What's up with the Breva bashing?

Guest AdamofKC

After seeing the response of some of the fellow forum-goers on the topic of the new Breva 1100, I just thought to myself.  What is up with all this bashing?

I personally think that it is a good looking bike, and personally, something that seems highly competative vs comparative bikes such as the BMW r1200rt(although the latter looks worse).

ABS, shaft drive, good touring capabilities (from what I can guess), heated hand-grips, gps, large gas tank, a fresh new look in relation to the cookie-cutter cruisers and touring bikes.

So, why don't most of you guys here like it?

62282[/snapback]

Gosh, don't take it personally. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A good buddy of mine was one of the motojournalists who first rode the bike many months ago around Tuscany for the press intro. He has had many days on an '02 Lemans, as well as regular seat time on my V11, so comparisons can be made. His words seem to hit the nail so to speak. He said that the Breva seemed to be a bike where all the components are 'working in unison', a complete package. The accessory package was on a par with the competition. Fit and finish was first rate. The styling was summed up to be universally acceptable for the larger masses. The problem was, it just wasn't as fun. The V11 series has more than a little bit of "hair of the dog "attitude. Huge comparitive character.

Unlike our honourable Mr. Roper, I can't honestly say I hate any bikes. Some I don't care for as they attract "wannabees" and "instant tuff guys" [Harley]. Some I feel sorry for, as they seem to have been beaten very hard with an ugly stick. I agree with you that when it comes to the use of the ugly stick, most new BMW's have been wacked pretty hard, with the new R1200RT suffering the effects perhaps worse than most any bike I've seen in decades.

I think the Breva might have suffered an errant smack with that stick as well.

Ciao, Steve G.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two minor peeves about the Breva 1100:

One, the styling, although handsome and very functional, is not very original, nor as beautiful as the other V11 six speeds.

I think it borrows from BMW and Yamaha.

Two, psycho-illogically, it is hard to lose a HP or two.

The V11S gained a HP or two over the V1100S...This was IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if you know what I mean)

But otherwise Guzzi did a hell of a job building what they should have built ten years ago!

If you offered me an even trade, I'd have to, unfaithfully or rather adulturously, say YES.

My first bike was the BMW R1150R. I bought that because its damn easy to drive, big, relatively fast, secure and holds its value.

Had the Breva been around I would have gone for that instead. You have to look at what the Breva competes against in order to give it a fair judgement. Its not a bike for me, its not a new V11 or a new LeMans, its a bloody good looking naked bike for grown ups, new bikers with deep pockets, and people not in a hurry. And the target group loves it. Its good marketing! MG needs the money in order to make the V12 for the rest of us :-)

I am a designer, and I think its one of the best designed bikes around. The details are amazing, and all surfaces are well treated and has an exclusive feel to them. In the flesh, and in red I love it. I actually think its one of the best designed, and most international looking italian bikes I have seen since the Ducce 916. (NB: I love my V11 because it is BRUTAL, not because it is well designed. It is not.)

I cant wait to see the sporty spinoff of the Breva.

By the way, the Griso is difficult; neither a naked sportsbike or a cool powercruiser. Neat touches but cluttered, neither brutal nor refined... it should have had more raw, butch appeal as a competitor to the Yam MT01, or to the Triumph Speed Triple. Its too long, too heavy... It has nothing of the appeal that the compact, muscular V11 has. The stance is wrong. I fear its gonna flop...

And its friday...beer day.... :bier:

By the way, the Griso is difficult; neither a naked sportsbike or a cool powercruiser. Neat touches but cluttered, neither brutal nor refined... it should have had more raw, butch appeal as a competitor to the Yam MT01, or to the Triumph Speed Triple. Its too long, too heavy... It has nothing of the appeal that the compact, muscular V11 has. The stance is wrong. I fear its gonna flop...

62370[/snapback]

Breva may be well designed in terms of how it is made: of course that doesn't mean it's well designed for every purpose or to every taste or that it's well designed as a raw motorbike. (Ok, it's not meant to be a 'raw' bike – and the V.11 is much closer to that).

Some bikes are well designed, as comfy armchairs.

Some bikes are well designed as fashion items or jewellery.

Some bikes are well designed as cars: and so and so on...

Some bikes don't seem to be fastidiously designed – but they are great bikes.

I think you are right about the Griso, though I don't think that it will flop.

