Stelvio

biesel

Does the Stelvio have a 21" front wheel? If not, it's capabilities off road will not be anything to write home about.

IMO, if the looks of a bike are questionable [and the Stelvio is no beauty], it better have extreme capabilities masking it's homeliness.

Steve

the 19-incher up front is no problem. Continental TKC80s work well in the 19-inch size.

the "problem" for those wanting to venture "off road" will be the rear 180mm wheel. TKC80s and other dual-sport tires are only available up to 150mm right now.

the OEM tires are Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Same as on other street-oriented "adventure" bikes like the Multistrada and XB9SX.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 19-incher up front is no problem. Continental TKC80s work well in the 19-inch size.

the "problem" for those wanting to venture "off road" will be the rear 180mm wheel. TKC80s and other dual-sport tires are only available up to 150mm right now.

the OEM tires are Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Same as on other street-oriented "adventure" bikes like the Multistrada and XB9SX.

HAHA, I have the Scorpion Sync's on my V11, they work really well on the street but I would NOT, I repeat NOT take them off road, MAYBE on a bike more capable but you better get the scorpion MT's if you want to go off road, I almost dropped the V11 going for a photo op on some grass, doesn't handle well on grass, on gravel they actually do pretty good tho, a lot better than normal street tires but they are a hard packed gravel and street tire only. I guess if I really want to go off road and get around it might be more between the 1200GS and the road cruiser of the cali vintage, The thing with the BMW is that it fit me like a freakin glove when I sat on it at the bike show, even my slightly overweight frame looked fine on it. I mean the 1200GS adventuer, might be able to find a decent used one at some point. I don't think I'll own another super sport for a long time tho, the aprilia is SCARY fast. lose my license fast. I need something slower ^_^

HAHA, I have the Scorpion Sync's on my V11, they work really well on the street but I would NOT, I repeat NOT take them off road, MAYBE on a bike more capable but you better get the scorpion MT's if you want to go off road, I almost dropped the V11 going for a photo op on some grass, doesn't handle well on grass, on gravel they actually do pretty good tho, a lot better than normal street tires but they are a hard packed gravel and street tire only. I guess if I really want to go off road and get around it might be more between the 1200GS and the road cruiser of the cali vintage, The thing with the BMW is that it fit me like a freakin glove when I sat on it at the bike show, even my slightly overweight frame looked fine on it. I mean the 1200GS adventuer, might be able to find a decent used one at some point. I don't think I'll own another super sport for a long time tho, the aprilia is SCARY fast. lose my license fast. I need something slower ^_^

It's good to have a well rounded garage with machines of different capabilities. I'd keep the Aprilia just to put things in perspective. The V11 is also a keeper. But you also need a bike that gives you the opportunity to take that gravel road splitting off the paved road, you know the ones that head up to some ridge that promises a great view from the top!

I've ridden a GSA Beemer many times. The price of these is quite silly, they are over technical, and expensive to fix if you crash in the dirt [and you will!]. I rode to Baja last yr with 1 GSA, 3 GSPD's, and a KLR. The GSA crashed, and cost 7K to fix. Every other bike crashed as well. I took a spray bomb to my GSPD, fixed! The GSA's are a brilliant road bike, untouchable in the tight twisties [as are most all big dual sports] , but pricey.

You know, there are 2 M.G. Quota's for sale here in Vancouver. 6K OBO, low miles, aluminum panniers, mint. They are ugly of course, but so are every other dual sport bike ever made.

Steve

big_test_guzzi_stelvio_1200_04.jpg

thats awesome, now if you can fit the Scorpion MT's under that front fender I might have a new front runner for a second Guzzi here(of coarse in a few years I don't even know if they're in the US at all yet. When it comes to anything piaggio the US is about 1yr behind.

THIS ONE

has me more sold on it, I'll take the white one please, thank you. Think I've found my next new guzzi in about 3-4 as I bet it wont land in the US for a year and depending on the price point and the weak american dollar I may want to try and find a used one somewhere over here. <_>

MCN (UK) has Stelvio feature, testing against BMW, Triumph and KTM, in a ride to Stelvio Pass. Unfortunately, in the three-page spread, they messed-up and pasted a load of text about the GS twice and left out the info on the Stelvio! There's meant to be video from the test at www.motorcyclenews.com/stelviotest. There is nothing there – maybe it will appear, if you try later.

MCN (UK) has Stelvio feature, testing against BMW, Triumph and KTM, in a ride to Stelvio Pass. Unfortunately, in the three-page spread, they messed-up and pasted a load of text about the GS twice and left out the info on the Stelvio! There's meant to be video from the test at www.motorcyclenews.com/stelviotest. There is nothing there – maybe it will appear, if you try later.

Typical MCN rubbish- they say the Stelvio has the same motor as the 1200 Sport!

Typical MCN rubbish- they say the Stelvio has the same motor as the 1200 Sport!

Isn't it? I read in some guzzi press info that they changed 512 parts in the engine. Then you might think it's the same. Hey dude it's a twin from mandello, yes they make them for 40 years now.

I bet there isn't a part identical, besides standard bolts.

I see they found it back:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/20928...lvio%20test.pdf