What's up with the Breva bashing?

Guest AdamofKC

Guest AdamofKC

After seeing the response of some of the fellow forum-goers on the topic of the new Breva 1100, I just thought to myself. What is up with all this bashing?

I personally think that it is a good looking bike, and personally, something that seems highly competative vs comparative bikes such as the BMW r1200rt(although the latter looks worse).

ABS, shaft drive, good touring capabilities (from what I can guess), heated hand-grips, gps, large gas tank, a fresh new look in relation to the cookie-cutter cruisers and touring bikes.

So, why don't most of you guys here like it?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdamofKC
Well I like it  :wub:. 3650 miles in 5 weeks ownership and no regrets  :mg:.

th_Breva29-08-05011a.jpg

62283[/snapback]

I can't wait for it to get to the States, but I am very curious as to the cost of this bike?

I'm making a guestimate of around $7500 UK? Or somewhere around $11k US?

I wasn't too bothered about it when I first saw some photos of it( condemnation in itself?) but when I saw it at a rally, I thought it was the ugliest guz made to date.

I like a bike with style, not a bike with styling.

Hopefully I will be in a minority and it will make MG's fortune, but since it looks bastard ugly IMHO ,I doubt it.

Baldini rode it and reckons it's better dynamically than the V11, and there are some nice touches, but I just dont see me ever looking at one in the shed just for the pleasure it brings me, esp compared to my V11. :2c:

I think the Breva will fill a strong nitch with the sport touring customer who wants to ride a Guzzi, but is not satisfied with the two-up capabilities of the LeMans nor the California. I personally would buy one if I was looking for a sport tourer.

I've ridden one and its a good bike- hopefully what Guzzi need financially because its been a good seller at my local dealer Moto Strada.

Including Chris's bike he had sold 7 Breva 1100s within a few weeks.

Probabaly a better tourer than a V11 but for me it just does not have the character and spunk of a V11.

Guy :helmet:

Guest Nogbad
Adam, what do you expect from this V11 diehard board?  :D

62303[/snapback]

The point about the V11 is that its cranky and demanding to ride. That's why we like it, apart from its being one of the best looking bikes ever designed, without trying too hard with bling bling plastic.

The Breva is probably a very functional bike, but it just may be too anodyne for many.

Adam, what do you expect from this V11 diehard board?  :D

I think it's a good bike, but it doesn't have enough sex appeal for me.

The MGS or Griso however...  :food:

62303[/snapback]

I've got my Scura for fun - I got my MGS01 for a different sort of fun - I got my Breva 1100 for yet another sort of fun. There isn't a single bike that would match my every mood, and I'm expecting to develop new moods as long as Guzzi develops new bikes.

Yes! We are all individuals.

62336[/snapback]

V.ELEVENERS:

Yes, we're all individuals!

BRIAN:

You're all different!

V.ELEVENERS:

Yes, we are all different!

DENNIS:

I'm not.

Just read a brief review of the Breva 11 in Australian Motorcycle News and they seem to of managed to do the usual 'Damning with faint praise' job on it. Yes, it's a huge step forward for Guzzi, (Who are still owned by Aprilia according to this herald for the 4th estate. :bbblll: ) but it's a 'Gentleman's Tourer', ie, it's slow and would only be owned by people who wanted a 'cruiser'. At least thats what the message seemed to be to me but I read the article in the newsagent as I refuse to buy this sort of rubbish.

Look, the Breva isn't for me. I sat on one and it just wasn't a *me* sort of bike, it felt too much like one of those horrible oilhead bimmers that I hate with a vengeance and I don't like the styling. The thing is it will apeal to lots of folks and that is a good thing. For me though the Griso is the one. Not so much because I'm wild about the styling but because it is pretty much a blank canvas onto which can be projcted the owners personality. It's a machine that BEGS to be modified and customised which is precisely what will be happening to mine. Not immediately, but over a period of years. Like all Guzzis since the dawn of time it appears comparatively simple which means that it'll be easy enough, and cheap enough, to swap, modify and fart about with. Talking with Cliff he reckons the Breva's computer is a right sod to get at. As he also pointed out it would be easy enough to just build a suitable loom to plug into the sensors so you can use an alternative re-located to a more sensible and accessible place. There's the tuning options sorted so you can then get on with the hardware, mechanics and styling! Most of the engine is still essentialy the same as before so a lot of the aftermarket bits produced for earlier models will probably be easily adaptable to the Griso/Breva motor and there is bound to be a hard-core of serious Guzzi tuning nutters who will produce stuff that will be model specific too. Personally, apart from piping mine up and sorting out a more flexible ECU so I can compensate easily for any further changes I doubt I'll do that much to it mechanically. 80 BHP is plenty for me and it's so much more fun, (IMHO.) to drag *extra* out of the older engines which are also a whole lot easier to work on as well.

Each to their own though, it's not compulsory to like the Breva any more than it is to like anything else in the motorbike field, (Or virtually any other field of human endeavor either!). I personally have never wanted to own a V11 particularly, even though I think they are a nice looking and fun motorbike. While this is probably seen as heresy that will have me banned and chased by howling hordes of V11 owners brandishing flaming torches and calling for my head I don't see it as really an issue, they are a happy thing, just not *my* sort of happy thing :2c:

Pete

Guest AdamofKC
V.ELEVENERS:

Yes, we're all individuals!

BRIAN:

You're all different!

V.ELEVENERS:

Yes, we are all different!

DENNIS:

I'm not.

62344[/snapback]

BRIAN:

Then what are you complaining about? See?

Something in life are bad. They can really make you mad! Sometimes you can swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle! And everything will turn out for the best! Always look on the bright side of life!