"Le Mans Sleeper" V11 in Tonti frame

4corsa

1 hour ago, GuzziMoto said:

The notion that a motorcycle can't be art simply because some non-motorcyclist might not think it is art is laughable and misses the point of art. If even one person thinks something is art, it is art. That someone else, or even everyone else, would not call it art doesn't matter. Such is art.

I appreciate the art side of motorcycles (and cars, that E-type is certainly art). But my favorite part of motorcycles is riding them. 

Side note, I have a guitar hanging on my wall that is art. I do play it periodically. But more often I just look at it. It is beautiful.

Exactly....

Whether or not something is ART or NOT is in the eye of the beholder!

Mechanics/engineers will appreciate that side of it whilst others will appreciate it's aesthetic side.

Some will appreciate BOTH.

Cheers

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

Art only exists within an audience.

I found this very thought provoking. At first, I disagreed and pondered artists that create for their own edification without regard to anyone's interest in their "art."

Yet, I could not think of any artist I know, or have learned of, that wasn't seeking to "push other peoples' buttons " to whatever end; could be enlightenment, could be aggravation. Art is to be evocative/ "pushes buttons."

In fact, any artists I know have rather large egos that depend on that evocation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docc said:

I could not think of any artist I know or have learned of that wasn't seeking to "push other peoples' buttons "

Whose buttons would they be pushing if they didn't have an audience?

Like the rest of the people, there are all kind of artists and not all "creative folks" set out to "push other peoples' buttons".

In fact I believe that some of the best Art comes from folks with only a need for self-expression, a need to create and realize their vision through their skills. If that creation finds an audience, it might be considered Art.

It's when that audience grows exponentially that egos can get over bloated.

Human nature I guess, or as we say in French "Chase (human) nature and it will come back galloping".

• Like 2

We can trust AI right? I searched my IPhone photos for art. Out of about 1500 pics it chose 45 as art.

Most were rooms with paintings hanging. A bunch of dog faces (I approve) and a couple of my house. :huh2:

One motorcycle. Maybe it liked the red squares. idk. Settled science.

Anyone have a Chat GPT account?

06%20Vstrom.jpg

It's a useful and interesting feature though possibly overly OCD. While typing the search a prompt appeared for Arthropod - 1

It selected a squashed brown wooly worm I photo'd.

IMG-1215.JPG

• Haha 3

I use Chat GTP every day solely for translating emails - much better than Google Translate, especially for more technical topics.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, footgoose said:

We can trust AI right? I searched my IPhone photos for art. Out of about 1500 pics it chose 45 as art.

Most were rooms with paintings hanging. A bunch of dog faces (I approve) and a couple of my house. :huh2:

One motorcycle. Maybe it liked the red squares. idk. Settled science.

Anyone have a Chat GPT account?

06%20Vstrom.jpg

It's a useful and interesting feature though possibly overly OCD. While typing, the search a prompt appeared for Arthropod - 1

It selected a squashed brown wooly worm I photo'd.

IMG-1215.JPG

A fine bit of abstact expressionism there mate....!

• Haha 2

Define "art" well here's a definition I've thought of. If it's functional it's not "art" it's "design". In other words as soon as it has a "function" and by that I mean a physical function as opposed to an emotional function it's NOT art. Art is not designed to be physically functional. So it therefore follows if you hang a painting to cover a hole in the wall it is no longer "art" but a wall patch. Seems logical to this engineer. 

I think I'm fairly happy with that admitted "thought bubble". 

Phil

• Like 3

I do like that definition Phil, and the very astute introduction of the concept of design as opposed to Art when it comes to objects with a physical functionality.

The trouble with definitions is that sometimes the line gets blurry, for example with that painting you hang on the wall to cover a hole, it’s not Art to you because you have given it a physical function, but a person looking at that same painting not knowing about the hole in the wall could still see it as Art.

Again all very dependent on the audience / the eye of the beholder. And I don’t think you could call that “wall patch” design either...

By the same token, the “motorcycle” that I posted a picture of earlier, it is obvious that its physical functionality is so very limited that if you were to attribute it with the “design” epithet it would have to be preceded by “bad”.  So, could it be Art?

Blurry lines indeed.

Like Tom would say, its double IPA time.  :rasta:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

I do like that definition Phil, and the very astute introduction of the concept of design as opposed to Art when it comes to objects with a physical functionality.

The trouble with definitions is that sometimes the line gets blurry, for example with that painting you hang on the wall to cover a hole, it’s not Art to you because you have given it a physical function, but a person looking at that same painting not knowing about the hole in the wall could still see it as Art.

Again all very dependent on the audience / the eye of the beholder. And I don’t think you could call that “wall patch” design either...

By the same token, the “motorcycle” that I posted a picture of earlier, it is obvious that its physical functionality is so very limited that if you were to attribute it with the “design” epithet it would have to be preceded by “bad”.  So, could it be Art?

Blurry lines indeed.

Like Tom would say, its double IPA time.  :rasta:

True, so to support my logic I would need an arrow on the wall and signage "hole behind" or some such wording.  :D

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2