6spd clutch hub madness

Cold Desert Rat

2002 Scura 11k miles

replaced original aluminum single plate clutch with new RAM clutch assy from MG Cycle (good folks)

waited forever for new 6spd clutch hub also from MG Cycle. see it in the picture next to the original

they are dimensionally identical except for the 6mm longer external splines on the new guy.

it appears to be too long to even allow the trans to mate with the bell housing.

i suppose i have to machine off 6mm, which i am annoyed but okay with

i searched but didn't find this precisely but my seasrch-fu is weak

anyone come across this?

thank you :luigi:

6spd hub.jpg

There are folks here that have been through this. For some reason, I was thinking you simply use the input hub already on the Scura?

• Like 1

No doubt people on here have been through this. Alas, I am not one of them. I will point out that the hub that is too long is likely treated / hardened and just machining 6mm off it seems like it just isn't that simple. But I could be wrong. That is just my gut reaction.

The clutch hub you need is GU01211640. This is the hub that came with the RAM kit for 6 spds, which was discontinued because they ran out of oem hubs and couldn't source them (we think).

That hub was already used in oem Scura/Tenni assemblies, so use the one from your Scura. I think (but not sure) the one MG sold you was for a 5 spd.

What I am unsure of in your case is the actuating rod length and it's compatibility with the spring actuating cup. Pretty sure the Scura rod and cup will work.

I purchased one of the last RAM 6 spd kits and the GU01211640 hub came with it.

IMG_0178.JPG

• Like 2

If this is the hub you got from MG it IS for a 6 speed but for use or conversion to a dual plate assembly.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=5222

The RAM assembly that is sold for a 5 speed is intended to convert the std dual plate assembly to the lighter single. So it would include the hub and cup to accommodate the 5 speed actuating rod, which differs in diameter and (maybe) length to the one in your Scura. Confused? Me too :huh2:

15 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

No doubt people on here have been through this. Alas, I am not one of them. I will point out that the hub that is too long is likely treated / hardened and just machining 6mm off it seems like it just isn't that simple. But I could be wrong. That is just my gut reaction.

Just take it to a local machine shop and get the required amount surface ground off it. Will take about 30 min on the surface grinder and magnetic chuck.

Phil

Isn't the V11 single plate clutch input hub (Scura/Tenni/Rsoso Mandello) already just that?

Pretty sure this is the hub that mates the RAM unit to the V11 6speed . . .

(I'll look, again, for a reference to that . . .)

• Like 1

Okay, here is a post by @Scud listing the requirements to fit the RAM unit to a V11 where the Scura hub is specified:

Another post, in that same thread, by @Tinus89 stating the RAM input hub for the 6speed (no longer available) is the same as a V11 Scura/Tenni/Rosso Mandello input hub:

It's been a while since I did that work, but I do recall getting the input hub with the RAM kit, comparing it to the input hub already on the Scura, determining that they were identical, leaving the hub on the Scura, and then tucking the spare hub away as a spare in case the original ever wears out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

Isn't the V11 single plate clutch input hub (Scura/Tenni/Rsoso Mandello) already just that?

Pretty sure this is the hub that mates the RAM unit to the V11 6speed . . .

(I'll look, again, for a reference to that . . .)

I'll say it again. Use the hub from the Scura.

2 hours ago, Scud said:

It's been a while since I did that work, but I do recall getting the input hub with the RAM kit, comparing it to the input hub already on the Scura, determining that they were identical, leaving the hub on the Scura, and then tucking the spare hub away as a spare in case the original ever wears out.

Just to clarify, @Scud, wasn't your RAM the very last of the 6speed RAM units before only the current 5speed RAM unit became all that is available?

I got one of the last 3 that MGCycles offered. Scud, myself, and (forgot who* else) got on a wait list and eventually received them.

The GU01211640 hub came with the kit, as seen in the photo. It is the same as the oem in the Tenni. I re-used the original.

* might have been @craigsinclair  that got the other one?

I recall a member doing the 5 speed RAM kit successfully and posting about it.  ??

• Like 1

It seems all is well.

Did careful measurement using depth mics and using the trans/engine case split as the datum.

There's 3mm+ before the splines can touch the pressure plate. So, that seems good.

The hole in the pushrod button on the new RAM pressure plate is 6mm. I modified my 8mm pushrod to fit which makes it reversible.

I didn't dry fit the trans because I'm pretty sure it's fine.

I'm waiting on the o-ring that goes on the splined shaft under the clutch hub from Harpers.

Curtis is also sending the clutch slave. Then I can confirm pushrod length.

So far all is good. I got a little excited.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

RAMclutch.jpg

pushrod.jpg

• Like 3