Well, I really hope that Obama does well and turns around the negatives of the Bush administration, HOWEVER, as my da once said, "The only decent person that ever went into Parliament House was Guy Fawkes"

front_2_poster_redX.jpg

Excellent film, like 1984 its slowly becoming reality !!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press reports some 2 million people were there in Washington to witness President Obama being sworn in. :wub:

Hope they are not as disappionted as the 2 million people I joined in the London rally to try to prevent the start of the Iraq war. :angry:

It's not war it's an occupation.

According to AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY, occupation= 1 an activity that serves as one's regular source of livelihood.2 the act or process of holding a place.3 an invasion,conquest,and control of a nation or territory by foriegn armed forces.

I think we all know there are political conversations we could really get our teeth into here, and God knows, over a beer there's nothing I'd enjoy more, but as has been pointed out before, the majority of this particular website would like to keep it relatively politically neutral, so fair enough.

I actually agree with that, because I can't figure point, or shout loud enough, on a keyboard and it leaves me feeling a bit impotent. And not in a good way.

But you know, it's funny. I've been passing through US airport customs about twice a month for about 15 years now. And there is always, somewhere, a photo of the old commander and chief smiling down at me. And for the first time, I think I'm going to have a slightly less cynical impression, when I see it next.

The only positive thing to come out of pandora's box was hope. And I think that's what the new man represents to me. He's not God, or a magician, but he is (in my eyes) an improvement on anyone in my living memory.(I'm 38).

It's a cliche, but the truth nonetheless, that no 60's to 70's house in Ireland was complete without 2 pictures on the wall. One was of the pope. The other was JFK. I think it's generally acknowledged that he represented a lot more then he actually accomplished.

But I still think the world would have been a better place had he served 8 years. I feel the same about this guy.

Well, I really hope that Obama does well and turns around the negatives of the Bush administration, HOWEVER, as my da once said, "The only decent person that ever went into Parliament House was Guy Fawkes"

:lol::lol::lol: I like it

Well lets hope he dos'nt make as many balls up's as GW and his International geography is a bit better, but on seeing him in a recent interview he did'nt seem to know how many states there are!

That's 'cause he discounts "flyover country" & any other state where there isn't a Democratic majority: they didn't help him get elected, so they'll be victimized in the new regime... ;) And regime it is; Obama's packing his White House w/ the rejects from the Clinton [The Man Who Would Be King] era. You'd think they'd have learned something from the huge volte-face that the country took after Clinton's mendacity. So much for any "Star Wars Obama: A New Hope" allusions during the campaign: it's all the same ol', same ol' when it comes time to fish or cut bait!

Oh well, at least Obama's not likely to chase ugly skirts and commit Arkancides while he's in control: there's that much to be said in his favor! :thumbsup:

As said before, I don't have much hope for Obama changing/fixing things. But getting help from Clintons administration, one of the most successful Presidents we've had in a long time, can't be a bad thing. He'll need all the help he can get.

On a different note V For Vendetta is one of my favorite movies. There was so much truth in that movie.

I do agree that if you think the most important thing about Obama is the color of his skin, you are a racist.

But getting help from Clintons administration, one of the most successful Presidents we've had in a long time, can't be a bad thing.

I am intrigued by your definition of "success..." ;)

Next task: define "is..." :lol:

It seems a lot of his energy has been spent trying to convince people they have some common interests, and that working cooperatively is something to be valued. I think he's trying to make the argument that freedom can mean making choices that lead to a better quality of life for more people.

We've been using the premises that the highest good is winning, the role models are rich, corporate profits should be a universally applied metric for decision making, and that might makes right. It seems reasonable to attribute some of where we are now to those attitudes. Particularly interesting to see how export of that culture has affected mindsets and conditions in developing countries.

Only time will tell if he's can be effective, or whether we'll see a decrease in federal mendacity. I do find it encouraging that we have a leader capable of complex thought and expression. :oldgit:

It seems a lot of his energy has been spent trying to convince people they have some common interests, and that working cooperatively is something to be valued. I think he's trying to make the argument that freedom can mean making choices that lead to a better quality of life for more people.

We've been using the premises that the highest good is winning, the role models are rich, corporate profits should be a universally applied metric for decision making, and that might makes right. It seems reasonable to attribute some of where we are now to those attitudes. Particularly interesting to see how export of that culture has affected mindsets and conditions in developing countries.

Very well said :thumbsup:

Just thinking this way is a positive start.

...What *will* make a change are the little things each person can do, be it help out a neighbor, donate some time to a worthy cause, or simply write a letter to your congressperson. The President (or Prime Minister) only steers the ship of state- the Citizens are the oarsmen.

Do something that matters. The foundation of any country is in the character of it's people. We should take ownership of our country (we all should take ownership of all of our countries), be educated on the world affairs and hold our leaders accountable and hold them to task for their jobs. ...

Yup! I'm with you Jason. We make our own societies by the way we behave. Our politicians are only a reflection of us. The fuss & hope about the Obama victory is reminiscent of Blair's first win here - & what did that bring us? If we want a better world, first look to ourselves & the way we live our lives.

KB :sun: