Prepurchase questions from a Guzzi neophyte.

BMEPdoc

Centauro have the earlier (pre-V11) spine frame of the 1100Sport? That's a little longer and lazier along with how the 5speeder positions the engine.

That "polar moment of inertia" thing and all . . . :nerd::whistle:

Speaking of Dr. John's 4V motor. A long time associate ended up with this just after these pics were taken upon parting with upwards of $30K if memory serves me correctly. I was given the opportunity to take as many laps as I wanted at buttonwillow. At the time I had an HP2 sport boxer - much to my surprise and his chagrin, I was running lap times almost a half second faster, this with him being the more capable pilot. I ended up passing on the opportunity as I was physically beat but did give him my bike to take out for a few laps. He conceded: "I see why you were quicker - this thing flat hauls butt". He did however complain of poor mapping and lurching on his machine. It sure was beautiful though and between our 2 bikes parked side by side in the paddock - a lot of oohs and ahhs ensued.

-doc

Ricks Guzzi MGS-01.jpg after purchase.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Aprilia Mille front end on my 2001 V11 Sport and am extremely happy with the resulting handling and adjustability.  I love this bike and also my Africa Twin for very different reasons.

Bob

• Like 1

Found it and now mine. A low mileage exceptionally well kept example. Very pleased - Additional photos coming.

MG V11 Sport - Day of Purchase.jpg

• Like 3

Found it and now mine. A low mileage exceptionally well kept example. Very pleased - Additional photos coming.

Looks sweet, man! Welldone! :thumbsup:

Thank you sir. That photo does it no justice. I'll post a couple more showing the overall cleanliness. A one owner machine from new owned by an ex Honda and Raytheon ME who kept extremely detailed records/notes from day one. A considerable amount of additional ephemera came with it.

-doc     

A considerable amount of additional ephemera came with it.

Do tell... what matter of ephemera? Marketing literature? Impulse purchases? Bits and baubles? Special tools?

A little bit of all of the above. Carlin would've referred to it as 'stuff'. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. In the meantime, anyone know if the windscreen for this flyscreen sportfairing (?) - is still available?

MG V11 Sport - Carbon Flyscreen.jpg

MG V11 Sport - Carbon Flyscreen II..jpg

A little bit of all of the above. Carlin would've referred to it as 'stuff'.

Have you ever noticed that your shit is stuff, but other people's stuff is shit?  Carlin was so brilliant.

What a great thread.

Was at western N.Y. rally yesterday.

Saw a red Ballabio. Made me almost ache for my old one.

But at risk of being banned, I think an 8v Griso would scratch more of the OP's professed itches than any V11.

1921!

Bill

It is a great suggestion Bill...having both a Griso and Scura, along with the Norge allows for regular comparisons. There is something very unique and pleasing about riding both the 2015 Griso and 2002 Scura but I would say the biggest difference is the ease with which the Scura drops into turns with minimal effort, it’s a point and shoot bike and goes intuitively where you want it to go, absolutely confidence inspiring in the twisties. The fairing on the Scura is absolutely perfect, perfect quiet air, no head buffeting and the riding position is surprisingly comfortable for long distances.

Now the Griso is a much more muscular ride, sitting a bit more upright, and has power to spare way beyond what is needed for casual riding, and lopes along with ease, a bit like a thoroughbred, it seems to have two modes...casual and beast mode.

Both bikes are absolutely amazing machines...the biggest issue is drawing straws in the garage to figure out which one to ride. If you get a Scura you’ll want to get the single plate clutch fixed, fit a Roper plate, get an upgraded fuel line and do all of the little suggested fixes, more than enough  tasks to keep you busy in the garage when you can’t sleep!

The riding experience of both is not to be missed...

P.D.  Carlin was pure genius!!  Have to agree!

• Like 2

In the meantime, anyone know if the windscreen for this flyscreen sportfairing (?) - is still available?

Harpers has a great website, and shows the windsreen for the 2002 model. Not sure what you have on there.

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/naked-windshield-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

Outstanding! - Thank you fellas! 

It appears to be a factory carbon item:

MG V11 Sport - Carbon Flyscreen. part number. jpg..jpg

The Parts "Fiche" for the 1999-2001 V11 shows this windshield assembly GU01977240 on page 04.  It would be for the Rosso Mandello (not the fiberglass Stucchi accessory that was available, color matched, for the early green, silver, and black sports).

Nice piece, and the genuine article! :thumbsup: