Speedometer Help Again

dbarb3

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

The disc was missing from the one on the speedo. I had a damaged angle drive in the parts bin, so I dismantled it and used that disc. Rather than just repairing the speedo angle drive with the JB, I did both of the ones on the bike as well as an NOS extra I had, just in case. My test ride proved successful!

Some detailed images of the actual issue might have been nice. Images of speedo drives with blobs of JB on them don't tell us much:huh:

I'm a images person I don't read very well.

Phil

ARGH!

I repaired all of this, drove a test mile with perfect speedo function, put it in the garage.

This morning, I hop on to run to work and no speedo function, WTH!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, cowtownchemist said:

My Speedhut are at 31,380 miles, 7 1/2 years, and have outlasted all of my efforts to keep three Veglia speedos (and numerous angle drives) in the game . . .

• Sad 1

My last effort will be to better shim the cable, as there are small washers at one end. My thought is maybe they are allowing the cable to disconnect just enough to stop engaging.

It occurred to me to point out there are two angle drive, the other being attached to the speedometer end. It is usually not the trouble that the gearbox one is, but is worth inspecting.

• Thanks 1

Found my problem, my JBWeld didn't hold. It blew the cap back off. Fortunately, I have another angle drive from my NOS speedo, so I replaced it, and it too has been gobbed with JBWeld. It's on there thick, I expect it will hold, better than the other as this cap has never been removed.

"Jesus, a little mercy please."

• Like 3

…rode to work again today, all is well, again.

One item I didn't mention is the cable has a nut at one end. I originally had this at the speedo side, but now at the trans side. I'm not certain which end is up. I didn't swap the sheath, only the cable. I did this because it seems like it seated better.

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

…rode to work again today, all is well, again.

One item I didn't mention is the cable has a nut at one end. I originally had this at the speedo side, but now at the trans side. I'm not certain which end is up. I didn't swap the sheath, only the cable. I did this because it seems like it seated better.

The 'nut' (little crimped on ring, right?) is there so the inner doesn't fall out of the outer, for instance if your cable comes loose from your transmission. I don't think it matters for operation as long as it has clearance in the ferrule. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the inner cable only slides in one way as Pressureangle said. You want the cable oriented so that it only can slide in from the speedo end. That way if the cable comes loose from the transmission the inner cable will not fall out.

• Thanks 1

KICK ME IN THE HEAD! Sheesh, the damn thing failed again, on my way to work this morning. I won't know why until I get home and take it apart. I cannot believe the grief. I'd swap for Speedhut, if not for the cost.

You may be able to make the cable work with only one angle-drive if you only have one working angle drive. I seem to recall some V11's did not come with an angle-drive at the transmission. The angle-drive at the transmission helps with the cable routing, but it may not be required. And the angle-drives do tend to be a failure point. But I could be wrong, I am pretty old.

• Thanks 1

I have an 02 LeMans that had angle drive, but converted to cable drive only. Straitened out some of the metal tube curve and rerouted the cable. It comes real close to the throttle rod and doesn't touch. Has been real smooth for 8K miles. 

speedo drive.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speedo, speedo, speedo; my on-going adventure. Today maintaining 80mph, I noticed the needle dropping, then holding at 30mph, while still doing 80. I reach behind the gauge, rattle the cable, no change. I then reach down to the trans angle drive and bingo, it's been backed out a bit, on it's own. I screw it back down and all is well. A little lock-tight or similar will be applied tonight when I get home!

I used the crank mine down with slip-joint pliers. It's a hairy-knuckled cludge, but helped.

Just a reminder to inspect the screw down housing where it is inserted into the angle drive. Make certain is pressed in fully.

IMG_0312.JPG