What's up with the Breva bashing?

Guest AdamofKC

Guest AdamofKC

Soo... Jack Daniels doesn't count? And neither St. Brendan's Irish Creme?

I shed a tear.... :(

Anyway, back to the Breva stuff...

Well Carl, I don't want to impose on your retirement. So if it is most convenient for you to go your own way, that is cool. I do have a fall-back plan just in case :D

And for all of those out there thinking I must be nocturnal, I just off from work like 30 minutes ago. And the ride was very chilling. Around 20 F degrees going around 55 mph.

Time to cuddle up with my chips and beer.......

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo... Jack Daniels doesn't count?  And neither St. Brendan's Irish Creme?

I shed a tear.... :(

62449[/snapback]

Well now! Who said that? JD and St. Brendans are all just fine!

As far as Breva stuff goes, well all I can say is this:

The Breva seems like a great bike. Maybe when there are enough of them that we can all take one for a ride we can all have an objective opinion. For now it seems all we can do (here in north america at least) is make a lot of assumptions. I love making assumptions but I try not to take them past the level of the bar I was in when I made them (and I frequent some pretty low level bars). I want to see the Breva 1100 and the Griso in the flesh but until then I can not say anything objective about either one. I guess this does not help answer your question very much but this is the best you will get from me!

Cheers

Jim

Maybe when there are enough of them that we can all take one for a ride we can all have an objective opinion.

62452[/snapback]

NO, no, no: surely that's not the point here? :huh:

Objectively, we can probably say that the thing rides just dandy (from all reports). Most of the reaction is about the look – and that is a big part of what will sell/not sell the Griso as well (given that both ride well etc).

Subjectively, some like the look and some don't. Some like the look of both the V.11 and the Breva: Chris J can choose whether he looks at the green meanie or the blousey breva, depending upon his mood.

I wouldn't mind a Breva for touring about on, if Santa gave me one, and it was all smothered in panniers and tank bag.

I wouldn't mind a Griso, which I think looks better and imagine will perform better and feel better. I wouldn't get a Griso at the expense of the V.11 and even if I had the money for both, I'm not sure that the Griso is different enough from the V.11 to justify both. When would you use one instead of the other? It's not different from the V.11 in the sense that a Quota or some sort of Gelände/Strasse is.

There were some reports before the summer, but does anyone know any more, anything more definite, about what else is coming down the MG pipeline?

______

EDIT maybe you didn't mean just how it rides – you probably meant geting the opportunity to assess how it looks 'in the flesh' as well.

EDIT 2 about the 'look'. As soon as I saw the original add for the 'new' V.11, gorgeous green real-style motorbike, I loved it. Never dreamed I would actually have one. Breva doesn't do that. Griso does 80%ish

Well Carl, I don't want to impose on your retirement.  So if it is most convenient for you to go your own way, that is cool.  I do have a fall-back plan just in case :D

62449[/snapback]

Ah, but that's the beauty of it, I can just arrange my schedule to coincide with yours!

As for beer, the only truly great beer I've ever run across in the USA is the house porter at the Independence Pub and Grill in Philadelphia. There a bunch of good beers here (maybe not by international standards though) but for my money, that's the only truly great one. So I'll have to give your favorite a try since it's a bit too far to go to Philadelphia just for a beer.

Oh aye! But you can not call Scotch whiskey!! It is whisky, my son!!

62446[/snapback]

Aye Jimmy,

As former member of the Scotch Connessures Assoc, I stand corrected on my messy spelling of whisky.

Beer on the other hand is near as much a passion of mine as 'the motorcycle'. It can be said that the term beer is at best a generic term describing water based liquid made from barely or rice malt, with sugars fermented to alcohol from yeast, and allowing for various amounts of flavour additions, with the most noteworthy being hops. Various styles have been spawned over the generations, with probably the most popular being lager, made from a bottom fermenting yeast, and a wider family of "beers" based on top fermenting 'ale' yeast. This family has under it's umbrella stout, bitter, scotch ale, pale ale, porter, and among others, my all time favourite, IPA, named after a drink and name made popular by the English Navy during the colonization of India. India Pale Ale, was a pale ale custom made for the troops in India, made with overabundance of hops [mostly South Kent], this hop additive acted as a preservative during the long voyages by ships from the old country. Hence the birth of a new type of beer, IPA.

