Stelvio

biesel

I'd like some fellow forum members recommendations but I am 99% sure that the Stelvio will be not only my next MG but my next motorcycle. I'm only unsure about two things, 1)US price point and 2) probably service and/or unforseen problems, by all means keep my posted on this bike.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today was perfect bike day, sun, 12 degrees, and the Stelvio was waiting for me.

When standing with the bike it's huge. And when you get in in your hand it feels heavy. But the moment you sit on it, all that is gone. It feels all in the right place, and comfy.

I started to drive through a small village, where they had all sorts of things in the road to make you drive slow. That was a good test, since we have that everywhere. Well the long suspesion is a big plus here, it doesn't make a difference a fews bups in the road. And the small curves they let you make, fine with the Stelvio, it's very light flickable. A moment when I too the wrong direction and wanted to turn, was a next test, the radius it can do is very small, and I could do it with no foot on the road. A road made from small stones, well stones weren't felt.

Then outside town, local roads, easy and light to dirve, just fun. Between cars, the upright high position is a big plus, they see you and you can see over most cars. I adjusted the screen to lowest position, in the high position wind was just on my helmet. I heard from a Dutch Stelvio owner, that he mounted a Norge screen, that fits too. And is bigger.

Well and the engine, it does what it should do any moment, but compared to my 1225 it is dull. But for normal road use, the 4v stelvio will do fine. The gearbox is a bit less soft than my v11 box, but the bike nearly had 200km done when I got her. All shifts were precise. Some tests talk about a huge hole in the midrange, I dind't have problems with that, the only noticed weirness was at 3000, driving behind a truck, then it has a bit on/off feeling. Like the lambda comes in and goes out, or something like it.

When I brought het back and landed on the Daytona, first thought was, what idiot placed the footrests so high, and why is the clipons so low? It toook some time to get used to my daytona, and then I made a trip of another 100km because the sun was there.

Will I buy one? Maybe, It looks like a bike that you can do very easy long distance driving with, and since I'm not 20 anymore, the comfort counts too. I think it's way better bike then any tonti based Guzzi. Maybe the best Guzzi until now.

Good review Paul- your thoughts and opinions are pretty close to mine.

I will let you know how I get on with the Mistral can I have ordered- whether it changes the nature of the power delivery. It will be lighter for sure.

well the silencer doesn't bother me. The bike makes enough sound. Social and enough deep tones. On pictes it looked huge to me, in real life, it fits the picture. What I would do, is dismount the two things left and right from the engine. Nice designer touch, can I live without

What I would do, is dismount the two things left and right from the engine. Nice designer touch, can I live without

Hmmm. They do stick out a bit don't they?

Those are cylinders, sometimes called barrels, that contain explosions and moving parts, necessary for the forward propulsion of the bicycle.

Best to leave them there.

well the silencer doesn't bother me. The bike makes enough sound. Social and enough deep tones. On pictes it looked huge to me, in real life, it fits the picture. What I would do, is dismount the two things left and right from the engine. Nice designer touch, can I live without

One of those covers also stops you checking the oil at the roadside unless you have an allen key handy.

so what keeps you from taking them of? Keeps them new:-)

Nothing! They will come off when I get round to spending some time with her on Saturday.

She is covered in salt / dirt too so I guess I better clean her. :)

They will come off when I get round to spending some time with her on Saturday.

She is covered in salt / dirt too so I guess I better clean her. :)

Don't feel too bad: we all neglect the wife at times.

yeah I'm sold. Is there any word on hard luggage for the Stelvio? I'd like some utalitiarian at least styled boxes to put on there but I haven't seen anything from the factory on it. :huh:

Also from the video clips I've seen this is the FIRST exhaust I've liked for sound AND looks straight from the factory, the most I would do is try and core it out to let it flow better and be even louder and that is all.

well there are accessories from guzzi available, hard cases looking like the ones from the norge.

The silencer makes enough deep tones, to keep it as is.

But its rather heavy and ugly! Thats why I have ordered a Mistral.