Today, 29th of December marks ten years from Michael Schumacher's skiing accident;

Not specifically a fan of F1, and the reason for posting is that Michael Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he had the accident. Allegedly, the helmet shattered during the impact on a rock.

Since the accident, Michael Schumacher has not been seen publicly.

There have been a lot of speculations on everything in regard to the circumstances of the accident. One of the few facts that can't be disputed, is that he suffered permanent brain damage.

In Europe, the law forbids riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet, or without appropriate riding gear. In certain European countries, you need to wear a reflective yellow jacket over you.

Where I live, I see motorcyclists going at high speed on bikes, wearing bandanas.....

I can't tell you how many people I see riding in the summer with shorts, tank tops and sneakers. On I-5 going over 70mph or zipping around town, makes no matter. If it's hot, it's time to get skimpy...but we must have helmets on here in Oregon. We could wind up looking like a human scab, but our face will always look good. 

5 hours ago, activpop said:

I can't tell you how many people I see riding in the summer with shorts, tank tops and sneakers. On I-5 going over 70mph or zipping around town, makes no matter. If it's hot, it's time to get skimpy...but we must have helmets on here in Oregon. We could wind up looking like a human scab, but our face will always look good. 

It's called "natural selection". 

Phil

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

It's called "natural selection". 

Phil

I suppose that's right, but as a father of two daughters, when I see a young woman on the back of some of these bikes, my blood boils a bit. Not much I can do though.

• Like 1

Getting more cautious, it’s in the manual  :rasta:. We have been there right!
Cheers Tom.

4 hours ago, activpop said:

I suppose that's right, but as a father of two daughters, when I see a young woman on the back of some of these bikes, my blood boils a bit. Not much I can do though.

Choices and consequences. I have 3 kids myself.

Phil

On 12/30/2023 at 1:20 AM, Tomchri said:

We have been there right!

I saw a helmet a couple of years before I started riding myself that had nast scratches on the chin piece. That convinced me to only ever wear a full-face helmet.

When I had my accident about 5 years ago, my helmet lost about 3 mm of material just below the visor on the right side. If it had been an open-face helmet, I would have lost half my face. Don't like to think what might have happened without the helmet, and the full leathers, which also had some nasty road-rash afterwards. :huh2: