Anybody going to see Led Zeppelin?

Guest Kevin H

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny really, all of it. I grew up on Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Just turned fifty. :o

My Very First Concert, 1977, friends assured me, "Led Zeppelin will never play in Tampa (Florida) again."

I've never seen such a crowd spectacle before or since. Hours of anticipation, aclimitization , and astromicizizism ( hey, it was 1977).

Two songs into the performance the BIGGEST MEANEST THUNDERSTORM ever to settle over Tampa Stadium sent the Wired of the Stage scurrying for their RV's.

70,000 of us ( who'd just finished everything we'd brought ** to the concert) attempted to leave at once. Contrary to Brazilian soccer events, no one was killed in the fracas; although I feared for my life seeing my gf torn from the grasp of our blanket in the frenzied exit.

What I remember most is the pre-event mass papercup wars; the blanket tosses in the surreal mass below; the entire football field turning to a patchwork quilt when the torrential rain came down; the electrical storm dancing its spectacular energy into the rods along the upper perimeter of the stadium . . .

No shit . . . never again!

Tangerine Dream . . .

My most memorable concert was the Watkins Glen Sequel to Woodstock.

In the miles long, snail pace line to get in, I was with friends. I was on my Honda 250, and all my stuff was being very kindly kept the carload of pal. It was hot, so I had given them my jacket, sleeping gear, tent and helmet, too.

I kept riding up to the gate and back down to touch base with my buddies from time to time, until one time, they weren't there. I looked everywhere for hours, but could not find them among the approximately 400,000 people and innumerable cars as far as the eye could see. Having no food or shelter, I got desparate and begged my way into a tent for the night under a blanket and a little grub from some friendly folks.

That night was unbelievable. A unbelievable spectical of costumes and public nudity, every possible drug and form of alcohol available and being consumed. Many had brought truckloads of beer and whatever for sale. Walking around that night was like being on another planet, I can tell you! The concert was terrific the next day, but I was a little under the weather, wondering how the hell I was going to get home or make it through another night. About 3:00 PM, walking into the crowd to find a seat, I almost stepped on one of my friends. Had that not happened, I don't know whether I would have even noticed them. Lucky isn't the word!

With my spirits now soaring, it became the best party I can recall. They even let some of us bikers on the race track. It was great zipping around the track, but a little tricky, since not everyone agreed which was the right direction!

Made it home the next day, safe and sound, and lived to tell about it. :D

In the miles long, snail pace line to get in, I was with friends. I was on my Honda 250, and all my stuff was being very kindly kept the carload of pal. .....About 3:00 PM, walking into the crowd to find a seat, I almost stepped on one of my friends. Had that not happened, I don't know whether I would have even noticed them. Lucky isn't the word!

......Made it home the next day, safe and sound, and lived to tell about it. :D

a bit like going to Ikea then?

About a month ago I bought the recent DVD simply called Led Zeppelin and I have been so busy tonight is the first opportunity I've had to sit down and watch it.

So far I've just watched the first disc and its very good- mainly concert footage from a 1970 gig at the Royal Albert Hall- much fresher and bluesier than the stuff filmed for the film The Song Remains The Same.

Recommended for those long winter nights! B)

your business

and

with me 'til dawn

seems like an invitation to a

union

and certainly you're straying from the straight with that last one

• 2 weeks later...

LZ borrowed heavily from all the early blues masters. When I was a kid I idolized Jimmy Page, not realizing how much he and Plant had "borrowed" from the early bluesmen. Anyhow, from what I've heard Zep was never that great live in the 70's and I doubt they're a whole lot better now so I'm not in any rush to go check out their new live act.