No power with a brand-new battery

thelonewonderer

Hello everyone. 

My 2003 V11 Sport sat for over a year due to a lot of traveling for work. I stupidly forgot to put a stabilizer in the tank, which led to the fuel going bad, as well as the fuel pump. I drained the fuel, then added more, replaced the fuel pump, and put in a brand-new Yuasa battery that I got from Pro Italia in Glendale. 

After getting the bike back together, it won't start. No lights on the dash (neutral, oil pressure), and the fuel pump doesn't engage. So, it seems I'm not getting any power from the battery. 

The battery tests fine, and when I plug it into the trickle charger, the green storage light blinks. I've checked the fuse and any connections I could have messed up along the way, but everything seems fine. I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm looking forward to your help, as everyone here has always guided me in the right direction over the years. Thank you.

Yuasa.jpg

Thank you, everyone.

I should have said this before: Pro Italia also installed the battery. I rode the bike home with no problems. A day or two later, the fuel pump went out. After replacing that was when the electrical problem arose. I'll remove the battery and re-install it. I've already changed the fuse. 

• Like 1

Yes, look deep into the well for a ring terminal that got left off from either the positive or negative terminal stacks. So very common.

• Like 3

Any possibility that the troublesome clutch switch bullet connectors left of the head stock or some of the relays came loose while you were working around the tank & battery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thelonewonderer said:

I've already changed the fuse. 

Did you test it? Was it really blown?

If so, why? There is a problem somewhere. If not, that was obviously not the problem.

I'd be suspecting bad connections somewhere. Either corrosion through standing around, or having missed a cable when re-installing the battery, as has been mentioned, or some other cable (like the clutch switch connedtors), that may have been somehow involved in any work done on the bike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

Did you test it? Was it really blown?

If so, why? There is a problem somewhere. If not, that was obviously not the problem.

I'd be suspecting bad connections somewhere. Either corrosion through standing around, or having missed a cable when re-installing the battery, as has been mentioned, or some other cable (like the clutch switch connedtors), that may have been somehow involved in any work done on the bike.

It wasn't blow, but as I mentioned, electricity is foreign to me. I changed it out of caution. I have plenty of fuses lying around.  

I know enough to know that if the fuse wasn't blown, it's probably an issue with some connection.

And the main ground at the back of the tranny ?

Cheers Tom.

Recently, we had the opportunity to troubleshoot two different V11 with this behavior.

On one, the Run Switch had been toggled off, un-noticed. [edit: as @p6x points out, this condition allows the lights on, but not fuel/ignition.]

The other was not in neutral and would not power on with the sidestand down.

So, be certain the Run Switch is on and the bike is in neutral with the Neutral Light aglow. If is not, sit astride and attempt the start with the stand up and the clutch pulled in . . .

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, docc said:

On one, the Run Switch had been toggled off, un-noticed.

The OP stated when he switches the ignition, the bike remains dead; no light on the dash, no fuel pump noise; with the run switch in off position, you still get the lights and the fuel pump.

• Like 2