Dark Days for Guzzi?

v50man

Gents --

For six or eight months now, my Guzzi has been a bit "slow" to start. She felt like she was laboring -- the process took entirely too long -- and I knew something wasn't quite right.

Decided to take her to work this morning, and even with a brand new Hawker Odyssey and a full complement of new relays, the start process was wonky at best. Sketchy -- unbalanced -- just not right.

So, I stuffed her back into the garage and fired up the Buell. Had a beautiful ride to the office, but was upset as I had REALLY wanted to ride the Guzzi.

When the hour of their opening arrived, I phoned the maintenance department of my dealer, Atlanta Triumph-Ducati and explained that I was having this problem -- that the bike was still under warranty -- and that I needed it addressed PRONTO as the Fall riding season in ATL is the best.

The tech told me that they'd been having serious problems with Guzzi/Piaggio. Parts were scarce and phone calls were not returned. They were not being paid for much 0f their warranty work. It'd probably be AT LEAST THREE or FOUR weeks 'til they could help me out.

In shock, I simply agreed quietly and hung up.

Thought about it for a minute, and then rode the Buell over to the dealership (only five minutes away) and hunted down the owner (who sold me the bike new in January 2005). He concurred with the tech about the problems with Guzzi, but did not make the prohblem mine. When could I get the bike in for the service techs to have a look?

Howzabout a half hour, I responded -- and rode home to get the Guzzi.

Got her started and got to the dealer -- straight to the front of the queue.

Two techs -- one who happened to be in the shop from Guzzi corporate performed a bunch of tests on the bike and decided that indeed it was a bad starter motor -- covered under warranty.

Just as he was finishing his tests, the Guzzi tech tried again to start the bike -- and there was NOTHING.

Yeah, I can leave the bike here. I'll call The Redhead and have her come pick me up.

There was about a half-hour lag between my call to her and the actual arrival of The Redhead, so I hung out in the showroom drooling on MV Agustas and shooting the shit with the parts guys.

An older doctor -- ex-BMW guy -- was talking with Jason (the owner) about buying a new bike. He liked the Triumph Rocket monster bike -- and was leering at a couple of 1100 Brevas.

He was told -- straight out -- that while, yes, they were extraordinary bikes -- he could not guarantee that if something went wrong and he needed a part that he wouldn't be strung out for six months. Sad but true, as he was paying interest for the bikie to be on his sales floor.

Ergo, he was refusing delivery of Grisos until the situation with Piaggio was cleaned up.

My dealer and I have history together, and my problem will be solved. Guzzi puzzles me, however.

An otherwise brilliant and creative concern, it seems to me they're always crashing in the same car. Pity.

v50

(riding my Buell 'til Guzzi gets it together -- and not complaining one bit)

mountainbuell_copy.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't even tell the half of it.

Nevertheless, the good dealers have always known how to work around Guzzi. If, for example, Guzzi says they are out of the starters, I can get him one for half of what Guzzi charges. He can then do the warranty paperwork as if he'd bought it from Guzzi, making more than the usual, paltry profit. ATD has bought parts from me before, and will again. They know the score. It's always a game with the Italians (Guzzi, Aprilia, or Piaggio, no difference). You just gotta learn to play it better than they do.

Greg --

A point well taken.

Please understand that I am a HUGE fan of my dealer. They've been exceedingly fair and honest with me through the years, and I will certainly buy more bikes from them in future.

It may well be an Italian thing, but I hear no such complaints about Ducati. I'm just saddened that the Piaggio takeover was not all I had hoped for.

Thanks for the insight.

v50

I share v50's positive view of ATD. I treat them well (Kathi is worried too well, and possibly soon, again; that new gray Breva 1100 calls to me :bike: ).

Also, Robert Lockhart (owns an all-yellow Cali Special, which, I think, is the only Cali that eclipses my HDM EV in beauty :P ) and I had a long talk with Jason there, and he pretty much said what v50 posted. They've cancelled all orders this year and stopped all Guzzi warranty work (except for "special cases," read v50 ;) ).

I can't blame 'em, but regret it. They have been straight-up with me, and I presume they have been reputable and business-like with Piaggio. Heck, I still hope to buy a (red) Norge from 'em. If not, I'm flying to Seattle or Houston. :mg:

I can only speak for myself, but the guzzi warranty was inconsequential in my decision to buy my LeMans. If I was to guess, I would probably say that is a true statement for about 90% of all V11/guzzi owners. The bike's value and satisfaction of ownership quotient simply transcends the promise of a warranty. I can see how a dealer would not feel the same way, however. It is nothing short of embarrassing to have to admit to a potential buyer that the 2-year warranty is probably not worth the paper it is written on. But as Greg points out, there are ways around the problem. As long as the parts are available, the repairs can be completed, and us guzzi owners will foot the bill, but with a satisfied smile on our mugs. :rasta:

Greg is correct.

