Lucky Phil

V11 Daytona project

Moved on to the heads today while I wait for a new OP relief spring. I have 2 brand new l/h camshafts so I'm good for that head but I wanted to check the cam lobe taper to be sure I'll get the lifter rotation I need when the engine is running. I had heard a long while back that the factory cams can be ground without any taper due to poor quality.

So I chucked up a new L/H can and dialed it up. The manual says it should have and 8' angle on the lobe so a 20mm wide lobe by may calculation should have a .046mm taper across the face. The std new cam came up at .040 so close enough.

DSC00745.JPG

DSC00747.JPG

The R/H lobes are another matter. The exhaust isnt too bad, its got the taper but some wear in the center of the lobe.

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00750.JPG

DSC00751.JPG

The inlet however isnt quite so good. No taper and center wear. I'll have a more comprehensive look at these and see where on the lobe the wear and lack of taper begins and ends and decide what action to take. Hopefully I'll be able to use a diamond lap and correct them by hand. 

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00754.JPG

Ciao