Stelvio

biesel

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Guy, Im looking forward to seeing one, the only thing putting me off is the seat height, my local dealer is now hoping to have at least one in for there stand at the scottish motorcycle show. Remember and post photos :thumbsup:

Gary

That's scary as I only decided this morning- what else do you know?!!

You're going to order two and give one to me.

Wonder what the covers down each side of the engine just above the headers are for? Heat shields? The rack at the rear looks a bit afterthought.

Ithink those thigs are what is called "designed", the same as the starter cover, just as useless piece on the v11.

I wonder how top heavy it feels? Went to the bike show this weekend and sat on the Buell Ulyses and the Triumph Tiger. I felt the Buell felt less top heavy than the tiger while my two buddies thought they felt the same. Ergo's we're equally good on both bikes.

I've seen the Stelvio in the flesh, and I'm sorry to say I find it even uglier than on the pics... I think it's a bad design with none-corresponding lines all over the bike.

I'm planning to test ride the new Triumph Tiger which looks much better imo. Especially in orange or black

11757_Triumph_Tiger_tutta_nuova_per_il_2007.jpg

Oh... Don't worry, I'll keep the V11 :rolleyes:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder!

I did consider the Triumph- its a bit cheaper (in the UK) and a little sportier but deep down I wanted a Guzzi, and the looks and spec have grown on me.

I have phoned my dealer and have requested a black Stelvio if they can get one after seeing Paul's pics.

Guy :helmet:

Look, I know that people are hanging out for a sort of 'Soft Road' Guzzi but the thing is that this beast is more like, in fact its trying to copy, the GS BMW's. They are absolure shit on anything other than smooth dirt, (We have a LOT of dirt roads in Oz :lol: ) And to be honest I can drop the damping front and rear on my Griso and keep up with a lot of GS plonkers on a well graded dirt road, (And, I hasten to add, I hate dirt!).

Back when BMW launched the very first GS way back in the depths of time it was a VERY different world. I seriously thought about one until I realized that for what I wanted to do My SP1000 was just as good :P .

When I did do a short, but serious sort of outback tour back in '83 I used an old twin shock XL500 Honda with a weedy front brake, (1/2 width six incher or something equally terrifying but I was used to a SLS 8 incher on my Triumph so it wasn't so bad :vomit: .) Very early 'Dual Purpose' tyres, (Metz as I recall?) and a six volt electrical system that didn't and I reckon it would STILL be a far more suitable bike for 'Soft Roading' than the great heffalump of a Stelvio. (The mighty 'Onda had a 21 inch front wheel! Bliss!!!!)

Look, if it floats your boat? Fine! But it's a bit like having a big four wheel drive in London or a Hummer in LA. Not wanting to put peoples' noses out of joint but 'Wasteful' and 'Stupid' are phrases that spring to mind. A DR 400 or equivalent is a much better beast although my choice would be a Honda 200 Auto-Ag but I'm odd like that :huh2::grin:

Pete

Mine will never see any mud or dirt short of a rally site! If I wanted an off road bike I'd buy something much smaller- I'm looking for a tourer with a comfy seat and suspension, plenty of steering lock, punchy motor and preferably a Guzzi. The Breva / Norge / 1200 Sport do nothing for me and I found the Griso too uncomfortable.

I think anyone buying a Stelvio for serious off roading will be either mad or seriously talented, 'cos it is a road bike, in my opinion!

Guy :helmet:

Guy, as a tourer you won't be disappointed I think.

I don't know where the dirtbike discussion comes from. I've seen this discussion on wildguzzi too. Is the same as 95% of the SUV can't do much in mud. In England there you have mr Clarkson taking these cars in the mud to show they can't do what a rangerover can.