No power with a brand-new battery

thelonewonderer

17 hours ago, gstallons said:

@thelonewonderer

Can you explain the first sentence a little better ? It will benefit the people that took time to help you .

Absolutely. 

One of the positive connections at the battery was touching a bit of metal that isn't a part of the electrical system. There are many connections to the battery's positive terminal, including a quick connection for a trickle charger. The quick connection was the issue. I removed the connections and then put them back in a manner where this was no longer an issue. 

As for the high idle, after more tests, it's not simply a "high" idle. Upon starting the engine, it revs fully, as if I'm fully opening the throttle. It seems to be a problematic cable, or something gummed up within the throttle body. Or it's simply running overly lean? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, thelonewonderer said:

Absolutely. 

One of the positive connections at the battery was touching a bit of metal that isn't a part of the electrical system. There are many connections to the battery's positive terminal, including a quick connection for a trickle charger. The quick connection was the issue. I removed the connections and then put them back in a manner where this was no longer an issue. 

As for the high idle, after more tests, it's not simply a "high" idle. Upon starting the engine, it revs fully, as if I'm fully opening the throttle. It seems to be a problematic cable, or something gummed up within the throttle body. Or it's simply running overly lean? 

You might be surprised how little it takes to make the engine rev up with no load on it. The throttle plates not closing all the way, something hanging up the throttle linkage as shown in the pic in the other thread would do it. Or an air leak between the throttle bodies and engine.

A basic test of whether the throttle bodies are closed all the way (or near it) might be to open the fast idle lever and see if doing so opens the throttle bodies a little. It should. You can do that test visually with the engine off, just watch the throttle bodies to see if they move when you pull on the fast idle lever. If the throttle bodies move when you pull on the fast idle lever the throttle bodies are closing, which would mean the air leak is probably somewhere else. The throttle bodies could be popped of the intake boots, or the fittings used to balance the throttle bodies might be open to the atmosphere. If the throttle bodies don't move when the fast idle lever is pulled something is holding the throttle bodies open. I would first check to see if there is any slack in the throttle cable. If there is, it is likely something is hanging up the throttle linkage down at the throttle bodies. If there is no slack, something may be miss-adjusted in the throttle cable or hanging up at the throttle on the handlebars. I would also check to see if the throttle wheel is sitting on the throttle stop. It needs to be.

It could be that the throttle cable has popped out of the fitting that secures it on either end. 

Sadly, this is something you really need to look at to find where the issue is.

• Like 4

#1 verify the throttle kicker is  fully closed.

#2 look at all the throttle linkages and be certain there is no binding anywhere  and be sure throttle plates are snapping shut when you are releasing the throttle 

• Like 3