What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

That's stunning! And singles are cool. German bikes are cool. A motorbike from a place called "Zschopau?" That's extra cool.

Motorrad- und Zweiradwerk !

Thanks. I found it apart, unloved, etc. Cheap. (Guzzi content)  :mg:  I'd never seen one before, much less ridden one. I'd heard of their reputation, though, and thought it would be a good bike to leave out by the ocean to rust and corrode instead of the Mighty Scura.  :whistle:  I bonded with it chasing Scud up and down Polomar mountain last fall.  :grin: After a change to Continental Sport Attack 3s this trip out.. youza. It's a much better bike than I am a rider. 

Just the same, I'd rather have the Monza out in the canyons.. but I'd be back to worrying about rust and corrosion..

This weekend was spent spannering on the Le Mans, new discs and pads all round along with a new back tyre and the indicators seem to have slowed down so a new relay is on order.

The front disc bolts - what were they thinking of :o ? A 5mm hex key on an 8mm bolt that was torqued up with loctite 16 years ago. I destroyed every one, 12 in all, to get the front discs off and the new bolts I ordered still haven't arrived.

Good thing I enjoy playing with spanners :)

• Like 1

Now that is interesting, I recently pulled the discs off my 04 sport to have the wheels powder coated (scratched by prev owner) and the front discs were secured by hex head bolts which made getting them out a doddle. The rear however had the same allen socket head bolts made of cheese that you have and I also destroyed every single one. I also destroyed the little allen socket head bolts that retain the Cush drive cover. Grrrrrrrr.

New bolts order ready for when I eventually get the wheels back and I’m actually thinking of forgoing the loctite and putting copaslip on them, then torque marking the heads with paint so I can keep an eye on them. What do folks think about this idea?

• Like 1

I would stick with Loctite. Heat is the answer with any bolt that is secured with loctite. A large soldering iron or a small butane torch will soften the loctite. I use one of those soldering irons with the loop of thick wire that glows red hot. Apply for about thirty seconds.

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker/

Sorry I did'nt see you starting your job in my crystal ball as I may have been able to save you some grief, must get it polished.

• Like 3

The rear disc bolts came out fine, I was very gentle when loading up the torque on them. The front ones were just seized up. I see that these bolts were upgraded for the later models, so I will up spec to those.

I also thought about using copper slip, then another thought reminded me that these are the brakes and if they say loctite in the book there could be a reason and they certainly know more about it than I do . . .

I learned the hard way on those button bolts - heat first. If you destroy one, drilling out the head introduces enough heat to soften the loctite. It's a good idea to use new bolts (and loctite) every time you install rotors.  Those bolt have an important job to do and they should stay put for many miles.

• Like 2

Could be worse. Somebody (I'm not namin' names, but his initials are S-c-u-d) could be posting pictures taken today from some luscious SoCal valley.

Well... it's so cold here today that my orchid tree is blooming. I made the Champagne LeMans watch while the Ducati ST3 got some love - and a probable buyer came to inspect the K75s. Seems the wee brick might have a new home at the start of February when the guy comes back with cash. I guess it's my job to wear out the tires as much as possible before then.

IMG_7438.jpg

Here are some observations about the ST3 compared to the V11:

• I like the steel gas tank with the rear hinge and the little prop-bar. It's like opening the hood on a car... and the air filter is right there, super-easy compared to accessing the air filter on the V11. 
  • New chain and sprockets... Gosh, over $200 for all that - but I got quality stuff, like DID gold chain and steel sprockets. It's cool to be able to change the drive ratio - which is exceptionally difficult with a shaft drive bike. Hopefully that will last for 20,000 miles. A bevel box might be heavy, but they are generally durable and inexpensive to operate.
  • Clutch - this ST3 has a dry clutch, which I was able to inspect after removing 4 small hex bolts and a cover - compared to a whole day to look at the V11 clutch. Of course, with a vented cover, you can inspect the clutch any time you want. But then it makes weird noises... oh yeah... I'll probably have to get a vented cover.
  • Fairing - 6 peices -  a fair bit more work than removing a V11 LeMans fairing. I bought a set of new stainless bolts and well nuts for the complete fairing and dash... I think it's about a pound and a half. That ought to hold it on.
  • Sidestand = bracket, stand, spring. That's it. What were they thinking? You need way more parts to make a decent sidestand.
  • I'm liking the Duc. I might miss the wee brick a little, but as a the brick's likely new owner said: "that's a helluva consolation prize." 

This is making me snarky . . .

> Tanks that just *prop up* revealing all the delicate bits? Makes me snarky. :angry2:

> Chains and sprockets while I wait another week. Or two. Or three for the one bolt I need the reattach the shaft? Snarky. :angry2:

> Clutch under a side cover? My V11 looked like an exploded view in 3D.  Snarkier & snarkier . . . :angry2:  :angry2:

> Fairing? By fairing", you mean this bike is wearing layers of clothes? Oh, I feel less snarky already. My Sport barely wears anything at all.

*Just enough* to keep things "interesting" B)

> Sidestands? Me and Rube Goldberg go way back (that V11 stand: Oh, my!), but I've seen some Ducati (sui)side stands that were snarky in their own right. :huh:

> That is a terrific bike, that Ducati!  An awesome and interesting comparison to the V11! :thumbsup:

I think I'm not going to be feeling the love when she needs new cam drive belts (recommended new belts every 12,000 miles). There's a lot of crap in the way before you can get to those (on right side of bike, and not pictured). I like the cam chain in the V11 - or better yet, the gears in earlier Guzzi engines.  The Duc is leaking some coolant - so she's gonna sit and wait for new hoses.

Doc - I'm pretty sure I have some of those special pinch bolts in a spare driveshaft - or at least I could pull one out of the champagne LeMans for you. You just need one?  Is that all that's keeping her down right now?

• Like 1

Well . . . le'see: I'm calling Harper's in the next couple days to see if they ever were able to get them. My order with MI is in it's final throes, but they did tell me they got "one" of them. Second: "back ordered."

So, if Harper's really doesn't have them, I'll book a flight to Seattle, rent a Bentley, and have it chauffeured to MI to pick up the bolt since they have a $10 minimum order.

Dang. There's that snarky thing coming out again! :rolleyes:

Rear tire installed, valves adjusted (we'll see just how re-usable those elastomeric gaskets really are), and front wheel off for a new tire. Interesting process for axle removal (type I per the manual). Glad I had a 30mm socket and found that the steel bar in the tool kit which I presumed went thru the holes in the axle to worry it out was way too large.

Went a bit anal on the washers used on the two middle bolts going thru the head guards. Their OD wouldn't quite fit. Mr. Dremel to the rescue.....

• Like 1

Today was meant to be sump-flange-removal-day. As i looked around the garage i realised how dusty and untidy it was. Can’t perform internal surgury in these conditions, so a mega spring clean was initiated. (Only) 4 hours later and i’m ready to fire her up and warm the oil for draining- clik! Ah, flat battery. Figures.

Tomorrow is sump-flange-removal- day!