LED bulb installation

Hi,

I’m replacing my headlight bulb with an LED, and I noticed attached inside the bucket is a metal reflector or shield. I attached a picture, which shows the reflector in the center.  I’m curious that by changing to the LED if the Shield is necessary and should be removed? Is it to shield the lens for the bulb heat? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Paul

IMG_0149 (1).jpg

23 minutes ago, PDBoulder said:

Is it to shield the lens for the bulb heat?

I don't think so. I have to say, I'm guessing a bit, but it makes sense to me.

I believe the shield is there to reflect the light that would go "straight out" back in to the reflector at the back of the lamp, and distribute it more evenly across the lens at the front of the lamp. If the shield wasn't there, there would be a very bright point in the middle of the lamp. This would be, on the one hand, a "waste" of light energy that could be better distributed across the whole lens (as with the shield...), and on the other hand a great disturbance to traffic coming from the other direction.

Whether the LED lamp needs that depends, I think, on how the light element is constructed. If the LEDs don't light forwards, and I believe they mostly don't, then the shield may not be really neccessary.

However, if the LED light source doesn't light forwards at all, and most of the pictures I have seen indicate that this is the case, then the shield wont make any difference, and taking it out would also not be really neccessary, unless the LED element were too long to fit underneath it. :huh2:

• Like 2

You can try a slightly shorter LED headlight. Same voltage, just a shorter size. With mine, that reflector piece shook off and was pulled out, making my install easier. The problem with that is that the assembly doesn't project the light in a given direction with the high beam on. Low bean is fine. Both bright, but with high beam, it just goes everywhere..

I'm in the process of swapping all of my lighting to LED. My turn signals have been a challenge. I've bought adjustable relays, cleaned switches, etc.. I'm suspecting a prior owner spliced an LED relay somewhere. Likely to either not having access to the right relay or was just being cheap when he installed these cheapo LED turn signals. I can't find the culprit or have the intensive time due to my work schedule, so she'll be heading to the shop soon. 

My diffuser broke, I tried to fix it with super glue but it broke again.  Are you planning to sell your existing headlight perhaps with the diffuser…if so and it’s working perfectly I’d be interested as I haven’t been able to find a replacement diffuser yet.

My LED headlight bulb experiences with the V11 Lemans....

1st LED was a few millimeters too long on the backside and caused an interference fit with the back of the bucket so, that didn't work. 

2nd LED was the same overall dimensions as the oem H4, it fit, it worked fine with the inside shield.  However, the LED was an "off brand"  for about $15, it only lasted a few weeks.  I reinstalled the original bulb.

I'll probably get back to installing a "good" quality LED headlight bulb one of these days.  I liked the lower current draw on the electrical system with the LED in place.

Thank you for the replies,

I'll leave the shield in for now and see what the pattern looks like. Just incase like guzziart, it fails or there turns out to be some other issue, I can always go back to the H4 bulb.

Recomended by the doc. I have 4 going, BEST sofar.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

4 1/2 years/ 20,000 miles/32.000 km. Very happy with this unit. Both the hi-beam pattern and low beam cut off are really excellent in the early Sport Bosch steel bucket:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

50 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Recomended by the doc. I have 4 going, BEST sofar.

Cheers Tom.

How are the beam patterns and fit in the later V11 plastic headlamp buckets, @Tomchri ?

23 hours ago, docc said:

How are the beam patterns and fit in the later V11 plastic headlamp buckets, @Tomchri ?

Have those bulbs in my 03, 04, V11 and patterns is like a regular H4 halogen, only brighter. 1100 Sport needed some grinding on the bulb to get the lock working. Don’t fit in my 01 Greenie steel housing. My 99 has an aftermarket smaller housing with enough length to fit. Don’t ride a lot after dark no more, but no dought, BETTER.   
Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Figures!   I'll have to get off my wallet again seeing as the Vintage brand fits ok with the plastic bucket on the V11 Lemans.  

• Like 1