Generally I like it, but mostly because I like the idea that the machinery is much better sorted and that it is made to much better quality standards. – And that it is not the Breva. I very much want to see a real one. My fear is that this might be a bike designed as jewellery, slightly vulgar jewellery. From the pictures it looks a bit like the equivalent of a big gold medallion, to hang on the hairy chest of swarthy Italian Medallion Man. It may not be as bad as that in real life.

I think I might want one, but the bike is not 100% convincing. From the pictures, it's about 80% convincing.

I still think that the V.11 may be the last 'proper motorbike', in a rounded sense, to come from Guzzi.

Guest AdamofKC
Gosh, don't take it personally. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A good buddy of mine was one of the motojournalists who first rode the bike many months ago around Tuscany for the press intro. He has had many days on an '02 Lemans, as well as regular seat time on my V11, so comparisons can be made. His words seem to hit the nail so to speak. He said that the Breva seemed to be a bike where all the components are 'working in unison', a complete package. The accessory package was on a par with the competition. Fit and finish was first rate. The styling was summed up to be universally acceptable for the larger masses. The problem was, it just wasn't as fun. The V11 series has more than a little bit of "hair of the dog "attitude. Huge comparitive character.

Unlike our honourable Mr. Roper, I can't honestly say I hate any bikes. Some I don't care for as they attract "wannabees" and "instant tuff guys" [Harley]. Some I feel sorry for, as they seem to have been beaten very hard with an ugly stick. I agree with you that when it comes to the use of the ugly stick, most new BMW's have been wacked pretty hard, with the new R1200RT suffering the effects perhaps worse than most any bike I've seen in decades.

I think the Breva might have suffered an errant smack with that stick as well.

Ciao, Steve G.

62361[/snapback]

Hmm... well, I'm not taking it personally as you might suggest, I'm just curious to ask all the Guzzi owners for a more specific reason than just "it's ugly". Now I must admit, I have only been into motorcycles for like the last 3 years. Not much compared to everyone else here, so my feel for Guzzi history and what is proper for a motorcycle such as this is not quite as tuned :luigi: as say Mr. Roper, mdude or yourself. Besides, the most experience I have ever had with a Guzzi that had its engine running was one I just sat on in a dealership, just listening to the powerful exhaust rumble(2003 V11 Le Mans). Since I'm honestly seriously interested in getting this bike, price pending, I just want to hear from others about the nature of this bike. Besides, that same v11 might call my name sooner than I may think. :bike:

Guest AdamofKC

62370[/snapback]

Holy heck! I almost didn't even pay attention to today, lol. Thank GOD I have a 12 pack of Boulevard Beer waiting for me! Kansas City made, and imvho, the best beer I have ever tried.

Boulevard Brewery

Heh, maybe you can order some to see what I'm talking about.

(hehe, great response from someone who wants to be a pilot huh?)

sloshed pilots make for exciting journeys... :grin:

back to Breva: what I humbly think most Guzzists react to, is that the Breva isnt squarely aimed at the totally religious. Its mainstream. Smoothed out. Better in the flesh though. Hopefully it will sell, also to customers outside the fraternity, and MG will give us a roaring monster in return someday.

now...wheres my bottle opener...

Breva V1100 and V11 Sport - most of the replies have hit the nail squarely on the head. Being lucky enough to own both I can appreciate why some V11 owners don't like the new Breva - which is a 'roadster' rather than a 'sports' model.

In best road test stylee, marks out of 10 for both bikes:

Performance: Breva = 8. V11 = 10.

Style: Breva = 7. V11 = 10.

Comfort: Breva = 10. V11 = 7.

Design/function: Breva = 10. V11 = 6.

Quality/finish: Breva = 10. V11 = 6.

Character: Breva = 5. V11 = 10.

Garage-look-back-ability: Breva = 8. V11 = 15 (:D)

If I could only have one bike it would be the V11 Sport that I have now - it is raw and quirky (a bit like the Buell) and just has so much character.... :wub:

Guest AdamofKC

So, mdude you think the new Breva is more like a new-guzzisti hook 'n bait? In regards to that, I would have to agree. I had never thought of it in that respect, but then again, I am a moto-noob anyway.

I was considering to get the Breva 750 for my first bike, but the lack of a reasonably close dealership, having very little knowledge of Moto Guzzi at the time, finding a Breva and then justifying the $8k for my first bike seemed to be way to much for me. But since then, I'm kicking myself right now. I've already outgrown my Venox, yet I haven't even gotten 1/3 of the way done paying off the loan. Sigh...

