Silver Engine Paint

Dr Gil

I'm sure that this must have been discussed before but I'm not finding anything with searches. :huh2:

Some of the silver (what? an engine paint thread that's not about "bubbling black?") on my engine cylinder's fins is flaking away and looking a bit scruffy. I'd like to touch it up and am hoping someone here has had luck matching the color. Any suggestions?

I wasn't aware that the cylinders were painted. I thought it was raw aluminum.

You might try a high-heat exhaust paint...sorry- I don't have much more of a suggestion than that. Well, one suggestion- if you try some paints looking for a match, use a scrap piece of aluminum as a test piece- see how well it mimics the original color.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that PJ1 Silver Engine and Case paint is damn near dead-on.

http://tinyurl.com/zoexl

This stuff was recommended to my mechanic by Mike Rich. I just had it refinished a few weeks ago, and it looks very good.

Some of the silver (what? an engine paint thread that's not about "bubbling black?") on my engine cylinder's fins is flaking away and looking a bit scruffy. I'd like to touch it up and am hoping someone here has had luck matching the color. Any suggestions?

:stupid:

Also on how to get rid of the existing flaky paint? Paintremover + steelbrush? Or completely remove the cylinders for sand / pearl blast?

Yes, I'm interested in doing it right also so any tips on how to remove, touch up, etc would be appreciated (I really, really don't want to remove the cylinders though) would be appreciated.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that PJ1 Silver Engine and Case paint is damn near dead-on.

http://tinyurl.com/zoexl

This stuff was recommended to my mechanic by Mike Rich. I just had it refinished a few weeks ago, and it looks very good.

Thanks for the tip and link Mr. Tucker...I followed your link and ordered a can. Much appreciated...except for my usual bitch about Dennis Kirk, ordering an $8 item and having a $7 shipping and handling fee...sigh. :bbblll:

• 11 years later...

I used VHT Nu-Cast Aluminum on the rear case of the transmission and the output shaft collar. The balance of transmission and engine are original color. 

IMG_6528.jpg

It's quite close, but seems to be a bit brighter and have a little more sparkle.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, Scud said:
I used VHT Nu-Cast Aluminum on the rear case of the transmission and the output shaft collar. The balance of transmission and engine are original color. 

IMG_6528.jpg

It's quite close, but seems to be a bit brighter and have a little more sparkle.

Thanks @Scud! I've searched a long time for engine paint to my Greenie, and there it was! Great. It looks close enough to me. My oil pan is being glass bead blasted these days, so good to know what paint to use.

I recently picked up some of the same paint Scud mentioned and refreshed the Sump pan...matched well and turned out very satisfactory imo.

13 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

I recently picked up some of the same paint Scud mentioned and refreshed the Sump pan...matched well and turned out very satisfactory imo.

I’m thinking that is your RedFrame in Scud’s image. In that case, your sump should match the gearbox rather swimmingly!