teslas killing Motorcyclists

On 12/13/2023 at 1:19 PM, guzzler said:

"It's a computer that happens to operate a car....."

Yep, and one with potentially deadly consequences WHEN it has a hissy fit...

Think I'd rather be master of my own destiny.

Cheers HAL ...ha ha 

Mmmm . as in HAL 9000 ?

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Mmmm . as in HAL 9000 ?

th?id=OIP.na-VdNQr_Y49ygiOg4058gHaEo%26p

We are so past that now. Even my "phone" is version 9 gigga-zillion. And it's ten years out of date. No longer supported.

Where do the No Longer Supported go?

jawa_sale_screenshot_06.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

Or,even more likely . . .

IMG_2583.JPG.jpeg

• Haha 2

Ha ha 

Mate you should see the Dinosaur I've got....

Had it for many many years but now the Telco tells me I've got till September next year to become part of the modern world as they're closing the 3G network down!....Bugger.

I get a laugh out of the sniggers when I whip it out to call or text home.....

Cheers  

• Haha 1

Back to the topic , cars, drivers were running over motorcyclists long before EVs and self driving novelties . The cell phone has done more harm than good on the road.  Numb drivers don't help a thing .

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gstallons said:

Back to the topic , cars, drivers were running over motorcyclists long before EVs and self driving novelties . The cell phone has done more harm than good on the road.  Numb drivers don't help a thing .

This discussion reminds me of a study of motorcycle fatalities, reportedly released in Europe, where female drivers of Volvos were over-represented in the statistics. Having been convinced they were in the safest car money could buy, the drivers evidently grew less aware and less diligent, basking instead in their (false) sense of safety.

I have no doubt that experienced motorcyclists are some of the best automobile drivers in the world. And that any mass in motion is inherently unsafe.

Ask anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer . . .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, docc said:

... Volvos were over-represented in the statistics. Having been convinced they were in the safest car money could buy, the drivers evidently grew less aware and less diligent, basking instead in their (false) sense of safety.

Yes, I remember that period. In Melbourne in the late eighties, Volvos were considered to be the most dangerous cars on the road. Not for the people in the Volvo, for everyone and everything else on the road. Particualarly motorcycles. :angry:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yes, I remember that period. In Melbourne in the late eighties, Volvos were considered to be the most dangerous cars on the road. Not for the people in the Volvo, for everyone and everything else on the road. Particualarly motorcycles. :angry:

Especially when driven by old men wearing hats....

Bloody hell, I fall into that category myself now but just don't have the Volvo!

• Haha 3

Riding motorcycles always was dangerous. That is a given. But this new tech and its apparent inability to recognize motorcycles is increasing that danger. That is a concern to me. I realize that the final destination of this tech will hopefully be safer. But it seems there is still a ways to go, and in the meantime this has increased the danger to motorcyclists (and pedestrians / cyclists). I am all for the tech to improve safety, but my personal observations tell me that a major problem is that this tech in some vehicles lacks the necessary safety interlocks to safely deploy on public roads. The core of those safety interlocks would be things that force drivers to stay at least somewhat involved in the operation of the motor vehicle they are operating. self driving automobiles are not really here yet, despite what some would have you believe. Even if you are using a feature like "Auto-Pilot" you are still operating the vehicle and it is still on you to operate it safely. But if the vehicle doesn't force you to be involved in the operation of the vehicle that would be, in my opinion, a design defect of the vehicle. Thus, in the event of an accident where a vehicle let a driver pawn off 100% of the driving to a system that was not capable of 100% of the driving blame should be shared by both the driver of the vehicle and the manufacturer that built a vehicle that would operate in an unsafe manner like that.

It is clearly possible to roll out safety improvements like this in a manner that does not decrease safety for some of us. But it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to do so. And failure to do so should result in financial penalties. In the end, that has always been a major driver of vehicle safety. Financial penalties for safety issues have dramatically improved vehicle safety over the years. In the end money drives progress.

• Like 1
I read this today...

Here comes the Tesla battery.
To produce it you need to excavate:
12 tons. of rock for Lithium
5 tons. of cobalt minerals
3 t. of mineral for nickel
12 tons. the mineral for the copper
Need to move 250 tons. of land to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
13.6 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
6.8 kg of Cobalt
100 Kg of Rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel and plastic.
The Caterpillar 994A used to move this earth consumes 1000 litres of diesel in 12 hours.
Here is the “zero emissions” car.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, guzzler said:

Especially when driven by old men wearing hats....

Exactly. :grin:

I wear a hat whenever I leave the house, but I take care to take it off in the car to ensure that I drive safely... :whistle:

I remember one day when I was on my way from Greensborough in to the city. Late eighties or early nineties. On the way through Ivanhoe I came up behind a Volvo station wagon, a couple of years old, squeaky clean and polished to a tee. The custom number plate said "GRANDPA", and the bloke in it hat his hat on.

I pulled over and waited for a couple of minutes until he was well gone. B)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:
I read this today...

Here comes the Tesla battery.
To produce it you need to excavate:
12 tons. of rock for Lithium
5 tons. of cobalt minerals
3 t. of mineral for nickel
12 tons. the mineral for the copper
Need to move 250 tons. of land to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
13.6 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
6.8 kg of Cobalt
100 Kg of Rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel and plastic.
The Caterpillar 994A used to move this earth consumes 1000 litres of diesel in 12 hours.
Here is the “zero emissions” car.

BUT , the end product is a zero emissions car,