Parts are still Guzzi's #1 problem.

Warranty payment I hear as a complaint, but in our

experience, it is not an issue.

I've been paid for 2 California clutch claims. No parts, however :angry:

Ditto 2 fuel tanks.

Approvals are obtained 99% of the time.

Credits have been on time.

Is it as much $$ as we want-- Hell no!

There are ways to work around these things.

We do warranty for a 5 state area,

on a whole slew of bikes we didn't sell.

Hopefully, those folks remember when it's time for a new one.

Or, they call the discount dog... :bbblll:

Guest Mattress

Greg is correct.

Parts are still Guzzi's #1 problem.

Warranty payment I hear as a complaint, but in our

experience, it is not an issue.

I've been paid for 2 California clutch claims. No parts, however :angry:

Ditto 2 fuel tanks.

Approvals are obtained 99% of the time.

Credits have been on time.

Is it as much $$ as we want-- Hell no!

There are ways to work around these things.

We do warranty for a 5 state area,

on a whole slew of bikes we didn't sell.

Hopefully, those folks remember when it's time for a new one.

Or, they call the discount dog... :bbblll:

If I have a warped front rotor, what is the chance I can get some of it covered under warranty?

Well, I've posted a few times before about not being able to get parts that were ordered under warranty from the UK dealer where I bought the bike. These are the most basic of parts and I've knocked-up an alternative, so it's not a life or death issue: I've just been persuing it as a matter of principle – a matter of warranty to which I am due.

It is now a full year since these parts were ordered and I still don't have them.

I've been chasing the dealer with no success. They say that one of the parts has never been sent from Italy blah blah blah and eventually I said to send the parts that they did have anyway – but there has been no further response at all.

At the beginning I asked other UK MG dealers to get the parts and they could have claimed the warranty work payment (I would fit the parts myself). The other dealers wouldn't do it and said I would have to go through the original dealer. I gathered that they had tightened up, from general frustration.

The message that keeps recurring in this Forum is: don't count on the MG warranty; reckon on having to source parts rather than automatically be able to get them through your original dealer; it's best if you can do your own maintenance; you may have to bodge, fiddle and 'make do'.

Well, I've posted a few times before about not being able to get parts that were ordered under warranty from the UK dealer where I bought the bike. These are the most basic of parts and I've knocked-up an alternative, so it's not a life or death issue: I've just been persuing it as a matter of principle – a matter of warranty to which I am due.

It is now a full year since these parts were ordered and I still don't have them.

I've been chasing the dealer with no success. They say that one of the parts has never been sent from Italy blah blah blah and eventually I said to send the parts that they did have anyway – but there has been no further response at all.

At the beginning I asked other UK MG dealers to get the parts and they could have claimed the warranty work payment (I would fit the parts myself). The other dealers wouldn't do it and said I would have to go through the original dealer. I gathered that they had tightened up, from general frustration.

The message that keeps recurring in this Forum is: don't count on the MG warranty; reckon on having to source parts rather than automatically be able to get them through your original dealer; it's best if you can do your own maintenance; you may have to bodge, fiddle and 'make do'.

Try these fellas for parts.....

They are knowledgeable, helpful and their prices ain't bad either.

http://www.motostrada.co.uk/

Nige. B)

Try these fellas for parts.....

They are knowledgeable, helpful and their prices ain't bad either.

http://www.motostrada.co.uk/

Nige. B)

Jason at Motostrada is excellent- really committed to the marque.

He has done all my warranty claims with no quibble whatsoever (including a warped disc!).

Guy :helmet:

Hard to say exactly what is going on with Guzzi USA, but the appearance is that they are purposefully and intentionally screwing all their old dealers while at the time seeking out new dealers who don’t have any history dealing with Guzzi. If that indeed is what is happening then what a lousy business tactic.

Hard to say exactly what is going on with Guzzi USA, but the appearance is that they are purposefully and intentionally screwing all their old dealers while at the time seeking out new dealers who don’t have any history dealing with Guzzi. If that indeed is what is happening then what a lousy business tactic.

Nonsense! :bbblll:

Mention this at Valley Moto Guzzi in Chilliwack and I doubt they will say nonsense!!

Nonsense! :bbblll:

From my experience here, I'd have to agree with Greg. They've treated a local dealer like shit recently, and took their dealer status away after spitting on them. Not sure if this decision is from Piaggio direct, or the idiots at Scooter Canada, the new importer, but it's happening.

Ciao, Steve G.