarket exhaust crossover (Mistral?). 

The instrument needles looked completely faded out, as they would if they were original. The footpegs are a modified type with a slight "drop."  Forks are raised in the triple trees (maybe ten mm?) which perhaps shows an effort to set the suspension. Eagle badge present on the top clamp (the only other to check for would be on the alternator cover).

I cannot make out the shock/ spring, or even see the remote compression adjuster on the left side above the throttle.

Still cannot understand the loose wires on the right that look like they have been abrading the gearbox finish.

A view under the seat and service history/owner history would be good next steps.

Overall, looking like a good Sport with several "changes." Call them "improvements" if they are the things you would do yourself . . .

• Like 1

Silly handlebars. I'm convinced that I personally would find the original clip-ons more comfortable. If not, I would still put up with the clip-ons for the sake of looking cool. :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All of the above & it has a pretty nice custom seat. These bikes are sort of an obsession, once you dive in you can get hooked. For example I’ve owned two 2001 V11 Sports, one of them new just like the one your looking at in silver. You have to remember these are Italian bikes that weren’t Honda quality when new, trust me I know. But I love them, get a better price than 5900, and go into it willing to work thru any teething issues. Once sorted it is one of the coolest bikes you will ever own IMHO.

• Like 4

Seriously though, if the VIN falls within recall numbers and you cant get proof of repair, I would walk...but that's just me. Tire age is much more important than wear.  My V11 had a total of thirty years on front and rear. That definitely figured on my price offer. Have you looked the tank over closely for bubbling or blisters, common with some tanks. Mine didnt exhibit any of that, just scratches.:( Something I didnt look at close enough when I saw mine were the side covers. One side was cracked pretty bad around the mounting screws. I was a V11 newbie at the time and missed that. I'm learning though. As docc said, a pic under the seat can tell some stories if viewed by some of these guys here. And what the heck is going on with those wires? Anybody who cares enough about things being right would not have that going on. Then there's things like the universal joints...any records relating to lubing them? They are tricky to get to, especially the front. So very important. Those handlebars...routing of brake lines and cables had to be affected...are they too tight in places causing pinch points? Here's my take...You're buying an older Italian bike...there was dialing in needed when these were new, and that need has increased with age. There are things you can see now, and things you will find out in due time. Unless it is a low milage creampuff that was kept in a heated space and records to show good care and service, it would be hard for me to pay that asking price. I'm not cheap, but I want value, and I definitely dont want to pay more than it is worth. I'm not sure this owner and I would come to terms.

• Like 4

Your ruthless Doc........... :D

As for all the other stuff.......... all you need to do is take a trip through a dealership of all the new plastic wonders and compare this sexy thing to all the other new junk for the full asking price and as Mitcha once told me ( MI out of Seattle ) some here the music........ most don't.

There not making any more of these wonderful machines are they.  :notworthy:

Ciao        

• Like 3

It may be perfect and if not, it's just more money and time.  Yep, they ride great and look great.  They can be a little temperamental given that we have an entire website forum community keeping these voluptuous minxes on the road (I won't call them "fat").   Doubtful you see a deeper, more diverse, low density community than this one.   

Most of the stuff you'll need done has come from here, like the bellhousing bracket, shift springs, Roper plate and the like.   Talk about dedication.   We ride 'em too, Docc's got 100+k miles on his, mine's broken 50k.  

• Like 4