Meaning of the markings visible throught the right hand side viewport?

p6x

12 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I always make sure that I turn the engine forwards before valve adjustment too.

We know the thrust washer on the forward end of the camshaft can wear on the fwd face, so the shaft is loaded aft when running. I assume this is because the cam lobes run off-center of the cam followers to rotate the followers.

Turning the engine backwards may let the camshaft move forward and change the valve clearance. 

Also the oil pump will deprime itself so oil pressure will be slower to rise on the next start.

The cam retaining fitting wears because of lack of lubrication not thrust. Guzzi use tapered cam lobes and domed lifter faces to achieve rotation and the lobes are tapered 8' of a degree in opposite directions between the lobes to avoid end thrust. The later retainers used oil slots to reduce wear on the thrust face. Rotating the engine by hand with a ratchet or spanner speed won't de prime the oil pump, same as it won't prime the oil pump at that speed turned in the correct rotation. It's simply too slow to do any pumping either way.

Phil  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Also the oil pump will deprime itself so oil pressure will be slower to rise on the next start.

I did observe that my oil pressure warning light stayed lit longer than usual.... now I understand why!!!!

Typically, it goes out right away.