Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

Guzzi used to / still have a core of die-hard customers.

If they don't get this 'attitude problem' sorted quickly though, they will find that the diehards will not buy new Moto Guzzis.

Nige. :angry:

Hi to all on the forum. This is my first post, ( a lurker for a few years). I'm the guy Pete Roper was talking about from Melbourne Australia with the latest Scura clutch issue.

Basically my story is the same as Roberto's with near exact triangular cracks through the fly wheel. Roberto's description of failure was word for word like my expierience.

"The first signs of it was vibration through the clutch lever and a little more noise while changing gear. On investigation I've found that the flywheel centre where it is attached the the crank has separated from the rest of the flywheel, and many cracks are radiating outwards."

This thankfully all started happening at a moderate speed with no rear lock up etc.

The bike was fixed at a local dealer, (light weight Ram clutch installed). As the bike was 3 months out of warranty no one is listening from the importer.

I have the clutch at home and it is a Ram. I bought the Scura from another dealer with 5000kms on the clock and it now has 22500kms on it.

I will be having a chat with the parts guy at Moto One in Melbourne to compare the the broken with the new to see if there is a difference. The new Ram unit has a different friction surface on it and it must be lighter than the previous Ram unit as it definitely spins to red line much quicker than before.

It would be "nice" for Guzzi to take notice and act on this before someone is killed !!!

Regards

Bruce

Hi bruce, can you put some pictures here? I can't figure out why until now only scura's have the problem where the same sort of clutch is also on rosso mandellos and tenni's. There must be something different.

35496[/snapback]

Is it just that there are a lot more Scuras than Mandellos & Tennis & that they all will fail given enough time?

Nige. :unsure:

I have been looking at the photos posted. Is it possible that the radius on the edge of the boss may be too sharp, causing a stress point as the flywheel accelerates & decelerates. A change of design incorporating a larger cross section around the boss would be stronger?

Nige. :nerd:

Hi to all on the forum.  This is my first post, ( a lurker for a few years). .....I will be having a chat with the parts guy at Moto One in Melbourne to compare the the broken with the new to see if there is a difference.

Bruce,

Thanks for posting on this.

KB :sun:

Hi to all on the forum.  This is my first post, ( a lurker for a few years).  I'm the guy Pete Roper was talking about from Melbourne Australia with the latest Scura clutch issue. 

Bruce. I'd be really, really, interested to have a squizz at it if you'd let me. I've got to come down to Melboring at some point erasonably soon as I've got a motor and gearbox to drop off and my beautiful, lovely Convert to pick up. D'you know Phil Doland or John Ferguson? They're both in the Vic club I think. If you could drop it off to one of them or just get Steve Denny to send it up with my next parts order I'll just have a squizz at it and return it to you, I'll pay postage etc.

Pete

Ive been following this Scura clutch issue for some time now. Ive put about 7k miles on mine with no trouble whatsoever. I can assure you it see redline revs ona regular basis. Sure, there is the neutral clatter. This clutch feels better and works better than about any Ive used. I prefer it to the standard Guzzi unit.

I cant help but wonder what percentage of these have gone bad. With only a handful reported, it doesnt seem of crisis proprtions considering the numbers out there. In fact, i wonder how many problems with the standard cutch are experienced that we dont hear about.

I know, I know, Im not discounting the concern that unlucky owners have. I only caution against overreacting to a few high-profile cases. :rasta:

Bruce. I'd be really, really, interested to have a squizz at it if you'd let me. I've got to come down to Melboring at some point erasonably soon as I've got a motor and gearbox to drop off and my beautiful, lovely Convert to pick up. D'you know Phil Doland or John Ferguson? They're both in the Vic club I think. If you could drop it off to one of them or just get Steve Denny to send it up with my next parts order I'll just have a squizz at it and return it to you, I'll pay postage etc.

Pete

35537[/snapback]

Pete

I've dropped off the clutch/flywheel to Steve at Moto one. Your more than welcome to examine and or look into a solution for this. Don't worry about the returning it. Its yours to play with.

The more you start to play with these new bikes the sooner you may have one. We all would probably benefit from this.

regards

Bruce

ps. are you able to post some pictures to the forum of the unit ? The damage is remarkably similair to previous images.

Bruce,

Do you know if the clutch has been worked on before, because one of the things Guzzi says about it, that it it occurs  because of wrong mounting torque by dealers or third partys.

35605[/snapback]

Really? Do I detect the smell of frogshit in the air :D ?

What sort of washers are used with the mounting bolts? Given that all the alloy wheels I've seen that have gone tits-up have had the alloy marked by schnoore washers I wonder if this is a consideration? Perhaps the bolts or their washers are starting stress raisers in the alloy?

The torque argument sounds like a 'We haven't got a clue' answer to me.

Oh, Thanks for sending me the clutch Bruce. If I can see anything specific I'll let people know but obviously I'll just be making wild guesses probably so don't take what I say, (If anything.) as gospel.

Pete

As I remember there's a circular steel plate that all the flywheel bolts go thru to bolt up the flywheel to the crank?

KB :sun:

35622[/snapback]

That's what mine had when I took it apart.

johnk