NEWS

Remo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you just know that loads of the faithful are going to have a Pavlovian response of "Oh the beautiful genius of darling classic Moto Guzzi!"

Those 'products' make me think: why would you want to be associated with contemporary Moto Guzzi any more?

Proud Eagle flying into the future?

More like confused Ostrich lost in a sandy wasteland.

Sad.

Whats up with the heads on the new California? It looks like they go almost to the top of the gas tank. I'll reserve judgement on the looks until I see a better picture. Btw I went to the cycle world bike show this weekend and there wasnt even a bmw display let alone Guzzi. Triumph was there though. Speaking of weird new bikes, that Ducati Diavel is actually pretty nice in the flesh. I sat on the thing and its lazy boy comfortable too. The seat was a plush as anything I've ever sat on.

that Ducati Diavel is actually pretty nice in the flesh.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that from the pictures. The Diavel looks absolutely hideous. I'm (kind of) glad to hear it though. More power to them (ha ha) if they can make it work.

I'll reserve judgement on the Guzzi's as well until I can seem them. the 750 (scramber?) looks like a Ducati knock-off, but I'll wager she doesn't have the HP.

The Cali looks like a really heavy bloke has sat on it and the suspension has broken. It's way too low- the great thing about the Tonti framed Calis is that they steer and handle well for a cruiser and have loads of ground clearance.

The Scrambler is a solution to a problem we don't have. How many more Nevada engined retro bikes do we need?

The usual bollocks.

The Cali isn't trying to appeal to people who want a sportsbike. It's squarely aimed at the 'Money Market' of corn-cob-pipists, pinheads and motorcycling caelocanths that make up the 'Cruiser' crowd. Is it my 'Cup of tea'? God no! but it may well be very popular. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it is awful.

The 8V engine if which this is bound to be some sort of itteration is now a tried and tested product, yes Dave, I know your experience was a disaster, but the package IS, really, good now the tappets aren't made of cheese. That means it can be expanded and used in a further range of products and hopefully that will mean a continuation of the Guzzi name. Eventually someone may wake up to the idea that they could build an HP2 equivalent and please all you 'Sportsbike' guys.

By the time that happens I'll be too old, so I'm probably buying an RSV4 for shit and giggles in the USA. No. It doesn't have a Guzzi badge. Such is life. the world changes and life moves on.

Pete

The Scrambler is a solution to a problem we don't have. How many more Nevada engined retro bikes do we need?

True, a solution to problems we don't have. Emphasis on "we". Looking back at the last 2 or 3 decades, maybe even Guzzi history at the whole, it's been the other way round I'd say. "We" are the problem that Guzzi has. Just have a look at the NOCs mentioned in another thread. It's the same in every country. They swear on the old tonti irons (mostly crap in the meantime), never bring the bikes to a shop (at least not as long as they're ruined really 120%), never would buy a new one etc etc...

I wouldn't blame Guzzi for their search for new markets. We, the old mmarket, never were a good and reliable business for them. We all could have bought a Griso or a Stelvio, new or now even used, bikes with weight and grunt and real Guzzi soul :lol:, but have we?

BTW, those small bikes are not "Nevada engined" - they, including the Nevada as just one type, are 100% pure Tontis (frame AND engine). Are they the real heritage then?

hubert

Edit: Found this link: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/163826-new-guzzi-scrambler.html Seems they like it. One for the moderators: check out what avatar you need to get promoted to "Super Moderator" :grin:

Do not develop a product for 24 years leads to this? I expected more.

What is it?

Frame V11, 16 'wheels, two rear shocks (no CA.RC), how wide and low is the tank having to be cut?

And that engine is? So high in the head? A BigBore?

I really am disappointed...

....where is the lightness and the custom of the real California?

Immag005.jpg

True, a solution to problems we don't have. Emphasis on "we". Looking back at the last 2 or 3 decades, maybe even Guzzi history at the whole, it's been the other way round I'd say. "We" are the problem that Guzzi has. Just have a look at the NOCs mentioned in another thread. It's the same in every country. They swear on the old tonti irons (mostly crap in the meantime), never bring the bikes to a shop (at least not as long as they're ruined really 120%), never would buy a new one etc etc...

I wouldn't blame Guzzi for their search for new markets. We, the old mmarket, never were a good and reliable business for them. We all could have bought a Griso or a Stelvio, new or now even used, bikes with weight and grunt and real Guzzi soul :lol:, but have we?

BTW, those small bikes are not "Nevada engined" - they, including the Nevada as just one type, are 100% pure Tontis (frame AND engine). Are they the real heritage then?

hubert

Edit: Found this link: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/163826-new-guzzi-scrambler.html Seems they like it. One for the moderators: check out what avatar you need to get promoted to "Super Moderator" :grin:

I'm not stuck in that "old school" brigade, have bought 4 new Guzzis in the last 11 years including a Stelvio (first one in the UK) and understand that Guzzi need to have a wider appeal, but I'm not impressed by these two new offerings.

The V7s are not selling well (at least not here) because dealers are having to massively discount them and sell them as "demo" bikes. Maybe its a different story elsewhere in the world and maybe they are selling like hot cakes.

Maybe the new Cali (if it is real) will handle well, I do hope so because it would make it stand out from all the other cruiser offerings but it looks pretty low slung from that picture.

I was hoping more for some new bikes loosely based on the Milan show bikes from 2009 which had a sporting appeal- maybe these will appear eventually.

The V7s are not selling well (at least not here) because dealers are having to massively discount them and sell them as "demo" bikes. Maybe its a different story elsewhere in the world and maybe they are selling like hot cakes.

Oh - interesting that you say that, as I just noticed last week that is what has happened over here: the 'Demo' tag has gone on.

I was hoping more for some new bikes loosely based on the Milan show bikes from 2009 which had a sporting appeal- maybe these will appear eventually.

It seems that's a likely plan when the new engine comes out (if that's true, see other New Engine thread).

Even so, future pie in the sky doesn't diminish the present disappointment that Guzzi thinks it has to demean itself with such shockingly hopeless and irrelevant designs in 2011. I understand what Pete is saying and I know there's a a case for 'needs must' in order to make a Euro or two in hard times, but should Guzzi not have gotten beyond this by now? Triumph still have some lardy bikes in their catalogue, probably for the $$ market – but they're not the shop window, they're not what gives the marque its credibility and desirability. They brought the Street Triple to market and knocked the socks off press, buyers and competitors. Guzzi gives the world the V7 bubble car. Now, 2011, Triumph have the new 800 real world on/off road performers and the superb new Speed Triple. Probably a new Sprint tourer coming? Guzzi presents... the 'scrambler as toy' and 'Mr Porky California'. KTM, Aprilia, Ducati: European bikes are right there at the leading edge of design, performance, popularity. Moto Guzzi digs itself into a deeper backwater hole. :(

Why over-react re the scrambler? Is'nt it obvious to just whack some high pipes on the V7 and offer it as another alternative?

I don't have a problem with that. Sure, it's not for me - but the missus might have one. It's a sales-pump stop-gap guy's, that's all. No big deal.

I'm rather waiting for one of those big-bore Terblanche models to be developed and make an appearance...

sure am saving a deposit just in case on looks alone.

... and maybe they are selling like hot cakes...

No no, like hot cakes they're probably selling nowhere. Still too specific ;) Guzzi is used to this I think and quite happy with bringing home smaller bacons at least. In Italy they sell not to bad I heard, and those small block irons cost them nothing in comparison to the Stelvio and its new and difficult teething engine for instance.

Contrary to you I never bought any new ride, all my life, I admit.

hubert