Stelvio

biesel

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial impressions from a very slippery ride through Bradford to home:

Very well balanced- easy to ride at 3mph in heavy traffic and stay dead stable. Once you get rolling, very flickable, seeming a lot lighter than she really is.

Great ergonomics- seat / bars / screen just right for me

Obviously running her in, and on new tyres on wet roads so I was taking it easy, but plenty of bottom end grunt and the fuelling is perfect low down- can't comment on higher up the rev range yet.

Brakes very good, progressive but powerful.

Nice sound.

Clocks easy to read.

Much smaller than my friends 1150GS who parked next to me at Moto Strada.

Finish is superb.

Just ordered some factory panniers- about £400.

Big shout to Moto Strada- pleasure to do business with them.

Congrats Guy, looks nice :thumbsup: how is the seat height for you, thats probably the only thing about the stelvio that bothers me, its a long way down :rolleyes: Shirlaws phoned my house yesterday to tell me they now have a demo bike, unfortunately i am away working so my wife told them i am away for a month and he isnt interested <_>

Gary

Well I am not the tallest of guys- I am 5ft 9 with a 30 inch inside leg and on the lowest seat height I can get get one foot flat, the other half down, so its fine. Much lower than other off roaders I have ridden.

I am 15 stone though so that probably helps compress the shock!

Gary- if you ride one, you will buy it!

I can't believe you bought a stelvio, I'm so fricken jealous, let me know a more detailed ride report on the new fangled ditch pump as I'm fairly sure that if I sell my V11 either a Stelvio or cali vintage will replace her, (I'm not totally decided but the stelvio is winning)

When do we get to stop calling it a ditch pump motor?

The multi-valve design is certainly a step away, but perhaps we don't want to lose the descriptive term, as it separates us from the plethora of 600cc fours that are so often on the side of the freeway being written up for too much freedom of expression. :rolleyes:

I can't believe you bought a stelvio, I'm so fricken jealous, let me know a more detailed ride report on the new fangled ditch pump as I'm fairly sure that if I sell my V11 either a Stelvio or cali vintage will replace her, (I'm not totally decided but the stelvio is winning)

That Vintage is a sweet looking bike in the sunshine Ben. I took one for a short demo ride & I liked it more than the Norge. The Norge has more goodies on it but the Vintage seemed more comfortable.

Of course you & I are waaaay far apart in size so ymmv.

That Vintage is a sweet looking bike in the sunshine Ben. I took one for a short demo ride & I liked it more than the Norge. The Norge has more goodies on it but the Vintage seemed more comfortable.

Of course you & I are waaaay far apart in size so ymmv.

yeah I really don't like the norge tho, doesn't suit me at all, just my opinion. I really like the stelvio from the side and back but the front is 999 ugly, doesn't matter tho is does what it needs to and can go off road, where as I'm torn as the cali vintage is really a beautiful bike all around and would make a excellent touring bike which is what I want both of them to do and really its quite hard to find anywhere under an hour or two to go off road anyway, maybe if I still lived up by canada but I'm in the metro now. So each has their advantage to me I just need to weigh the scales and see what happens when I get the money and motivation to call up Greg@moto-international or Todd@MPH cycles to ship me a bike ^_^

hopefully I'd be able to get a test ride on one but that is unlikely with the dealer situation in MN, there are two I know of but I don't think either has any *new* models on hand.

yeah I really don't like the norge tho, doesn't suit me at all, just my opinion. I really like the stelvio from the side and back but the front is 999 ugly, doesn't matter tho is does what it needs to and can go off road, where as I'm torn as the cali vintage is really a beautiful bike all around and would make a excellent touring bike which is what I want both of them to do and really its quite hard to find anywhere under an hour or two to go off road anyway, maybe if I still lived up by canada but I'm in the metro now. So each has their advantage to me I just need to weigh the scales and see what happens when I get the money and motivation to call up Greg@moto-international or Todd@MPH cycles to ship me a bike ^_^

hopefully I'd be able to get a test ride on one but that is unlikely with the dealer situation in MN, there are two I know of but I don't think either has any *new* models on hand.

If you're going to buy one I would recomend that you fly out to the dealer you intend to buy the bike from & ride it first. If you buy from Todd that would make a nice ride home from Houston on a new bike. If you want a really long ride home, buy it from Greg! lol I dont think it would cost very much more than having the bike shipped to you.

Does the Stelvio have a 21" front wheel? If not, it's capabilities off road will not be anything to write home about.

IMO, if the looks of a bike are questionable [and the Stelvio is no beauty], it better have extreme capabilities masking it's homeliness.

Steve

Does the Stelvio have a 21" front wheel? If not, it's capabilities off road will not be anything to write home about.

IMO, if the looks of a bike are questionable [and the Stelvio is no beauty], it better have extreme capabilities masking it's homeliness.

Steve

Its actually a 19incher the front- and I have just returned from an ace ride over the local moors in the Spring sunshine. Handling is very good- the bike is so stable, steers well and can be leant well over.

Motor is a peach too- haven't taken her over 5500k yet but I can feel the potential.

I was expecting the 4V motor to be weaker lower down but she feels a fair bit gruntier than my V11 at lower revs, with the top end still to be explored.