Inlet Rubbers

guzzler

G'day folk's.

Just out of curiosity, how tight should these be done up?

Tight so can't tighten any more or just so...?

I tried a search but couldn't really find anything relevant.

Cheers Guzzler   

Till the rubber cracks. :whistle:

No, seriously, assuming they are in good nick and not old and hard, just until the rubber starts to show the very first signs of bulging out from under the clamp.

If they are old and hard, they need to be replaced. B)

• Haha 1

Thanks Mick.

I just had them replaced and have a very slight stumble at idle on the odd occasion...

I did tighten them up more and got several more turns of the screwdriver on the clamp and then wondered if i'd overtightened the buggers?

Cheers 

29 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Till the rubber cracks. :whistle:

No, seriously, assuming they are in good nick and not old and hard, just until the rubber starts to show the very first signs of bulging out from under the clamp.

If they are old and hard, they need to be replaced. B)

Then back off 1/4 turn. Same with stripping bolts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, they can be overtightened to the point the rubber is pinched and curls. Tight enough that they will not turn by hand. Shin-Etsu Grease is our friend!

Any changes to the intake tract (intake rubbers, throttle bodies, valve adjustment) and the throttle body balance (complete Decent Tune-up, even?) should be performed . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm ashamed, I have yet to have ever balanced mine. Or on my V7 either.

@Scud is local to me and I believe he has the knowledge and tool to do this. One of these days, I hope to meet up with him, if not for a ride, than a beer in the garage. :bier:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

@Scud is local to me and I believe he has the knowledge and tool to do this. One of these days, I hope to meet up with him, if not for a ride, than a beer in the garage. :bier:

I have oft likened balancing the throttle bodies to tuning a musical instrument. There is a great, settling joy when the harmony is found.:wub:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I'm ashamed, I have yet to have ever balanced mine.

@Scud is local to me and I believe he has the knowledge and tool to do this.

You can make your own balance tube tool to synchronize the throttle bodies if Scud doesn't have one. It is simple on a V11 because there are only two cylinders and two throttle bodies. 

I found out about this from an old post from 2003. How to build a water manometer - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

See also :https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/19610-decent-tune-up/?do=findComment&comment=233692

Manometer & TB Synch.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Beer > Tylenol > beer. Repeat as necessary.

• Haha 1

I had a DYI tool with clear tubes filled with lightweight air-tool oil. That worked great till one tube touched a pipe, melted, and the other cylinder had a drink of oil...

Since then, I bought a balancing tool, but have not had occasion to use it yet. Happy to lend it.

There is a fair supply of beer in the garage... along with stuff for an outdoor project. Once that (the stuff, not the beer) is cleared out, it will be time to play with motorcycles again.

@Scud I hadn't realized you've not used the tool as of yet. Clear out that garage, then I'll swing by and we can sync both our bikes. I'll treat us to lunch afterward.

• Like 1

Just for the sake of showing off, I've got a set of these:

index_neu.jpg

https://www.boehm-synchrontester.de/

I don't expect that they are available in the USA, but who knows. :huh2:

They're fiddly, because one has to adjust the damping on them for the best compromise between "open enough to measure realistically" and "closed enough to stop them oscillating madly". Despite that, I really like using them. Probably because it's fiddly, and you feel like you're being really professional. :whistle:

And they're just pretty. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3