idle issue

mikev

49 minutes ago, mikev said:

Went over to the bike to see if i could locate the right side idle set screw and noticed this.  seems like the left side is not firmly connected to the engine and air is getting sucking in through there.  like it got pushed back or something.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 5.08.48 PM.png

EUREKA!

Definitely worth checking throttle body balance . . .

• Like 1

Ok, it is odd because I already purchased replacements for those hose bits connecting the throttle bodies to the valves.  

The screws for those clamps face directly up.  Do you think I need/should pull the tank to fix it?  How do I fix that without screwing up something else?  

Should be able to loosen the clamp, rotate the head where it is accessible, clean the joining surfaces, and push the hose back on. Do not overtighten. I like using P80 temporary rubber assembly lube, but common isopropyl alcohol works, too.

15 hours ago, mikev said:

Ok, it is odd because I already purchased replacements for those hose bits connecting the throttle bodies to the valves.  

The screws for those clamps face directly up.  Do you think I need/should pull the tank to fix it?  How do I fix that without screwing up something else?  

I had that exact same problem a few weeks ago, which I described in another post.

Same left side of the engine, and same lack of accessibility for one of the worm clamp.

In the picture below, you can see the rubber boot completely off the admission pipe.

You need to purchase a radio socket set containing 1/4" extensions and knuckle joints. The screw can be turned either by a flat screwdriver or a metric socket. Try to loosen the screws as much as you can. It is not easy, but with a bit of perseverance, you should be able to get it loose enough so you can rotate the clamp to get the screw more accessible. Use some spray on the clamp itself to help you.

DSCF2576

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, p6x said:

purchase a radio socket set containing 1/4" extensions and knuckle joints

Yep. I was able to loosen the clamps and get it back on.  Bike is running better than ever, I'm sure the valve job helped too.  Good tip on the radio sockets, will look for those.  I will have to learn how to check throttle body balance.  

Interesting you had exactly the same issue.  

• Like 1