04' Engine Oil Level?

daviscr5

First off, I apologize for posting an oil-related question. I realize this could lead to a proper thrashing on the forum. I did check the FAQs before posting (and read the dipstick calibration thread which didn't seem to really answer my question).

That said, I changed the oil yesterday (warmed bike up with a 10 min ride, drained, dropped the pan, changed the filter, wiped the pan dry, pre-filled the filter with oil, installed band clamp to prevent filter from backing out, and re-filled with precisely 3.25 liters - that includes the oil I pre-filled in the filter).  Rode bike around the neighborhood so it was warm when I checked the oil (upright and level, screwed dipstick home before checking).

The dipstick is reading a little high - maybe 1/16" - 1/8" above the full mark.  The manual called for 3.5 liters which is 250 cc's more than I already filled it with.  

Am I good or should I drain a little out or add even more?  Sorry!

The dipstick would be more important then adding as much oil as the specs say to add in my opinion. The dipstick is telling you how high physically the oil level is in the sump. That is the more important factor here. You may want to add a Roper plate for your oil sump, it helps control the oil in the sump and keeps it from sloshing away from the oil pickup. There is info on here about them. Also, the dip stick can be tricky to read. In some cases I have drilled holes in the dip stick to make it easier to read. Small (1/16") holes make it easier to see where the oil level is. Then there is the debate of screwing the dip stick in vs just putting it back in the hole.

Over filling the sump can lead to oil being blown out the breather. That is annoying. I would rather be slightly lower then perfect vs over filled.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

First off, I apologize for posting an oil-related question. I realize this could lead to a proper thrashing on the forum. I did check the FAQs before posting (and read the dipstick calibration thread which didn't seem to really answer my question).

That said, I changed the oil yesterday (warmed bike up with a 10 min ride, drained, dropped the pan, changed the filter, wiped the pan dry, pre-filled the filter with oil, installed band clamp to prevent filter from backing out, and re-filled with precisely 3.25 liters - that includes the oil I pre-filled in the filter).  Rode bike around the neighborhood so it was warm when I checked the oil (upright and level, screwed dipstick home before checking).

The dipstick is reading a little high - maybe 1/16" - 1/8" above the full mark.  The manual called for 3.5 liters which is 250 cc's more than I already filled it with.  

Leave it as it is. It will be fine. Although not necessary I pre fill the filter if I can but there are plenty of instillations where you can't do this. As an aside I never leave the oil to drain overnight either. That can lead to priming issues.

Phil

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

I find checking the oil level to be a rather curious affair. Firstly, the dipstick enters the crankcase at an angle, which does not allow precise measurement. The lean angle of the bike when parked on the stand introduces another variable. Any change in the lean of the bike (suspension sag, tire height/profile, or slight uphill/downhill grade tosses another figurative wrench in the gears, said wrench invariably striking the shift detent spring. Was the bike, even though on the side stand, on a level surface? Or was it on a center stand or rear axle spool stand?

Remember Emerson, Lake and Palmer's song, "The Endless Enigma"?

• Haha 2

Thanks for all of the responses.  I could not help my OCD and carefully drained it down to just perfectly at the the top of range following dinner.  We are now safely at the "max" mark. Crisis averted.

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Leave it as it is. It will be fine. Although not necessary I pre fill the filter if I can but there are plenty of instillations where you can't do this. As an aside I never leave the oil to drain overnight either. That can lead to priming issues.

Phil

• Like 2

I'm with Phil IMHO far too much navel gazing regarding oil level in the sump

I ASS-ume it's a Broadsump, although I don't own a V11 I have 2 Broadsump bikes, a Sporti and HiCam (Daytona engine).  I've got Roper plates in both and fill to just below the plate and never had any issues, that's well above the high mark on the stick.

I find the dipstick a PIA I can never read it reliably, but that could be me.

Volumes quoted for sump levels are as @GuzziMoto stated are based on a dry engine, which will never be the case on an oil change, so sump levels/dipstick markers are a better indicator

I'm not saying "do what I do" or that it's correct, just it's perhaps not quite as critical as some folks make out

• Like 2