Looks like it's time for another Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.... :bier:

Holy heck!  I almost didn't even pay attention to today, lol.  Thank GOD I have a 12 pack of Boulevard Beer waiting for me!  Kansas City made, and imvho, the best beer I have ever tried.

Boulevard Brewery

Heh, maybe you can order some to see what I'm talking about.

62384[/snapback]

Well Adam, I've sort of got dibs on the first red Breva 1100 to show up at the dealer in Wichita. My plan of delivery is to put all of the miles necessary for the first service on the bike in the first day and return the bike for service the second day and as soon as that is finished, head on home. Since Kansas City is about 200 miles from Wichita, maybe I should just head your way for the first leg, try out some of that beer, let you check out the big Breva and then head for Salina to see where I lived as a kid and then head back to Wichita. Today's the tenth of October, so we're looking at no more than three weeks before the end of the month and the Breva is supposed to be in dealers hands this month here in the USA. What do you think of that plan? If the delivery date slips much though, I'm going to be mighty torqued, I'm scheduled for a jazz cruise out of Galveston in early November (retirement trip) and the delivery date had damn well better be well before that!

Carl in Chandler, Oklahoma

Guest AdamofKC
Well Adam, I've sort of got dibs on the first red Breva 1100 to show up at the dealer in Wichita. My plan of delivery is to put all of the miles necessary for the first service on the bike in the first day and return the bike for service the second day and as soon as that is finished, head on home. Since Kansas City is about 200 miles from Wichita, maybe I should just head your way for the first leg, try out some of that beer, let you check out the big Breva and then head for Salina to see where I lived as a kid and then head back to  Wichita. Today's the tenth of October, so we're looking at no more than three weeks before the end of the month and the Breva is supposed to be in dealers hands this month here in the USA. What do you think of that plan? If the delivery date slips much though, I'm going to be mighty torqued, I'm scheduled for a jazz cruise out of Galveston in early November (retirement trip) and the delivery date had damn well better be well before that!

Carl in Chandler, Oklahoma

62399[/snapback]

Seriously!? Congrats and I would love to take a look at the Breva. Jackson Cycles in St. Joe isn't expecting their first one until around December. This make me feel all giddy inside despite the fact I'm probably only going to be able to look and no touchy, lol. But anyway, I'll PM you with my email so hopefully, if the Breva arrives on time, we can meet up someplace to brag, drink fine beer, and then go our own ways. Quite sober hopefully. The trouble is that I'm really only available for spare time during the weekends. I might be able to see it during the work week until around 2 to 2:30pm,that is when I have to leave for work. Hopefully, the weekend is when your trip is supposed to happen.

Seriously!?  Congrats and I would love to take a look at the Breva.  Jackson Cycles in St. Joe isn't expecting their first one until around December.  This make me feel all giddy inside despite the fact I'm probably only going to be able to look and no touchy, lol.  But anyway, I'll PM you with my email so hopefully, if the Breva arrives on time, we can meet up someplace to brag, drink fine beer, and then go our own ways.  Quite sober hopefully.  The trouble is that I'm really only available for spare time during the weekends.  I might be able to see it during the work week until around 2 to 2:30pm,that is when I have to leave for work.  Hopefully, the weekend is when your trip is supposed to happen.

62400[/snapback]

The advantage to being retired is the ability to set your schedule to anything that pleases you. Until the wife gets into the mix that is :P

62384[/snapback]

Wanna be a pilot? Better start drinking whisky.

P.S. Just so no one gets the vapours or the vapors, that is whisky without an 'e'. That would be Canadian or Scottish whisky. I am bilingual though and I also drink whiskey!!

Wanna be a pilot? Better start drinking whisky.

P.S. Just so no one gets the vapours or the vapors, that is whisky without an 'e'. That would be Canadian or Scottish whisky. I am bilingual though and I also drink whiskey!!

62441[/snapback]

There is ONLY one type of whiskey worth talking about young lad, and that is scotch, of the single malt variety of course!

Ciao, Steve G.

There is ONLY one type of whiskey worth talking about young lad, and that is scotch, of the single malt variety of course!

Ciao, Steve G.

62444[/snapback]

Oh aye! But you can not call Scotch whiskey!! It is whisky, my son!!