Passing time on the tarmac...

21 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Passengers will be sitting in the same seats, regardless of how they enter the plane.    What, am I missing something?

And regarding a passenger placement, I can't recall having to be rerouted to another seat for weight and balance.  The economy flyers allow first come seating, so w & b aren't an issue there but they are typically full flights.

I guess I must've missed something here.  So I'll admit ignorance now before I'm corrected. 

edit:

Now that I've read the rest of your point, your saying while on the ground that back loading the plane is an issue until the front is loaded?  OK, I get it,  the plane teeter-totters on the ground, the tail might hit the ground?  I've never heard of that but I get the point.   I have no idea if that's an issue but I'll take your word on it Phil.

Once in the air, then it's OK. 

Yes I thought we were talking about loading pax the a/c so on the ground how it's loaded with regards to passengers boarding can be an issue and it's often overlooked by everyone to some extent except the engineer on the ground as if he's on the ball he'll see the floating nosewheel issue. Loading a freighter is a different story and just about everyone involved is highly aware of tipping the a/c although accidents still happen. Most heavy freighters use a tail steady during loading. In flight you can walk around at will, no real issue. The autopilot is continually trimming the pitch anyway.

Phil 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lucky Phil said:

The autopilot is continually trimming the pitch anyway.

Phil 

I swear I felt like that, pitching mySport  about on the backroads, today. She and I got along rather swimmingly, her autopilot and mine. :race::thumbsup:  :ph34r:

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Simple but sometimes dangerous. Have you any experience with weight and balance and the impact on C of G ?

Phil  

Yep, I'm a pilot. The plane is loaded correctly according to cargo and passengers, just not front to back as is usually the case. Maybe I'm missing your point on how that affects flight characteristics when it is all in range before takeoff. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, activpop said:

Yep, I'm a pilot. The plane is loaded correctly according to cargo and passengers, just not front to back as is usually the case. Maybe I'm missing your point on how that affects flight characteristics when it is all in range before takeoff. 

If you are talking about front loading rear seats first it's commonly done here as they often load by aisle blocks from the rear which can cause the weight imbalance I talked about in my first post. I'm not talking about in flight weight and balance.

If you are talking about rear entry loading then it's common here.

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

Weight and balance on Bullet: "Can you get in?" "Yeah." You're good to go.. :grin:

20230808_084420.jpg

I see you got it flying Chuck, congrats. I'd never get in it to go flying of course but finishing a project of any sort is always nice achievement.

Phil 

Oh, it's a hoot, Phil. :D Fun to operate the little radial engine, and a good "flying machine." It will probably never be "finished" though. Here's an unedited cell phone video of my old friend Mike's first flight in "Bullet." ( as in slower than a speeding) ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 8/13/2023 at 1:13 AM, Lucky Phil said:

.... I'd never get in it to go flying of course ...

Jeez mate, I'd be in there like a shot. Physics says it must fly, so why not. As long as Chuck would let me have a go...  :grin:

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Jeez mate, I'd be in there like a shot. Physics says it must fly, so why not. As long as Chuck would let me have a go...  :grin:

As a general rule I don't fly in anything that weighs less than I do.

Phil

• Haha 4

(Tooting my own horn..) :rasta: Not only an award, but the biggest award a builder or restorer gets in the US, a Lindy. Need I say I was shocked? Lindy's don't grow on trees, and it was a 19 year old restoration. First time at Oshkosh, though..

The current Keeper stopped in at our strip so we could fondle it :D on his flight home to Virginia.

20230730_123949(0).jpg

20230730_123409.jpg

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Chuck said:

(Tooting my own horn..) :rasta: Not only an award, but the biggest award a builder or restorer gets in the US, a Lindy. Need I say I was shocked? Lindy's don't grow on trees, and it was a 19 year old restoration. First time at Oshkosh, though..

The current Keeper stopped in at our strip so we could fondle it :D on his flight home to Virginia.

20230730_123949(0).jpg

20230730_123409.jpg

Lindy???

Geeeeess .....Chuck please don't fly that thing from Elwood, Indiana to Paris, France.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1