Prepurchase questions from a Guzzi neophyte.

BMEPdoc

The real answer is to find one and ride it. You’ll know immediately if it’s the bike for you.

Hmm, but then again you bought a ‘Busa... interestingly enough it stole the tail section from a V11 Sport.

I did. It was one, if not THE dumbest moves I ever made eclipsed only by the trading in of my Lotus Cortina Mk 2 + $3k for a then new Chevy Cosworth Twin Cam Vega. Hindsight is not always 20/20 as evidenced by this bonehead move.

Hard to justify BUT - this follows what I alluded to in my post above. I had read in a couple of respected publications as well as (I believe it was pashnit) that when fitted with soft panniers, they made for a powerful and rewarding long distance tourer!

I know I know I know.

-doc 

The real answer is to find one and ride it. You’ll know immediately if it’s the bike for you.

Hmm, but then again you bought a ‘Busa... interestingly enough it stole the tail section from a V11 Sport.

Ew. :bbblll:

Origins of the Marabese designed V11 tail section (and tank): Gambalunghino racer c. 1949-1952:

1+moto-guzzi-Gambalungino-1950-Rot165_32

motorbike74284.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not so sure of that. A Guzzi is definitely an acquired taste. It took me about 5K miles before I "bonded" with my Centauro. More than one have told me that they bought a Guzzi, and were riding home thinking, "What have I done??" After a period of acclimatization, it becomes, "They'll pry this Guzzi from my cold dead fingers.."  :)  :rasta:

• Like 2

Some folks enjoy the analysis. I get it. I rely on passion for passionate pursuits. I got it wrong a couple times. No more than yourself. Knowing a little about MG history and zero about the V11 Sport/LM (didn't know of them) , it was love at first sight in '02. "yup, that's me" I was right.

I'm not so sure of that. A Guzzi is definitely an acquired taste. It took me about 5K miles before I "bonded" with my Centauro. More than one have told me that they bought a Guzzi, and were riding home thinking, "What have I done??" After a period of acclimatization, it becomes, "They'll pry this Guzzi from my cold dead fingers.." :):rasta:

I suspect the Centauro is more of an acquired taste that the V11 Sport.

I'm not so sure of that. A Guzzi is definitely an acquired taste. It took me about 5K miles before I "bonded" with my Centauro. More than one have told me that they bought a Guzzi, and were riding home thinking, "What have I done??" After a period of acclimatization, it becomes, "They'll pry this Guzzi from my cold dead fingers.." :):rasta:

They are more similar than different..

That's another Marabese design that made no sense to me until the designer was quoted saying the Centauro was informed by the Dondolino . . .

moto-guzzi-dondonlino-3.jpg

moto-g-centurox2-0766-01.jpg

I had read in a couple of respected publications as well as (I believe it was pashnit) that when fitted with soft panniers, they made for a powerful and rewarding long distance tourer!

I have done several 500 mile days on V11s. Backpack and tank bag is all I need, but small panniers, tail bags, or passenger-seat-mounted bags are all good options. I have used a Giant Loop Great Basin bag a few times. That carries a LOT of stuff and simply straps on to passenger seat and passenger pegs without need for any ugly (IMO) brackets.

What a great thread.

Was at western N.Y. rally yesterday.

Saw a red Ballabio. Made me almost ache for my old one.

But at risk of being banned, I think an 8v Griso would scratch more of the OP's professed itches than any V11.

1921!

Bill

• Like 1

Those centauros.... damn. They ugly- is it just in pictures? Or are they like that in person...?

A fine v11 now. That’s some elegant design work. Curvy in alll the right places.. mmmm

They are questionable in the photos but quite striking in person. I had the same thoughts until I saw it in flesh. It’s also hard to get a V11 Sport to look good in pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great thread.

Was at western N.Y. rally yesterday.

Saw a red Ballabio. Made me almost ache for my old one.

But at risk of being banned, I think an 8v Griso would scratch more of the OP's professed itches than any V11.

1921!

Bill

Ban him!

The Big Brass Lady spanks Grisos every bit as well as bacon-slicers!

b8087ccf7ff8350584c7b4635f80a37f.jpg

• Like 1

I put over 40 K miles on a Centauro.. about half of them 2 up. (!) Dorcia and I went everywhere on it. HB bags and the (ahem) luggage rack were plenty for 1 up rally/camping. It's essentially a V11S with different but quite capable WP suspension, and that great (if you don't mind tinkering with it) Dr. John 4V motor and a 5 speed.

Aesthetics are subjective.. I grew to like it.. but  it still looks modern today.  :huh2:  I had many comments, from What the hell is that?? to That's really Kool, man..

The Grease O is just a modern version of the Centauro. Both are great non cookie cutter bikes. Love em or hate em. I'll take door number 1, Alex..