The search of the best IPS has taken my all across England, Scotland and Wales, and North America. I consider myself lucky to live near the best IPA's, perhaps the best made 'beer' in the world. The state of Oregon in particular, has cottage brewers and in house brew public houses which easily are a match for anything I've tracked down. This area is certainly the best place to find the best IPA's, absolutely no question. Two years ago, 6 of us took it upon ourselves to travel, by motorcycle [me on V11] to Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Montana, and Nevada, to test only IPA's, using test sheets used when I enter home made beers for competion in testing contests. A 2 week tour of serious merit, started with a clear view. This made it very clear the lofty status Oregon now enjoys. The best IPA in the western states clearly is Continental King IPA, made at Steelhead Brewing in Eugene, Oregon. Close second is Terminal Gravity IPA in Enterprise Oregon.

Of course riding there is always better than taking the cage.

Ciao, Steve G.

Of course riding there is always better than taking the cage.

62506[/snapback]

But riding back may get you locked up in a cage :doh:

But a micro-brewery tour through the North West sounds like a blast!!!

It can be said that the term beer is at best a generic term describing water based liquid made from barely or rice malt,

62506[/snapback]

I am sure you will agree that, beverages billed as beer, made from fermented corn and rice malt and traces of barley, really should be refered to as pisswater, rather than beer.

Are there any good IPAs made with rice malt?

Certainly there are some tolerable wheat beers, but most cannot compare to barley brewed beverages.

And slightly off topic:

Has anyone tried the 48proof Utopias?

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/...eak20020214.php

Guest AdamofKC

I am sure you will agree that, beverages billed as beer, made from fermented corn and rice malt and traces of barley, really should be refered to as pisswater, rather than beer.

Certainly there are some tolerable wheat beers, but most cannot compare to barley brewed beverages.

And slightly off topic:

62510[/snapback]

Boulevard actually makes a very good wheat beer. It is actually my favorite type of beer they make, with the Pale Ale coming in at a modest second. I didn't care much for the Bully! Porter they also make, but that is my own personal tastes.

Speaking of which.....

(ssssfft...pop!)

Ahhh.... nothing like a cool, refreshing, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer for melting away the days stress..... aahhhhhhhh

Oh damn, what was this topic about? Ahh yes, the Breva. I know this might have been answered, but is there anything special about the new Shaft Drive system MG is using for the Breva? What is this new "CA.R.C System" supposed to do?

Guest AdamofKC
Ah, but that's the beauty of it, I can just arrange my schedule to coincide with yours!

As for beer, the only truly great beer I've ever run across in the USA is the house porter at the Independence Pub and Grill in Philadelphia. There a bunch of good beers here (maybe not by international standards though) but for my money, that's the only truly great one. So I'll have to give  your favorite a try since it's a bit too far to go to Philadelphia just for a beer.

62486[/snapback]

So generous, thanks Carl! Screw the single bottle, I'll get you a six pack to take home and share with the misses.

And slightly off topic:

62510[/snapback]

I agree totally, rice is a poor compromise compared to barley, with Budweiser as a perfect example. I only use crap like that to marinate tough meat. There are some interesting rice based product out of Japan, but really they don't impress my taste buds. I will refer to the Reinheitsgebot [bavarian purity law of 1516] as the start of the birth of the proper beer.

P.S. The tour we did to find the IPA's, was made all the more enjoyable by the fact we always parked our machines at the end of the day before sampling.

Ciao, Steve G.

the French market in Huddersfield today

62521[/snapback]

Are you sure you know how to use that sat-nav thing?

I only use crap like that to marinate tough meat.

62547[/snapback]

Try using papaya. It has an enzyme in it that will tenderize any protein.

I will refer to the Reinheitsgebot [bavarian purity law of 1516] as the start of the birth of the proper beer.

:notworthy: