Triumph Speed RR versus Ducati Panigale V2?

I have arthritis in both thumbs from wrenching 55 years and doing martial arts for 30 of those and I have broken and re broken my left wrist 2-3 times ( cant remember) from back when I used to race scrambles and motocross..

My Scura with the RAM clutch is like a dream to pull..I can pull it with my little finger if I want to, I've tried it

My 2022 Ducati is an extremely  light  pull as well, plus it came from the factory with a up and down Quick shifter, so about the only time I use the clutch it to put it in 1st from a stop, and sometimes from 1st to second, just to be more gentle to the gearbox.

My MG California with the Cable clutch..will give you a workout though....1999 5 speed

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Phil, I have some pain in my thumb.  I went to therapist, she told me that squeezing a ball was one of the worst thing a person could do.  Of course hand pain doesn't equal wrist pain.  Her therapy fixed it about 70% and it's no longer chronic.  

Personally, I prefer the feel of a cable clutch and I don't find a hydraulic clutch any easier to pull.  I thought that I liked the simplicity of the cable too, until I snapped it on Supersport.  

I think I need a seal kit for my V11 Sport, Docc was mentioning it might be the spring.  I have two bikes with cables and two Hydraulic.  I like the feel and easy adjustment of the cable.  I had never broken a cable until a couple of weeks ago.  Oh well.  

Ok sure, my issue was mostly resolved by warming up my wrist or tendons I guess. Same as when I visit my dentist I do some jaw exercises so I can more easily spend time with my mouth wide open. Cable or Hydraulic clutches are fine with me but I'm often amused by people going to massive trouble to do hydraulic clutch conversions to make the clutch "lighter" when they could more easily just extend the clutch pushrod arm on the gearbox. Hydraulic leverage ratio is exactly the same as mechanical leverage ratio with only the friction drag of the cable the difference. Modern high quality clutch cables are pretty low friction these days. Maybe even no more than the drag of clutch master and slave cylinder seals and fluid friction through the lines. 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, p6x said:

The RR uses a cable actuated clutch. I thought it to be incongruous on this price point. Besides, the force required to actuate the clutch is greater than on my V11.

I have a permanent tendinitis in my left hand, because I drove too many hard clutches bikes in the city when I started riding motorbikes. This was also one of the main reason I never got a Ducati before with those extremely hard to manipulate dry clutches.

The Aprilia V4s have a cable clutch, including the “factory” models and those bikes are expensive, so it may be more of an intention than a concession. My ‘09 Duc with a hydraulic dry clutch is no harder to pull on than my V11’s hydraulic dry clutch. It is a great feeling clutch. My 850T cable dry clutch is much stiffer.

The Ducati V2 has an up and down quick shifter, so you can give your clutch hand a break….does the Triumph have one too?

Guys, yesterday (Friday 25th March) I went to V1 Moto in Houston, to take a closer look at the Ducati Panigale.

I thought I was back in Europe!!!! like the last Ducati Store I visited there, I got superbly ignored, and I was the only potential customer inside the store. The accessories and spares people were so immersed into their respective screens, than they did not even bother to answer to my greetings! what a difference with Iron Supply in Katy. But I have to be grateful for the cold shoulder treatment. I now know where I will not purchase a motorcycle. Lol.....

Apart from this, these guys have a setup I have not seen anywhere else, and the preposterous Ducati line is artistically disposed. Whoever did the stores' setup deserve credits. I will try to shoot a video there, to show you some of the marvels they host. Even the Austin Ducati Store would be in awe. But the Austin Ducati store is extremely Texas friendly.

The pre-owned Panigale V2s they had on their website were there, with signs "do not sit, the bike is sold"! oh yeah? but why is it still shown for sale on the website then?

I must admit, those bikes are incredibly gorgeous, and the Speed RR is really not on the same planet when it comes to sheer beauty and quality. I am not convinced I need anything else but a V11, if I eventually do, then it will have to be a V2, which I will purchase used on cycle trader.

2 hours ago, p6x said:

Guys, yesterday (Friday 25th March) I went to V1 Moto in Houston, to take a closer look at the Ducati Panigale.

I thought I was back in Europe!!!! like the last Ducati Store I visited there, I got superbly ignored, and I was the only potential customer inside the store. The accessories and spares people were so immersed into their respective screens, than they did not even bother to answer to my greetings! what I a difference with Iron Supply in Katy. But I have to be grateful for the cold shoulder treatment. I now know where I will not purchase a motorcycle. Lol.....

Apart from this, these guys have a setup I have not seen anywhere else, and the preposterous Ducati line is artistically disposed. Whoever did the stores' setup deserve credits. I will try to shoot a video there, to show you some of the marvels they host. Even the Austin Ducati Store would be in awe. But the Austin Ducati store is extremely Texas friendly.

The pre-owned Panigale V2s they had on their website were there, with signs "do not sit, the bike is sold"! oh yeah? but why is it still shown for sale on the website then?

I must admit, those bikes are incredibly gorgeous, and the Speed RR is really not on the same planet when it comes to sheer beauty and quality. I am not convinced I need anything else but a V11, but if I eventually do, then it will have to be a V2, which I will purchase used on cycle trader.

The boutique atmosphere is way overplayed in many Motor shops. I know what drives it but it makes no sense really. Two big offenders in my town are Duc and KTM. They're like ... we gots what you want so kiss the ring. Matt Carr at the Duc shop is a good man if you can snag him. My local Triumph shop is #1 in regional sales and they could not be more 'regular guy' oriented. They always have a couple Duc trade-ins on the floor. Most multi line shops in the area are pretty cool to deal with. The shops that are located outside the city, in the smaller towns, the ones with "powersports" in the name often have cool trade-ins. That's where I've felt most welcome to talk and test the used market.

Why pay EU (or US)-level prices for something (no matter how good or beautiful it may be) built in a low-wage country?  If it wants to fly the Union Jack, it should be built there too. 

13 hours ago, p6x said:

I thought I was back in Europe!!!! like the last Ducati Store I visited there, I got superbly ignored, and I was the only potential customer inside the store. The accessories and spares people were so immersed into their respective screens, than they did not even bother to answer to my greetings! what I a difference with Iron Supply in Katy. But I have to be grateful for the cold shoulder treatment. I now know where I will not purchase a motorcycle. Lol.....

I must admit, those bikes are incredibly gorgeous, and the Speed RR is really not on the same planet when it comes to sheer beauty and quality. I am not convinced I need anything else but a V11, but if I eventually do, then it will have to be a V2, which I will purchase used on cycle trader.

Run up to AMS in Dallas and you may like it.  They talk bikes, give test rides and won't pressure you buy.  They also have very many classic Ducatis on display.   

I purchased my 939 Supersport from them.  Despite looking like a Superbike, it's more comfortable than my V11 Sport.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Run up to AMS in Dallas and you may like it.  They talk bikes, give test rides and won't pressure you buy.  They also have very many classic Ducatis on display.   

I purchased my 939 Supersport from them.  Despite looking like a Superbike, it's more comfortable than my V11 Sport.

Why not...

I go to Dallas often. One of my favorite guitar store is located in McKinney (North of Dallas).

The relationship between seller and customer has completely changed. When you go to a store to purchase something, you have most likely researched it beforehand. The sale's assistant is no longer a key element of the choice.

For example, the guy at Iron Supply in Katy was exactly as you described the AMS people. He even asked me if I wanted to test drive the RR, although he did not have any dedicated one, he was willing to let me test the new one. I liked that he was taking the chance. None of the bikes they are selling, including pre-owned ones have "please don sit" signs on them.

V1 Moto can keep their bikes for someone else.

I read somewhere else the Ducati Superbikes are not as uncomfortable as they look. But V1 Moto does not think I am worthy enough to sit on one....

p6x have you ever considered a Indian FTR? The S and Carbon are lookers along with the fact that they have an upright seating position with a handle bar? Its a 120 HP V-twin that sounds good. B) :2c:

IMG_4155.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, p6x said:

Why not...

I go to Dallas often. One of my favorite guitar store is located in McKinney (North of Dallas).

The relationship between seller and customer has completely changed. When you go to a store to purchase something, you have most likely researched it beforehand. The sale's assistant is no longer a key element of the choice.

For example, the guy at Iron Supply in Katy was exactly as you described the AMS people. He even asked me if I wanted to test drive the RR, although he did not have any dedicated one, he was willing to let me test the new one. I liked that he was taking the chance. None of the bikes they are selling, including pre-owned ones have "please don sit" signs on them.

V1 Moto can keep their bikes for someone else.

I read somewhere else the Ducati Superbikes are not as uncomfortable as they look. But V1 Moto does not think I am worthy enough to sit on one....

The Supersport is very comfortable but doesn't have the rocket engine like the V2, although it looks great.  The SS has the torque-y engine (similar to the Indian -above-) while the V2 is a screamer.  Also has a saddlebag package and is considered at Touring Sportbike.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Joe said:

p6x have you ever considered a Indian FTR? The S and Carbon are lookers along with the fact that they have an upright seating position with a handle bar? Its a 120 HP V-twin that sounds good. B) :2c:

IMG_4155.jpg

Iron Supply is going to carry the brand, on top of Triumph and Royal Enfield. I know very little about Indian; I mean the modern motorbikes.

And the SS will not have the level of thermal discomfort as the Panigales for street riding, particularly the V4. You will need a pair of asbestos riding pants for your commute. The SS has the same engine that Ducati uses for the Monster 950, Multistrada 950, Hypermotard, and Desert X. It’s their go-to performance street motor. The SS seems like the best sport touring bike Ducati is putting out, in the wake of the dearly departed ST line.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

And the SS will not have the level of thermal discomfort as the Panigales for street riding, particularly the V4. You will need a pair of asbestos riding pants for your commute. The SS has the same engine that Ducati uses for the Monster 950, Multistrada 950, Hypermotard, and Desert X. It’s their go-to performance street motor. The SS seems like the best sport touring bike Ducati is putting out, in the wake of the dearly departed ST line.

I watched a few reviews, and groin warming was indeed pointed out by several. Definitively not interested in the V4.

If I go for a V2, it would only be to get the bread and the croissants from the bakery. Any serious riding would only involve the Le Mans. I am not dead set on getting an additional bike. Once I deal away the 911, then I will carefully evaluate what I want/can do.

• Like 1

Have you seen the Bayliss edition of the V2?
https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/panigale/panigale-v2-bayliss-1st-championship-20th-anniversary

It comes with Ohlins suspension. I don’t believe the standard V2 has the “S” option for Ohlins. I guess Ducati figures that if someone were to pay the extra for Ohlins on a V2 they would just go for V4.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, p6x said:

….Once I deal away the 911, then I will carefully evaluate what I want/can do.

Oooo….. a 911 :). Love those cars! Which 911 do you have?