Anyone with 1979 CBX 1000 experience here? I need some advice;

$175/hr to play doctor ? Hmmm. What , uhh , do you own a CBX or is this a desire to own a CBX .  

To live in Decoy , Ky I have seen some exotic stuff around here along w/no desire to own any of it. Be careful for what you wish , you may get it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Hmmm.

1 Don't buy ANYTHING you can't fix yourself . Get a bunch of biker buddies that own and work on their own bikes and hang out w/them too.

2 A great mechanic doesn't negotiate prices. a greater mechanic may let you watch them and instruct you on what they are doing , why and what you can DIY . A good mechanic will explain why they do something and what you can do . 

3 Just because you want one doesn't mean you need one. I will have to quote a saying my Momma used to have "you need that like you need a possum with a red asshole".

4  If I didn't know as much as I do (especially joining THIS forum) , I would have regretted this bike . 

1) hmm.... it is not that I could not fix it myself. It is just a matter of workspace and tooling. As for biker buddies, I do not have anybody that I know with a CBX 1000; at least at this point in time. Davey says he maybe able to help me with someone that he says used to own one.

2) I don't know if that guy is a great mechanic... actually, to understand if someone is "great", you need to work with him for a little while, so you can judge. This guy is young, self-taught, which does not mean much, one way or another. Take a look at the video herewith. In France, near Paris, we have a college that specializes in fixing automotive stuff. I would certainly trust someone who graduated from there.

3) I certainly don't need one. I still would like it though.

4) The forum is a nice comfort zone because it is like a blog of the well known issues of the V11. It is like a perpetual memory.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, guzzler said:

G'day mate.

Honda CBX world and ICOA are both USA centric CBX forums as far as I can tell....

It may be worth a look?

Our ole V11's are pretty basic bikes but they sure as hell have some foibles that this forum is brilliant at sorting!

The CBX forums may possibly be handy for same or if only pointing you to someone reputable?

Cheers 

I will check them out.

Blue smoke is highly unlikely to be valves. I can't remember if CBX's have valve guide oil seals. More likely to be a scored bore or a busted ring, most likely one of the inner cylinders with low compresh.

Once, in a galaxy far, far away I had to do a head service on a CBX using Neway cutters. 24 tiny valves. It took a long time. I prefer not to think about it......

• Thanks 2
13 hours ago, guzzler said:

Honda CBX world

You remember when a member of this forum was stating that he was losing audience on his own forum, maybe based on the photos he posted, that could have offended some members?

I answered that keeping a forum active is also based on how much new content is added. If the forum is "dormant", members check it less, and it soon becomes vacant.

Yesterday, I joined and posted my question on CBX World. Guess how many answers? I am not even sure anyone looked at the post.

This is the issue. On this forum, whoever asks a technical question gets acknowledged, even if the question is not immediately answered. That makes a big difference.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, gstallons said:

$175/hr to play doctor ? Hmmm. What , uhh , do you own a CBX or is this a desire to own a CBX .  

To live in Decoy , Ky I have seen some exotic stuff around here along w/no desire to own any of it. Be careful for what you wish , you may get it

We agree on me financing his desire to work on a CBX. He was more enthusiastic than me about getting the bike. I am not going to pay for his training.

To your point about getting what you wish for, I remember all my friends warning me about getting married... I still went ahead with it, and then.... got what they meant.

Seriously, I am not going to purchase a lemon. I am doing my homework. This thread attests it. Once I meet the guy, check the bike out, I will not buy it on the whim of the moment.

So, based on all the answers on this thread and through private messages, it is obvious this CBX is not for someone like myself. I jumped at the opportunity because that bike is in Texas, close to one of the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas stop I am about to make. Checking it out was going to be simple.

The engine is a lottery, and anything can be wrong with it. That unknown can turn out to be incredibly expensive, and even more expensive than purchasing a CBX in good working order. Some of the bike's part are not stock, (thanks again for pointing it out, you will recognize yourself!).

There seems to be no easy/reasonable way to get someone to work on it.

Therefore, I will ditch that idea, at least for the time being; until I come across another CBX 1000.

• Like 3

What with no experience with the CBX, I have refrained from comment. Yet, I had a significant foray into a similar era 1000cc 1975 Honda twenty-five years ago. Even then, support and parts were becoming difficult. I rode the GL1000 four years, about 44,000 miles, in some very demanding sport-touring riding with modern motorcycles in the group. She acquitted herself well, but was heavy and had limited ground clearance for aggressive cornering. I did love that flat-four shriek from 6-8,000 rpm! :sun:

In the end, I suspect the continual stream of costs was a factor in The Wife's endorsement of the V11 Sport. Pretty sure she might have thought, " At least the Moto Guzzi is a brand new bike. It couldn't possible bleed us like the old Honda. " :whistle::huh: :unsure:

IMG_9905.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mate.

That looks pretty good, in fact it's the only Gold Wing I'd even contemplate riding!

Kinda always thought the original was best eh!

Actually, I was offered a ride on an 1800 6 cylinder jobby some time ago but after hoisting it (about 400 kg's) off the side stand thought the better of it...ha ha .

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

I did not come out unscathed of the Guzzi venture either. If I add up only the cost of getting on the odometer fixed, on the other the tachometer, then I get to USD 1000...

At this point, I've spent as much on tires as I did to buy mySport new . . . :ph34r: