Curious...

guzzler

G'day folks.

I was flicking through Total Control by Lee Parks recently and came across a section on Traction.

There was mention of a bloke on an SV650 who was achieving pretty good lean angles on his standard tyre which on the SV was a 160/60 jobbie on a 4.5 inch rim like our red frames .It then went on to mention that a 160/60 wasn't really designed for a 4.5 inch rim but for a 5 inch rim.In fact by fitting this tyre to a 4.5 inch rim it's pinching it to the point that you can't use the very edges of the tyre unless you crash!

I've been running the 160/60 profile on mine for years now and have often wondered why I can't seem to get to the very edges of the tyre! 

I don't really think about it when I'm riding ( nor care a great deal ) but I also reckon I achieve decent lean angles and have about 15mm of unused tyre at the very edges so in order to sate my curiosity...

How's your chicken strips?

Cheers Guzzler

Ps I'm pretty happy with the 160/60 profile and have no complaints really...just curious.

I take an angle grinder and feather the tires to the edges.  Then I bevel the pegs at 45º. Then I pull up to the local bike hangout, hook my pants leg on one of the pegs and promptly fall over. Honestly, roughing the tires out to the edges might actually have benefit, in case you go in a little hot and have to tighten a corner up.

2 hours ago, guzzler said:

How's your chicken strips

They're getting wider the older I get... :whistle:

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

. Honestly, roughing the tires out to the edges might actually have benefit, in case you go in a little hot and have to tighten a corner up.

I've often considered doing that. Good to see someone else mention it. Maybe I'll give it a go. :)

8 hours ago, guzzler said:

G'day folks.

I was flicking through Total Control by Lee Parks recently and came across a section on Traction.

There was mention of a bloke on an SV650 who was achieving pretty good lean angles on his standard tyre which on the SV was a 160/60 jobbie on a 4.5 inch rim like our red frames .It then went on to mention that a 160/60 wasn't really designed for a 4.5 inch rim but for a 5 inch rim.In fact by fitting this tyre to a 4.5 inch rim it's pinching it to the point that you can't use the very edges of the tyre unless you crash!

I've been running the 160/60 profile on mine for years now and have often wondered why I can't seem to get to the very edges of the tyre! 

I don't really think about it when I'm riding ( nor care a great deal ) but I also reckon I achieve decent lean angles and have about 15mm of unused tyre at the very edges so in order to sate my curiosity...

How's your chicken strips?

Cheers Guzzler

Ps I'm pretty happy with the 160/60 profile and have no complaints really...just curious.

Not sure where he got his info on wheel widths vs tire,  but often the recommended width wheel for a 160/60 tire is 4.5" Here is a shot from Dunlop's web site for their Sportmax Q5 in a 160/60-17. The width in red is the recommended width, the width in black is acceptable.

DunlopQ5Specs.JPG

• Like 1

The width of the wheel does affect the tires profile, for sure. And a wider wheel will tend to flatten out the profile. But to suggest that a 160/60-17 tire is being pinched mounted on a 4.5" wide wheel seems wrong. Someone may prefer a wider wheel for a 160, but that is not how the tire was likely built. Sadly, specs like that are harder to find then they used to be.  I appreciate that Dunlop still publishes info like that right up front. Not all tire manufacturers do nowadays.

I can only recall one member here using a 150 on the 4.5" rim.

Last year I had the unique opportunity to see three early V11 Sport parked next to one another with three different size rear tires: 160, 170, and 180.

The angle of the sidewall looked most natural with the 160 while the 180 looked decidedly stressed.

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

My 1198 rear tyre. The bikes not even run in yet :whistle:

Smarty pants. :bbblll:

Avon is another one who states "recommended rim width" and such. For instance here (not a recommendation for the tyre, just for the information!!). The 160/60 17 is listed with 4.5" as the recommended rim. :huh2:

(scroll down to the bottom half of the page to see the table...)

https://www.avontyres.com/de-de/reifen/3d-supersport?searchtype=tire&cartype=motorcycle

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

I can only recall one member here using a 150 on the 4.5" rim.

Last year I had the unique opportunity to see three early V11 Sport parked next to one another with three different size rear tires: 160, 170, and 180.

The angle of the sidewall looked most natural with the 160 while the 180 looked decidedly stressed.

Yes a 180 on a 4.5 rim is wrong and I don't know anything about tyres.

Phil

51 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

...and I don't know anything about tyres.

Aahhh, that's why the tyre on that Ducati looks like it does... :grin:

• Like 1

Thanks fellas.

Yeah, I thought the 160/60 looked ok on the rim too!

Ha ha I'm not about to go dragging my arse down the road to find out how far to lean to get rid of the strips and will just keep on doing and enjoying what I'm doing!

Cheers 

Ps as for scrubbing the edges in case you go in a little hot sometime....

Not sure but after x amount of heat cycles I doubt the edges would be any concern if not scrubbed.... ???

2 hours ago, guzzler said:

Not sure but after x amount of heat cycles I doubt the edges would be any concern if not scrubbed.... ???

Don't know for sure (I don't know anything about tyres... :whistle:), but there is the thing with the silicon shit that they use to make releasing the tyre from the mould easy, and oxidation on the unused surface could also be an issue. :huh2: